Oasis Class #6 !!!!

7 hours ago, PocketsRN said:

Simple.  Tampa's a whole lot closer.  Well worth the investment ?

I think that's the first time I've ever heard YIMBY -- YES in my back yard!!

10 hours ago, twangster said:

the American classic 1 week vacation.

Might be the American "classic", but it sure ain't my ideal for how long a vacation should be. Nothing frustrated me more when looking for our first cruise booking than seeing how few were over 7 days. I felt a little gipped when I had to "settle" for an 8-night itinerary instead of 10. ? 

Just now, rjac said:

Go for a 2 week B2B. East & West Caribbean itineraries on one of the larger ships (I know, you don't care for the Oasis Class) makes for a really nice vacation. :27_sunglasses:

Well, I could have gotten away with 10 on that cruise due to the kids' school schedule, but not 14. And being a cruise noob at the time, I didn't know B2B was a thing. ?

Sorry to hijack the original thread. Back to "ship-class-I'll-deny-until-I-don't" #6.

28 minutes ago, twangster said:

@Matt there has to be a way to automatically block those that deny the best ships in the fleet from commenting on threads about them...  ?   

I'm actively working on what I've codenamed "Project Sabrina" as a way to weed out the unwanted and/or Canadian posts.

12 hours ago, PocketsRN said:

Simple.  Tampa's a whole lot closer.  Well worth the investment ?

4 hours ago, JLMoran said:

I think that's the first time I've ever heard YIMBY -- YES in my back yard!!

Might be the American "classic", but it sure ain't my ideal for how long a vacation should be. Nothing frustrated me more when looking for our first cruise booking than seeing how few were over 7 days. I felt a little gipped when I had to "settle" for an 8-night itinerary instead of 10. ? 

I know RCCL knows it financial forecast & viability better than we; however, I really wish they would consider moving one of the Oasis Class ships to the West Coast in the near future. Mountain & Pacific time zone patrons would really appreciate sailing on one of those class of ships....

....and if you view a suggestion of itinerary I've posted for an Oasis Class ship, earlier in this thread, JLM just might become a fan of the Oasis Class. ?

20 minutes ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I know RCCL knows it financial forecast & viability better than we; however, I really wish they would consider moving one of the Oasis Class ships to the West Coast in the near future. Mountain & Pacific time zone patrons would really appreciate sailing on one of those class of ships...

....and if you view a suggestion of itinerary I've posted for an Oasis Class ship, earlier in this thread, JLM just might become a fan of the Oasis Class. ?

Not that easy to move a ship of that size from the Atlantic to the Pacific.  That would be one heck of a repositioning cruise though.

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Not that easy to move a ship of that size from the Atlantic to the Pacific.  That would be one heck of a repositioning cruise though.

Have to go through the new mega locks in Panama canal, that would be one ticket I would try and buy as soon as they came out.

12 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

Oop's, I had just read the width also.

That would be a quite a trip then as you noted before, don't know if I would want to make a trip around Cape Horn, guess it might depend on the season.

More likely Suez like Quantum class have done.  I think it's Suez compatible.  Cape Horn would be an ugly transit.  

The challenge with Australia is the super restrictive agriculture regulations.  Central Park would need to be stripped bare before entering Australia and replaced with fake plants.  That's only a couple million so not insurmountable.  Oasis capable ports down under is another matter.  Alaska is currently out of the question until Victoria port expansion is complete, even then I'm not sure it will be Oasis capable.    That's a problem for the PVSA and keeping cruises legal.  Vancouver is out of the question due to the Lions Gate Bridge.  

Oasis is really an Atlantic basin ship.  

1 hour ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

Well, that 9-night Pacific Coast itinerary you proposed back on page 1 does sound interesting. But then I'm dealing with the same pain and expense for flying that you're dealing with right now coming to the east coast. And with the premium pricing that O-class still commands, that becomes an expensive ticket even for 2 in an inside cabin!

Not saying I'd never do it, but if it were announced as a reality even in the next couple of years I'd have to say no just because of finances. Part of what lets me book the sailings I've got booked for this year and next is that I'm spending nothing on flights to get to Cape Liberty.

6 hours ago, Matt said:

I'm actively working on what I've codenamed "Project Sabrina" as a way to weed out the unwanted and/or Canadian posts.

Umm..I think @twangster is referring to Mr. Oasis Class Denier, not this nice Canadian who happens to love OA class!  The more they build the better for me ?

Just now, mattymay said:

I heard a rumor that RCI are going to pay to raise the height of the Sydney Harbour Bridge... Seems feasible with the way they are throwing their cash around at the moment!

That's easier down under because gravity is reversed.  Raising the Verrazano-Narrows bridge in the New York area was cost prohibitive due to gravity issues. 

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

That's easier down under because gravity is reversed.  Raising the Verrazano-Narrows bridge in the New York area was cost prohibitive due to gravity issues. 

So in fact it would be more economical for RCI to sail Oasis class ships down here due to the reversed gravity. I'm now convinced #6 is on its way down under.

5 minutes ago, mattymay said:

So in fact it would be more economical for RCI to sail Oasis class ships down here due to the reversed gravity. I'm now convinced #6 is on its way down under.

Symphony features an air lubrication system that creates a cushion of air that the ship floats on.  Below the equator they reverse the pumps to suck the ship down into the water to counter the reverse gravity. 

