insurance question

Mljstr

My final payment date for June cruise is March 3. I intend to purchase the cruise insurance at that time.

I just this week found out I have to have a medical test on Monday and if the results are not good, I will have to have surgery which will preclude me from taking my June cruise ( and I will also have to cancel my March cruise also. I already have insurance for that one.)

This is a cruise for 4 which we are paying for so the total is substantial. What should I do? Buy the insurance and pay the final payment today before I have the test or wait until I get the results next week? If I am healthy then there is no problem. If there is a problem, I will need surgery and will have to cancel. I am trying to "cut my losses" so to speak. Will I be out the deposit (it is non-refundable) If I cancel next week or will insurance cover that if I make the final payment and purchase the insurance today?

Also, I have quotes for the RCCL insurance and Allianz Travel Ins. The latter is  $50.00 more. Is one better than the other?

I hope I am worrying about nothing but I need to decide soon.

Thanks.

@Mljstr, very sorry to hear about your current situation. Hoping for the best and that no surgery will be needed!

Definitely read the policy terms very carefully for any "pre-existing condition" clauses. I know that when I've bought insurance in the past, whether Royal's or another's, there is a clause that states pre-existing conditions that are present for some time period before purchase (I've typically seen 6 months, but it could vary) will automatically exclude coverage unless the insurance was bought within a short time window from booking (usually 2 two weeks). Some policies allow you to separately purchase a waiver for pre-existing conditions if you buy the policy outside this window.

You'll need to find a policy that either has no pre-existing condition clause (which is probably going to be rare as hen's teeth and exorbitantly expensive), or that allows you buy the waiver so you can be guaranteed coverage should surgery prove necessary. This is absolutely going to be considered a pre-existing condition by any policy issuer since you learned about it prior to purchase, and your doctor would almost certainly be obligated to state as much if asked during an insurance claim audit.

I am really sorry this is happening to you.  

I know for my trip insurance through C&F required you to purchase within 30 days of deposit to cover pre existing conditions. 

Looking at Royal's trip insurance for my state (yours could be different) this is a copy of the exclusions:

"*Please note the following restrictions: Royal Caribbean International will not waive their cancellation penalty and provide a cash refund, should you cancel your cruise vacation for any of the following reasons:  a condition that first presents, worsens, becomes acute or has symptoms causing a person to seek diagnosis, care or treatment, or prompts a change in medication, during the 60 days before you purchased this waiver;"

So for your March cruise, I hope you booked insurance a while ago, you should be ok.  I don't think you should buy anything right now for your June cruise as you won't be covered.  If you do find something to cover pre-existing conditions without a clause like above, then I think it will cost more than the loss of the non-refundable deposit.

Sending you positive thoughts that all will be ok.

The price difference between the two may be the amount of coverage.  You would need to look at each policy detail to know for sure.  We recently bought an annual policy because we havea lot of trips planned plus I travel for work, that had a 6 month pre-existing clause says 6 months.