Fort Lauderdale

jhatle01

My wife and I are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale on Adventure of the Seas on April 13th.  We fly in on the afternoon of the 12th and then are staying the night after debarkation as well.  We have not cruised out of this port previously.  What are some good things to do while we are in the area, food recommendations, etc.  Also, debating on whether or not to rent a car or just Uber everywhere.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

1 hour ago, jhatle01 said:

My wife and I are cruising out of Fort Lauderdale on Adventure of the Seas on April 13th.  We fly in on the afternoon of the 12th and then are staying the night after debarkation as well.  We have not cruised out of this port previously.  What are some good things to do while we are in the area, food recommendations, etc.  Also, debating on whether or not to rent a car or just Uber everywhere.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Curious to hear when you think of Adventure, we will be on her for the Halloween sailing! 

1 hour ago, jhatle01 said:

@tonyfsu21 Looking for good restaurants for dinner and things to do during the day after we get off of Adventure on Sunday, like activities or things to see.

La Bamba in Fort Lauderdale is amazing!!! See my Mariner blog (link in bio) for menu and food pics.

Here’s a few ideas:

Before Cruise:

Take an Uber to Fort Lauderdale Beach and spend the day by the beach. There are plenty of places to grab a cocktail or lunch around Las Olas Blvd & A1A. For dinner without zeroing in on a type of food I could recommend Franco & Vinny’s Pizza Shack (great Italian food, casual), Rustic Inn (garlic crabs are really good). If your into something more proper I would highly recommend Mastro’s Ocean Club (excellent and top notch steaks and seafood), Steak 954 (located inside W Fort Lauderdale Beach Resort), Cafe Vico (excellent but pricy Italian), Cafe Martaranos ( Great food but turns into a louder nightclub vibe PM).

If your not into a beach day take a boat ride. Here’s a couple suggestions: Fort Lauderdale (hop on, hop off pass) on the Water Taxi, Jungle Queen (very touristy but if you just want to sight see and don’t mind all the people then it’s ok), wind pirate sailboat charter (very highly recommended and reasonable price to essentially charter a 40’ sailboat with a great and informative captain that will take you down the river and out into the ocean for snorkeling or just sight seeing)

After Cruise:

If you still seek Adventure after getting off the Adventure of the Seas then rent a car and drive to the Florida Keys (Key West if you wanna get real crazy) and spend the day in island paradise!

or

Go have breakfast or lunch at Top Hat Deli and then take an Uber to Everglades Holiday Park and do an airboat ride. Maybe go to try La Bamba Mexican for dinner. If your not into an Airboat ride then your options are simple:

The only thing we do in East Fort Lauderdale is go out on our boats or go to the beach (and flip flops + shorts are a must). 

Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any specific questions. 

It depends on what you want to do. Fort Lauderdale is easy to navigate and if your not going to drive far there is no need to rent a car. Sawgrass Mills is a large outlet mall located about 15 miles West of Fort Lauderdale. Personally I wouldn’t want to spend my time in Fort Lauderdale inside a shopping mall as you can do that pretty much anywhere. Beach, Boating? There is a great state park (used to be called John U Lloyd state park) Just East of the Port you will see that peninsula of land while berthed in Port Everglades which is a state park. You can enjoy the beach there and relax. 

8 hours ago, traveler1980 said:

Our flight after the cruise doesn't leave FLL until 6:25.  Any suggestions for a family after our cruise?  Is there a car rental at the port that we could use and then return at the airport?  

I am unsure about your potential luggage issues. All the cruisers on the weekends by the beach are have their luggage in tow. It’s not out of the ordinary to see large groups of people on the beach with their luggage. With that being said, maybe someone can give you a better idea re: luggage as I have never had to worry about the whole luggage ordeal. As far as specific things to do, go ahead and ask away. If your boys are up to it, check out Wind Pirate Sailboat (luggage issue solved):

https://sailwindpirate.com/

On 2/17/2019 at 10:29 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

La Bamba in Fort Lauderdale is amazing!!! See my Mariner blog (link in bio) for menu and food pics.

I really really wish we were embarking out of fort Lauderdale this year instead of Miami.  Last year I didn't know this was a place to go and there pics looked amazing!!!  Jane

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Vagolferbob said:

For new England seafood, Kelly's landing on 17th st. Nightly dinner specials many with lobstahs.

Manhattan  pizza in harbor shops, owners from Brooklyn and ship dough in from N.Y.

Kelly’s Landing is legit. I have not been impressed by Manhattan pizza though. Maybe I will give it another shot. Franco & Vinny’s pizza shack is the best pizza & Italian in East Fort Lauderdale IMHO

11 minutes ago, tonyfsu21 said:

I personally don’t love it. It’s a dive bar with decent food but I prefer Jimbos Sandbar for the view & better food. The blackened mahi or blackened shrimp tacos @ Jimbos are the best I’ve ever had!

tony,

thanks for the input.  Any decent seafood places within walking distance of the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street? 

8 minutes ago, DandA said:

tony,

thanks for the input.  Any decent seafood places within walking distance of the Holiday Inn Express on 17th Street? 

Check out Boatyard. Nice ambiance and good seafood within walking distance from your hotel. If you want to venture out I have plenty of other options via a short Uber or water taxi ride away. 

On 2/20/2019 at 11:09 PM, traveler1980 said:

Our flight after the cruise doesn't leave FLL until 6:25.  Any suggestions for a family after our cruise?  Is there a car rental at the port that we could use and then return at the airport?  

After a miserable time waiting for our flight out in December with our kids we are trying something different.  We are renting a car and got a hotel for the day with a pool.  It isn't right at the beach but we get a room for the day so we can nap and shower plus the pool.  It was actually very inexpensive.  The other option is some of the hotels at the beach offer pool passes for the day but you don't get a room although they will store your luggage.