Do 2-way radios work well on the ship?

D.Wanex

Hi we are first time cruisers, my hubby and I and our 2 tweenage children. We really didn’t want to get the internet package for all 4 of us but are trying to figure out a way to communicate with each other while on board. I see that there is a beta chat option on the Royal app but from what I’ve read it doesn’t send notifications, so the only way you know if someone has sent you a message is if you have the app open and constantly check for messages. Does anyone know if 2-way radios work well onboard???

Two-ways work ok depending on the size of the ship...however, I haven't seen them on board all that much...if your ship supports the chat feature in the app, I would go for that, or go old school with a magnetic message board put on the stateroom door(s).

Unless people use earphones, two way radios tend to be irritating to others, not to mention getting your tweenagers to use them, especially if they are in one of the kids programs. It will probably be best simply to have set times to meet for dinner (as an example).

One thing is for certain, they will always return to the stateroom, and will enjoy being off the tether so to speak while on board. Unless they are actively trying to hide from you, even on an Oasis Class ship, you will be able to find where they like to hang out if you need to find them.

First, welcome to the forum!

On the list of prohibited items are ham radios and baby monitors.  While FRS radios are strictly speaking neither of those things the people inspecting bags are given pretty broad latitude to confiscate items that are similar to prohibited items.  Even if you get them on the ship security can take them away if they decide it is a problem.

I would go with a different plan.