Celebrity $20 cruise deposits - ending soon

SpeedNoodles

For anyone who is thinking about booking a Celebrity Cruise they currently have $20 cruise deposit - save up to $300, 2 Free Perks and 50% off 3rd & 4th guests -.  Haven't figured out what the catch is, but seems like a "heckuvadeal" (as we say in Minnesota).  Drawback, ending in about 15 hours - just noticed it ?

If anyone is looking at an excuse to try out Celebrity with this low deposit deal, there's a 2 night sailing to Nassau on February 8, 2020 that's included in this deal. 

I just tried to convince my husband to try this, but instead it turned in to "don't spend the money there and book a Junior Suite on Freedom for the sailing we are planning on taking anyway". I'm fine with this. 

2 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

For anyone who is thinking about booking a Celebrity Cruise they currently have $20 cruise deposit - save up to $300, 2 Free Perks and 50% off 3rd & 4th guests -.  Haven't figured out what the catch is, but seems like a "heckuvadeal" (as we say in Minnesota).  Drawback, ending in about 15 hours - just noticed it ?

Oh great...why did you have to go and post that.  Now I HAVE to look.  I was doing so well too.  I have booked anything for two months!

1 hour ago, monctonguy said:

Well when I took a look they had 2 different options..one just said regular deposits with higher perks..or this refundable low deposit..and they had the refundable part highlighted but maybe that's just marketing...

I just did my daily mock booking for the TA I'm doing next year. $20 deposit option is there for both refundable and non-refundable, but perks are only available for non-refundable. That said, Celebrity does not normally offer perks for TA sailings / repositioning cruises like this, so I can see why they only offer it with NRD. Also keep in mind that perks are only offered with Ocean View and higher category rooms. Inside cabins get zilch.

The $20 deposit part might vary by sailing as far as which ones offer it with refundable, but do the mock booking and see.

5 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Oh great...why did you have to go and post that.  Now I HAVE to look.  I was doing so well too.  I have booked anything for two months!

That's me - I'm GREAT at helping other people spend their money.  I told one of my partners at work, and I'm not so sure he didn't book one before he went to bed this morning, lol.

6 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I just did my daily mock booking for the TA I'm doing next year. $20 deposit option is there for both refundable and non-refundable, but perks are only available for non-refundable.

I'm surprised.  Up until this point all Celebrity bookings were "No Risk" and refundable.  It sucks Celebrity has gone down into the NRD toilet...

Just now, twangster said:

I'm surprised.  Up until this point all Celebrity bookings were "No Risk" and refundable.  It sucks Celebrity has gone down into the NRD toilet...

It does seem that they default to refundable, rather than NRD, when selecting multiple rooms for a reservation. When I book a single room, the screen shows me both the NRD and refundable options side-by-side after picking the room, with nothing defaulted. I select which one I want to do and then go from there.

The lack of perks on refundable is something unique to transatlantic and repositioning cruises. When I spoke with a rep at Celebrity, she made no reference to NRD booking as an option and told me up front that those types of cruises don't get perks offered with other sailings. And I just confirmed that "regular" sailings do get the perks on refundable by doing another mock booking, this time for a 2020 Bermuda and Newport, RI sailing (a Verandah cabin to match my earlier mock booking). After picking the cabin, the refundable deposit option showed both "$20 refundable deposit no risk" and choice of 2 complimentary perks; the NRD option showed "deposit with fees*" and all 3 perks, the same as my TA booking.

Looks like for the TA / repositioning cruise, those in the know and who can commit to the sailing get a silent option to go NRD if they want the perks, but it's not publicized at all by X's reps and they continue to go with refundable as the standard.

I wonder if this is the EDGE effect.  When she became bookable people flocked to the site and made bookings just because, why not?  Refundable.

Turns out demand was so high it didn't matter, but had demand been lower Celebrity would have had excess inventory at final payment due date.  The Royal scenario that led to NRDB.