Early Vs late dining

Kwevans

Think about what time you normally eat at home - which is closer to your norm?

Look at the days you are in port - what time do you need to be back on the ship?  If 2 of your 3 nights are later ports, then you'll either have to leave port early or skip dinner in the MDR and eat in the Windjammer.

If you feel like you've chosen wrong, you can always get extra snacks/meal in the Windjammer to either tide you over or have that late night snack.

Hi @Kwevans, welcome to the forums! And congratulations on booking your first cruise, you're in for a great time. ?

Figure that early dining will have more young children present, since parents may not want them staying up too late even on vacation. If you want your son to have a chance at some table mates his own age to talk with, you might have better chances in this time slot. The down side of this time slot, based on what I've read from others who've posted about it, is that it seems the level of service and the quality of the food served has gone down a lot due to servers and the kitchen having a lot of passengers to manage in both traditional and My Time Dining at this hour. Reports of slow service, cold or incorrectly prepared food, and wait staff that never seemed to get to know you seem far more common in this time slot.

With later dining, which is what I did with my family, you won't be as likely to see that many pre-teens and younger. I wasn't really looking for them when we were there, but I honestly can't recall seeing any; and we ate in the main dining room every night. Plenty of teens and twenty-somethings, but not any kids clearly under 12 that I'm remembering. The plus side of this dining slot, at least based on my experience and anecdotally from a few others, is that the level of service and quality of the food are in line with what people remember "from back when". Our food was always hot and well-prepared, our servers remembered our drink preferences and were always attentive, we even got some extra staff helping to deliver drink orders more promptly after the first night.

Hope this helps!

42 minutes ago, HeWhoWaits said:

Early is too early vs. our norm and late is too late vs. our norm. MTD would be the way to go for me but my wife doesn't like the idea.

Can I ask why she doesn't like the idea of MTD?  I've been looking into that as well and I just don't know much about the difference in dining options. 

29 minutes ago, Kwevans said:

Can I ask why she doesn't like the idea of MTD?  I've been looking into that as well and I just don't know much about the difference in dining options. 

It's all about control - even though you can reserve MTD at the same time and request to be seated with the same wait staff every evening, the lack of certainty would drive her crazy.

On 2/19/2019 at 7:31 PM, JLMoran said:

The down side of this time slot, based on what I've read from others who've posted about it, is that it seems the level of service and the quality of the food served has gone down a lot due to servers and the kitchen having a lot of passengers to manage in both traditional and My Time Dining at this hour. Reports of slow service, cold or incorrectly prepared food, and wait staff that never seemed to get to know you seem far more common in this time slot.

The plus side of this dining slot, at least based on my experience and anecdotally from a few others, is that the level of service and quality of the food are in line with what people remember "from back when". Our food was always hot and well-prepared, our servers remembered our drink preferences and were always attentive, we even got some extra staff helping to deliver drink orders more promptly after the first night.

We did MTD on the Allure last month and made reservations for 5:45 and showed up from 5:30-6:15 and had no issues at all. When you go in the 1st night and you like the wait staff you can request to be seated at that table and time slot every night and they will get to know you.

I even got to know the head waiter Sergii, when I asked for savory bites. He made a big deal of how I knew of such things on my 1st Royal cruise and that how dare I demand such things...lol it was all in good fun.

• 3 weeks later...
On 2/21/2019 at 2:08 PM, Jolly Ogre said:

when I asked for savory bites. He made a big deal of how I knew of such things on my 1st Royal cruise and that how dare I demand such things...lol it was all in good fun.

wait...WHAT?  we can ask for them!! OHMYGOSH!!! I missed them on our most recent cruise in December! 

1 hour ago, JennyB said:

wait...WHAT?  we can ask for them!! OHMYGOSH!!! I missed them on our most recent cruise in December! 

Grandeur in October - asked waiter about them at dinner the first night - he had no clue what I was talking about.

Head waiter came over - she knew about them and promised to have them starting night two.

Every dinner for the rest of the cruise included a basket of at least 15 of the little gems - including the night that we arranged to come at early seating instead of our scheduled late seating.

On 2/21/2019 at 2:08 PM, Jolly Ogre said:

We did MTD on the Allure last month and made reservations for 5:45 and showed up from 5:30-6:15 and had no issues at all. When you go in the 1st night and you like the wait staff you can request to be seated at that table and time slot every night and they will get to know you.

I even got to know the head waiter Sergii, when I asked for savory bites. He made a big deal of how I knew of such things on my 1st Royal cruise and that how dare I demand such things...lol it was all in good fun.

Ok, now I have to ask - what are savory bites?

In November, on Mariner, I went with MTD but selected the same time every night. We were seated at the same table, with the same waitstaff each night. The people at our table were the same but on some nights they were gone, doing other things. I guess that is why they chose MTD. One night my DW and I were by ourselves on an 8 top. I wonder what we missed out on.