How Long Does Specialty Dining Take?

WannaCruise

We booked BOGO on Symphony.  On night 1, we have Hairspray booked for 8:30pm.  I'm the type that likes to sit as close as possible so want to line up early.

Thus how long does a meal at a specialty dining typically take?  And is it the same time for say Chops, Jamie's, 150 Central Park and Wonderland?  

We have more flexibility on night 2 so if one of our selections takes longer then better for that night.  On night 1, hoping to book for 5:30pm and be able to be at the theatre by 7:30pm without feeling rushed at dinner.

The one specialty dining option that I've both heard and personally experienced to regularly run 3 hours or longer is Chef's Table. It's a very sedately paced meal, and with five courses you are not getting through that quickly. The time I had it on Freedom we all met at 6 and didn't leave the dining room until after 9:30; nearly all the late-seating diners were either wrapping up their meal or already gone. Definitely don't book that for any night you have a show to catch!

4 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

For a showtime of 8:30pm, we dine at 6pm. ?

When do you finish?  Do all specialty take around same time?  Or some take longer than others?

I want to be lining up by 7:30pm for this specific show.  My daughter and I are big theater fans and want as close seats as possible.

Just now, JLMoran said:

The one specialty dining option that I've both heard and personally experienced to regularly run 3 hours or longer is Chef's Table. It's a very sedately paced meal, and with five courses you are not getting through that quickly. The time I had it on Freedom we all met at 6 and didn't leave the dining room until after 9:30; nearly all the late-seating diners were either wrapping up their meal or already gone. Definitely don't book that for any night you have a show to catch!

Thanks...don't think that one is available for with BOGO.

We definitely want Chops...and our second choice is probably Jamile's since we'll be with our kids.  But we're open to Wonderland (which my 9 year old wants to try) and 150 Central Park if the timing works out better.

So thoughts between those for timing?  i.e. meal less than 2 hrs

1 minute ago, WannaCruise said:

We definitely want Chops...and our second choice is probably Jamile's since we'll be with our kids.  But we're open to Wonderland (which my 9 year old wants to try) and 150 Central Park if the timing works out better.

If you eat at 5:30 which is right when they open you will be fine being done by 7:30.. Also tell your waiter you have a show. They won't rush you but they will make sure the kitchen does a good job with getting the food out on time. Also Chops, Jamie's, and 150 are Excellent! you can't go wrong with any of them

31 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

When do you finish?  Do all specialty take around same time?  Or some take longer than others?

I want to be lining up by 7:30pm for this specific show.  My daughter and I are big theater fans and want as close seats as possible.

Oh, if you want to line up by 7:30pm, then I would eat by 5:15-5:30pm.  Basically, I leave 2 hours for dinner to be safe.

Just now, WannaCruise said:

Ok...so since no one commented, guessing that they are pretty much all the same length meals between Chops, Jamie's, 150 Central Park and Wonderland.  

I don’t really time the meals exactly. Wonderland felt a bit longer than Jamie’s. But can’t be sure. I have not yet dined at the other two. However, warning...first night sometimes can be a gong show at restaurants. So plan for extra time. I just heard this past Sunday of a guy on Harmony, Star Class, ate at Jamie’s night one and they were there for a while and they did not even get all the stuff they ordered. So you never know. 

25 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I don’t really time the meals exactly. Wonderland felt a bit longer than Jamie’s. But can’t be sure. I have not yet dined at the other two. However, warning...first night sometimes can be a gong show at restaurants. So plan for extra time. I just heard this past Sunday of a guy on Harmony, Star Class, ate at Jamie’s night one and they were there for a while and they did not even get all the stuff they ordered. So you never know. 

Ugh....hopefully ok.  Thanks for the warning. Want to enjoy our meal (and we love dessert so don't want to skip that!)....and also love theatre.  Would have selected the show later in the week but didn't know if my younger one would last to the end as other times are later.

PS - Different restaurant and different ship, but we had slow service at Giovanni's' on Independence first night.  We actually complained and they sent a free bottle of wine to our stateroom to apologize.

2 minutes ago, WannaCruise said:

Ah, I missed the part about BOGO. Sorry about that!

If your 9 year old is into seafood and doesn't mind food that looks different from the usual way it's prepared, Wonderland will be no problem. Symphony also added a children's menu to Wonderland that isn't yet available on the other ships, so that can be an option if nothing on the main menu seems appealing.

2 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

Ah, I missed the part about BOGO. Sorry about that!

If your 9 year old is into seafood and doesn't mind food that looks different from the usual way it's prepared, Wonderland will be no problem. Symphony also added a children's menu to Wonderland that isn't yet available on the other ships, so that can be an option if nothing on the main menu seems appealing.

Np.  Yeah...if not BOGO then we would just book a place on a night without a show and then timing wouldn't matter.

Thank you! Yes I heard that there is a kids menu at Symphony's Wonderland which is why we are keeping it open as an option.  My 9 year old likes fish (salmon) but is iffy on seafood (more scared to try it after a bad experience many years ago).  My son is super picky but he'd be with a regular kids menu.

Wonderland and 150 were the slowest paced ones on my last cruise.  I would think Chops or Jamie's would be the quickest to get in and out of..but just discuss it immediately with your server and host and whoever will listen and they can possibly push it for you.  You can always ask for dessert to go and have one in your party run it up to the room and leave it there to enjoy after the show if needed.

17 minutes ago, AshleyDillo said:

Wonderland and 150 were the slowest paced ones on my last cruise.  I would think Chops or Jamie's would be the quickest to get in and out of..but just discuss it immediately with your server and host and whoever will listen and they can possibly push it for you.  You can always ask for dessert to go and have one in your party run it up to the room and leave it there to enjoy after the show if needed.

Thank you!  So we will try for Chops or Jamies on night 1...see if one can be booked for 5:30pm.  And will let them know of our timing.  Great idea about about dessert....as long as it's not ice cream.