Navigator supported by the app!

Thetechie

The challenge with the chat features on the ships were it has been enabled in a BETA form (Allure and Harmony so far), is that it doesn't support notifications.  This means you have to have the app open and looking for a chat message to appear.  If you close the app or lock your phone you will have no idea someone tried to chat with you, until you open the app and go looking for the chat.

This is why they had to open up their firewall and allow push notifications for RoyalIQ (the old app for Harmony and Quantum class).  By doing so it allowed all iMessages to work, even from land based iPhones at home.   Basically iMessage worked for free.  RCI doesn't want to do that for the new app since it stops people from buying the Voom packages.    

Personally I don't see Royal being successful trying to convince Apple to re-write iMessages to work differently, or to have Apple change the way push notification work.  Not any time soon.  

Until then, if you want to know someone sent you a message you are best to purchase the basic Surf level of Voom in a multi-device plan.  Yes this costs money but as a parent who has cruised with teens it's worth every penny.  

3 hours ago, Rose City Cruiser said:

I understand this is a RCL forum but has anyone experienced DCL/NCL's in-app chat feature?  Were you able to use iMessage w/o purchasing internet plan? 

As of December 2017, the DCL in app chat feature was just ok.  Messages would not always pop up in real time.  Sometimes, I would message my parents or my sisters and they would not receive it until much later.  Sometimes they got it right away.  Kind of defeats the purpose of the chat feature.  We eventually gave up on that as our way of communication.  We were not able to use iMessage as we did not have internet on that cruise.  I definitely think that RC trumps DCL in the internet department. 

12 hours ago, Sweety said:

We are on Navigator, June 24, 2019 with 21 family members. This will be a great feature to have so everyone can stay in touch. We have 6 cabins booked.

We are on that sailing as well with a large group!   My daughter is dancing on the ship.  We can’t wait (especially since the last few weeks have been so brutal weather-wise.  We are in Michigan.)

21 minutes ago, Bbjunkie said:

We are on that sailing as well with a large group!   My daughter is dancing on the ship.  We can’t wait (especially since the last few weeks have been so brutal weather-wise.  We are in Michigan.)

We are in Chicago. Congratulations on your daughter dancing on the ship. My cousin is a singer with Celebrity. What is your daughter's name? We will look for her.

10 hours ago, twangster said:

Looks like Navigator's time in the app was short lived.  It's back on the no-app list.

Presumably that was a mistake as they get ready to add Navigator to the app.  It will probably re-appear just before her maiden voyage post-dry dock:

That's OK, just gives me hope that they are in-fact adding it after the refurb!

On 2/15/2019 at 3:59 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I definitely think that RC trumps DCL in the internet department. 

This may be the scariest statement i have ever heard uttered .... If i read it correctly RC is not the worst internet department in the history of creation ?!?!??!? I thought we had the threat to the future of the web contained in RC's basement but it may have escaped !!

5 hours ago, jticarruthers said:

This may be the scariest statement i have ever heard uttered .... If i read it correctly RC is not the worst internet department in the history of creation ?!?!??!? I thought we had the threat to the future of the web contained in RC's basement but it may have escaped !!

When I posted that statement, I was referring to their on board internet.  But now, thinking of DCL's website and how they manage reservations, I'm going to have to give the edge to RC as well in that department, scary as it might be.  I have not visited DCL's website since our cruise in December 2017, so maybe they have improved?