New to cruising...OVERTHINKING, STRESSED

Nay

First cruise in 1 week. This blog has really been great and a lifesaver with many topics. I have researched and planned, watched YouTube videos, asked questions and still continue to think up things that I don’t have a clue about. Does anyone else stress & overthink? Just trying to get it right. 

I’m sure the next cruise will be easier. Hoping to go to Alaska next, but have to survive the Southern Caribbean first. We are soooo excited.

Just want to say to each that have answered questions or chimed in, “Thank You” for all of your help.

Hi @Nay! Hope that your cruise next week is everything you hoped it to be and then some! Southern Caribbean is an awesome first itinerary!

Just now, Nay said:

Does anyone else stress & overthink? Just trying to get it right. 

Third and fourth cruise coming up in October and August of 2020, respectively. I'm still checking prices weekly, if not daily at times, in the hope of a chance to bump up my current cabin reservations. And watching the Cruise Planner just as often to try and grab some more deals after the original Black Friday burst last year. And don't get me started on the excursion decisions I've yet to make and that I'm still researching!

Just now, Nay said:

I’m sure the next cruise will be easier.

Absolutely! Getting that first one under your belt makes you feel much more confident the next time you drive up to the cruise terminal and walk onto the ship, even if it's a totally different ship and port and itinerary.

1 minute ago, Nay said:

Hoping to go to Alaska next

Awesome! Just based on the live blogs that everyone here has posted, you're going to love that! It's still on my to-do list for down the line. Was debating it for 2020, but I had a chance come along to do a transatlantic to Canada, Iceland, Greenland, and Ireland on a sailing that leaves from my home port in NJ (the August 2020 one I mentioned), and I just had to grab that one instead!

13 minutes ago, Nay said:

I’m sure the next cruise will be easier. Hoping to go to Alaska next, but have to survive the Southern Caribbean first. 

Yes! We've been on 2 Alaskan cruises, have one this June and are talking about another one (since my husband has decided that he wants to do 3-4 cruises a year now, lol).  Highly recommended!!!

7 hours ago, Nay said:

Does anyone else stress & overthink?

I'm guilty.

But.....I justify it by having convinced myself that that is better than stumbling around clueless.:1_grinning:

I'm in the same boat (no pun intended). I have been on one cruise in the past but that was in 2003 and truthfully have forgotten many details. So I'm brushing up and re-thinking a lot for an upcoming cruise. I'll be watching response you get for sure.

Good luck on your cruise and have fun!

I'm an over planner, over thinker or whatever you want to call it.  It is not stress to me.  I think of it as a great distraction from day to day life.  As I'm sitting at work I often have something cruise related on my second screen.  It makes the countdown to my next cruise bearable!!  Have a great cruise.  

8 minutes ago, Vacation Crazy said:

I'm an over planner, over thinker or whatever you want to call it.  It is not stress to me.  I think of it as a great distraction from day to day life.  As I'm sitting at work I often have something cruise related on my second screen.  It makes the countdown to my next cruise bearable!!  Have a great cruise.  

^^^^ This

7 hours ago, Vacation Crazy said:

Same here. I do all the planning...my wife just has to pack and then enjoy the ride.

19 hours ago, Nay said:

Does anyone else stress & overthink?

You are totally free to stress out, but I'm pretty confident that even if you went into the cruise with no research you would have an AMAZING time. I don't come on here because I'm stressed about my cruises, I do it because I love cruising so much that it's always on my mind and it actually alleviates the stresses of work and life! 

But yea, you it is also great to get all the info you can to optimize your vacation. So have fun researching and planning, but remember that this is exciting! One important thing though, don't sweat the small stuff. You will make minor "mistakes" and will wish you have done something different. That's ok also, just keep a positive attitude about everything and look forward to the next cruise where you will do X,Y & Z better.

Welcome to the community and HAVE FUN!

22 minutes ago, Jolly Ogre said:

Same here. I do all the planning...my wife just has to pack and then enjoy the ride.

Gladly, even with the stress...I do ALL the planning & packing, since husband is still working & pays for it all. Guess thats a pretty good trade

22 minutes ago, JasonL said:

One important thing though, don't sweat the small stuff. You will make minor "mistakes" and will wish you have done something different. That's ok also, just keep a positive attitude about everything and look forward to the next cruise where you will do X,Y & Z better.

This is the most important thing IMO, people that you read that say they have a bad cruise usually have inaccurate expectations of the cruise.

I have found that the crew "wants" to make your cruise an experience you won't forget, so if anything comes up just ask for help.

24 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

This is the most important thing IMO, people that you read that say they have a bad cruise usually have inaccurate expectations of the cruise.

I have found that the crew "wants" to make your cruise an experience you won't forget, so if anything comes up just ask for help.

Oh so true. On our Allure cruise, the crew, ship, and food was fabulous. Some of the passengers, not so much. So much entitlement and rudeness while on a fantastic vacation I will never understand.

Just remember to take some time for yourself, and once your vacation has begun, remember to roll with the punches.  If you go in going "this cruise MUST be perfect!  Every detail must be exactly as how I anticipate it being and if there's any deviation from what I expect, my vacation is ruined!" you're going to have a bad time.  Not saying that perfection isnt going to happen, but sometimes things arent as we envision them and working yourself up into a tizzy doesnt help.  

Remember to breathe and enjoy the happy excitement and anticipation.  You've done your research, you've done your planning.  You've made your lists, you've done everything you can possibly do.  When that ship departs with you waving happily to well wishers sipping on a refreshing beverage of choice, you can rest easily knowing that you did everything right and everything in your power to have an amazing time.  

On 2/17/2019 at 8:08 PM, Nay said:

I have researched and planned, watched YouTube videos, asked questions and still continue to think up things that I don’t have a clue about. Does anyone else stress & overthink? Just trying to get it right

I think this is exactly what everyone ought to be doing. You're spending thousands of dollars on a vacation, wouldn't doing a little homework to ensure you aren't making a mistake or missing out on something greatly benefit you? 

By asking these kinds of questions, you're doing yourself a big favor!