JUNEAU, ALASKA

BTE

Are you looking for a purchased excursion or do your own thing?

Mendenhall Glacier is awesome and a frequent stop on many purchased tours.  It's also possible to do it on your own where you'll have more time to explore the visitor's center and area at your own pace.  I find the visits that are part of a tour tend to be rushed and just hit certain highlights of the park.  

The Mt. Roberts tramway will provide awesome views on good weather days and it's right there by the ships.

Whale watching is popular in Juneau.

Float plane excursions are also popular and the float plane base is very close to the ships.

One time I did a helicopter to Mendenhall Glacier and we walked in it.  That was expensive but so worth it.  Years later on return visits I still remember what it was like actually trekking across the glacier.  

4 minutes ago, Matt said:

On my next trip to Juneau I plan on not booking any excursions, but just taking a cab into Mendenhall Glacier and exploring. It's an incredible place.

Do you have any excursion suggestions for first time there or is it better to skip whale watching & just go & explore Mendenhall Glacier only?

Looks at your times in port.  They are typically much longer than a Caribbean port.  

If you do a morning whale watching excursion you can eat lunch on the ship and go to Mendenhall in the afternoon.  It will make for a long day though.  

Many ports have whale watching.  Not all ports have a glacier that close.  Just to set expectations, you can't touch or walk on the glacier unless you take a helicopter ride.  Still it's a great experience and operated by the USDA:

https://www.fs.usda.gov/detail/tongass/about-forest/offices/?cid=stelprdb5400800

Just now, Matt said:

@BTE we did this excursion last time in Juneau: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/07/17/excursion-focus-alaska-sled-dogs-mushers-camp-juneau-alaska

After, we took a cab to Mendenhall and explored on our own.

We did the same one but with Holland America I recommend it, if you go, tell Gouda we said hi.  She is a retired sled dog whos only job is to lay around and get belly rubs...