Surprise birthday event?

rtread

I'm looking for ideas for something special I can do for my wife on her birthday during our seven day cruise on Liberty. Maybe some surprise at dinner in the MDR....or elsewhere on the ship. How do you accomplish something special like this, who do you see, what have you seen or done in the past, etc. All help and ideas welcome!. (Her birthday will be on Day 2 of the cruise)

If you speak to your head waiter or maitre'd on the first night, you should be able to have the waiters for your table come over and sing "happy birthday" and give a slice of cake or other sweet. Easier if you have traditional dining, but I'm sure it can also be arranged with My Time Dining.

Also you can utilize the Royal Gifts to perhaps arrange for decorations in the cabin after dinner in the MDR, and they even have cakes able to be delivered.  I know the wine is able to be delivered to the MDR or the stateroom, so perhaps the cakes are also able to be either?  It would make a rather nice presentation to have your waiter with a whole cake and a candle in it singing happy birthday.  Or if you'd like a more private party, have the cake delivered to your decorated room with a bottle of wine and some flowers?  Just kind of spitballing on what is possible.  I'd also tell your stateroom attendant about the birthday.  Perhaps they may surprise with a celebratory towel animal?  I'd tell anyone you come across about the impending birthday.  Your waitstaff, your stateroom attendant, even the cruise director if he/she happens to be out and about on the ship.  Tell the bartender of your preferred bar if you go there.  Maybe the bartender will make a unique drink for the birthday?

I used Etsy and had a door magnet made for my son's birthday and put it on his stateroom door on his birthday. They have lots of decorations and cheaper than Royal gifts but you need to do it yourself.  You can use Royal gifts for a specialty cake but it is big (7 of us took 2 days to eat it).  However, your waiter can arrange to put a candle in a typical dessert and sing.   I agree with @ThyriC about telling everyone about her birthday and seeing what is possible.

13 hours ago, rtread said:

This brings up another question:  Is cash tipping permissible, advisable, frowned upon? Like if I had a special request for the head waiter or maitre'd , would slipping him a tip be ok?

Cash tipping is totally permissible, and several of us here do it for two main purposes:

• Extra tip for the cabin steward and wait staff at the end of the cruise for exemplary service
  • A dollar passed with our SeaPass card when ordering a beverage and we have a beverage package of some sort; some just pass a 5 or 10 on the first time and then leave it at that, all depends on whether you're going to stick with one bar or float around

If you're asking a favor of the head waiter or matre'd so your wife's birthday is extra-special, it's absolutely fine to tip them whatever you think is appropriate in thanks.

Key thing with cash tips is that the person receiving it gets to keep it for themselves, unlike the daily gratuities that are distributed to all of the crew members involved with your cabin location and dining section.

39 minutes ago, Hoski said:

Don't forget a happy birthday sign for on your cabin door along with a dollar store whiteboard for others to tell your wife happy birthday. 

Good idea! It'll be her 65th birthday....kinda a milestone....so I might try to put her in a shirt or tee-shirt advertising that.