RoyalUp

LindaN

I just got an email asking if I want to bid on a cabin upgrade.  I’m on Symphony April 13th, so spring break.  I can’t imagine there are cabins left.  My question is are these cabins no one wants or would I have a chance of getting a decent cabin if I bid on one?  Whose done this before?  Did you get a cabin in a loud place or one with a blocked view,  or one that was some other way undesirable?

Below is some general information from different people on RoyalUp, I believe there is more if you add RoyalUp to the above search window.

I know there are people that have stated they have won their bid, but I don't remember anyone that has won, actually saying they have been on their cruise yet.

So we need to hear from people that have won their bid and have gone on their cruise!

50 minutes ago, Bob_KY said:

I just won a "royal up" from a guaranteed JS to a GS for my February 24 Allure sailng.  Awesome!

Please let the blog know if the room was a good one or not. Can you tell the blog where you bid? I know they give a range, did you bid low end, middle or towards the high end?

Thanks.

Just now, Kelsjava said:

I can let you know tomorrow when I board and find my room

Thanks.

We sailed on Mariner Jan 30-Feb 4 (our first cruise ever).  We booked an Ocean View (9214) and received the upgrade email.  We bid on an Ocean View Balcony.  Minimum bid $100 and we bid $120.  

A week before sailing we received notice that our bid was accepted.  We were put in room 8294.  Starboard side, just forward of the "bulge".  Nice room for our first cruise.

Tiny260.  They have us in Stateroom 12654.

Junior and Grand Suites are all good locations.   Here is what I think.  The bids are relative to the stateroom you've already booked.  Michelle (MEI) booked me a guaranteed junior suite. Great price.   I bid 600 pp for an upgrade.  The default was 700 pp.  I was notified this morning.  So, I end up paying around $3700 (add in the ins, taxes, etc...).  Really happy about the process and I feel I got a great deal.  Looking forward to go from Sea to Sky Class perks.  Just cancelled my voom package.  ?

Hey all-

I'm cruising solo in 2 weeks on Brilliance.  The terms indicate that: 
Offers are based on two occupants per stateroom - only the first and second guest will be charged.

... but that seems a little unclear if there's only one person in the stateroom to begin with.  Probably not worth paying a faux-single-supplement twice (in my case, would be from a balcony to a JS most likely) and not even get the bonus night credits usually associated with the suites ... but I'd possibly entertain it just for the bigger room anyways.

appreciate any feedback on this!

9 hours ago, PurdueFlyer said:

Hey all-

Offers are based on two occupants per stateroom - only the first and second guest will be charged.

... but that seems a little unclear if there's only one person in the stateroom to begin with.  Probably not worth paying a faux-single-supplement twice (in my case, would be from a balcony to a JS most likely) and not even get the bonus night credits usually associated with the suites ... but I'd possibly entertain it just for the bigger room anyways.

Pinging @twangster on the solo sailing, I have no idea.

10 hours ago, PurdueFlyer said:

Hey all-

When you bid as a solo your offer will be doubled as you go through the process.  Bid $100 and it will display your actual amount is $200, no different compared to a bid from two people in a cabin making an offer. 

You can try and see it before commiting your offer. 

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

That is great, it appears to be a really good room and great location.

I think so.  This cruise will be a "first" for several reasons: as Diamond (84) members and experiencing Sky Suite Class.  I like that the stateroom appears close to the Diamond  Club.  I saved on voom and we are rethinking the Ultimate Dining Pkg because of the coastal kitchen.  That maybe a good question to post.  Is the UDP worth it when you have Sky Class perks?

1 hour ago, Bob_KY said:

I saved on voom and we are rethinking the Ultimate Dining Pkg because of the coastal kitchen.  That maybe a good question to post.  Is the UDP worth it when you have Sky Class perks?

IMO, no.  If I had a GS or above on Allure, I would most likely cancel my UDP.  The food in CK rivals any specialty restaurant and the view there beats all specialty restaurants.

as a data point, received the following offer today for a solo cruiser.  sailing in 10 days on Brilliance (4-nighter) & currently booked in a balcony. 

was offered $80pp ($160 total) for a JS, and $200pp ($400 total) for a Grand Suite.  

I consider the $160 to be a pretty good deal for a JS upgrade, but I don't really need the extra space for 1 person and I can use the money elsewhere onboard.  The $400 / GS upgrade is more than I'm willing to spend (and for no extra suite nights credit), although it would be cool to check out a Grand Suite.  

14 hours ago, PurdueFlyer said:

as a data point, received the following offer today for a solo cruiser.  sailing in 10 days on Brilliance (4-nighter) & currently booked in a balcony. 

was offered $80pp ($160 total) for a JS, and $200pp ($400 total) for a Grand Suite.  

Just to be clear, RoyalUp is an opportunity to bid on an upgrade that it most cases isn't actually available. 

It's not an offer of an upgrade, it's an offer to play a lottery game that likely will have no winners.  You only pay if do actually get an upgrade which is unlikely.  

3 hours ago, twangster said:

Just to be clear, RoyalUp is an opportunity to bid on an upgrade that it most cases isn't actually available. 

It's not an offer of an upgrade, it's an offer to play a lottery game that likely will have no winners.  You only pay if do actually get an upgrade which is unlikely.  

Only got to participate in RoyalUp once.  I enjoyed success.  My approach was not a low ball bid; I was motivated for the upgrade. 

I "ghost booked" 1 year out on the same ship for the statroom I wanted to upgrade to.  I tailored my bid off that price.  Based on this approach, I saved $600 on a GS (total).  Probably, less savings if I looked 2 years out.  Canceling the ultimate dining pkg and the voom pkg (not needed for GS), I almost paid for half of the upgrade. 

11 minutes ago, Bob_KY said:

Only got to participate in RoyalUp once.  I enjoyed success.  My approach was not a low ball bid; I was motivated for the upgrade. 

I "ghost booked" 1 year out on the same ship for the statroom I wanted to upgrade to.  I tailored my bid off that price.  Based on this approach, I saved $600 on a GS (total).  Probably, less savings if I looked 2 years out.  Canceling the ultimate dining pkg and the voom pkg (not needed for GS), I almost paid for half of the upgrade. 

Wow, that’s smart.  Would have sucked if it backfired on you.