The only remaining challenge remains the edge of the earth.  Earlier classes of ships have an easier time crossing over the flat edge of the earth.   They are struggling with the additional length of Oasis class as it pertains to folding the ship over the flat edge of the earth on the way down under.  You have to time reversing the air pumps in the lubrication system just right or the ship is blown off into space.  

Rumor has it that Song of Norway was not sold off at they claim, rather she was lost into space when crossing over the flat edge of the earth sailing towards Australia.  

Some extra details I just read.. not sure if they have been mentioned already on the site.. but here:

"Number six in a series, the ship will get larger, expanding to 231,000 tons, compared to the 2018-built Symphony of the Seas at 228,081 tons.

The number of staterooms will also increase, according to a press release, going to 2,857 cabins, for a double occupancy of 5,714 guests. By comparison, the Symphony of the Seas has a double occupancy of 5,518 passengers."

1 hour ago, mattymay said:

Some extra details I just read.. not sure if they have been mentioned already on the site.. but here:

"Number six in a series, the ship will get larger, expanding to 231,000 tons, compared to the 2018-built Symphony of the Seas at 228,081 tons.

The number of staterooms will also increase, according to a press release, going to 2,857 cabins, for a double occupancy of 5,714 guests. By comparison, the Symphony of the Seas has a double occupancy of 5,518 passengers."

They are moving the Diamond Lounge to wooden planks that will extend out from the ship on the jogging track on both sides making way for additional cabins.  

On 2/18/2019 at 8:41 PM, ultimate_ed said:

So, I must confess, I'm a bit torn on this one.  On the one hand, I'm glad for a new ship.  On the other hand, the Oasis class is now ten years old and when Oasis 6 launches, the class will be 14 years old.  At least from the bit of digging that I've done on RCCL ship classes, that would be the longest time span that a ship class had been in production.  At six ships, it would also tie for the largest class.

I guess I'm a bit concerned that the design isn't as fresh as it was when it launched ten years ago - considering that other fleets have stepped up their design game over the last decade, including RCCL itself with the Quantum class.  Does Oasis 6 make the most sense compared to Icon 3?

I mean, I understand these ships are built to be in service for many years and do get upgraded - we're certainly looking forward to what Oasis herself will be getting.  But still, the basic aesthetic of the ship is itself pretty well fixed by the class, and that aesthetic will be older than any off RCCL's large quantity classes at this stage (It looks like the Vision class six ships came out over about 5 years and the Voyager class five ships came out over 4 years).

Of course, I'm one to talk - I haven't had a chance to sail on any Oasis class ships yet, so any of them will be a new experience for me.

I personally wish RC was nothing but Oasis Class ships. There is nothing better IMHO

25 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I personally wish RC was nothing but Oasis Class ships. There is nothing better IMHO

I personally suspect, once RCCL is able to get ports of calls expanded to accommodate the larger ships(it may take a decade or more) the smaller class of ships with get move to the company's other cruise lines. In other words, the Radiance Class will become Royal's smallest class in the fleet, under the Royal banner. Royal has the potential by 2026 to have 26 ships in it fleet over 90,000tons. 4 Radiance Class, 5 Voyager Class, 3 Freedom Class, 5 Quantum Class, 3 Icon Class, & 6 Oasis Class....that we know of.

6 hours ago, Zambia-Zaire said:

I personally suspect, once RCCL is able to get ports of calls expanded to accommodate the larger ships(it may take a decade or more) the smaller class of ships with get move to the company's other cruise lines. In other words, the Radiance Class will become Royal's smallest class in the fleet, under the Royal banner. Royal has the potential by 2026 to have 26 ships in it fleet over 90,000tons. 4 Radiance Class, 5 Voyager Class, 3 Freedom Class, 5 Quantum Class, 3 Icon Class, & 6 Oasis Class....that we know of.

I think the smallest ships are destined to leave the family.  The cost to refit a Royal ship to meet Celebrity or Azamara standards would be cost prohibitive.  Besides, those CEOs don't want them.  That's why Celebrity is finally getting new ships.  Look at the success of the Edge.  If they spent 200 million on Vision and tried to bring it into the Celebrity fleet it would be a flop.  Plus old ships have old inefficient power plants that can't be easily upgraded.  Ships are built around the engines.   Very difficult to rip them out and replace with modern technology. 

Vision class is unofficially for sale now, just no buyers because no one wants them.  Carnival has the same challenge.  Some of their small old ships are for sale at $66 million and no on buyers.  

9 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

That still leaves a vacant sat or sun in Port Everglades. I’m guessing the return of another Oasis Class in addition to the Allure. 

Oasis is going there for Winter 2020/21 and AL is back to Miami. Personally, I think that they are done with FLL and are switching to Miami now. They don't really need more than 2 Oasis Class ships in South Florida at the Summer anyway.

3 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Oasis is going there for Winter 2020/21 and AL is back to Miami. Personally, I think that they are done with FLL and are switching to Miami now. They don't really need more than 2 Oasis Class ships in South Florida at the Summer anyway.

Yeah perhaps but the two prime cruise ports in the county are Port Everglades and Miami. At some point they will need to take advantage of that big and expensive terminal that was built for Oasis Class ships. Doubt they are “done” with Port Everglades. They can’t shuffle everything to Miami & Port Canaveral is not as desireable. 

8 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

At some point they will need to take advantage of that big and expensive terminal that was built for Oasis Class ships. 

You do realise that they've been using it for 10 years and brought 3 new Oasis Class ships there? They've definitely got their money's worth out of that terminal.