Did RC finish its shipwide WiFi upgrade for all its ships?

RWilkes

I'd like to find out if Royal Caribbean finished its WiFi upgrade for all its ships where the WiFi is available shipwide vice at certain hotspots. I have a blog entry on this and would like to update it if they've finished the upgrade for ALL their ships. I know they were working on it but, I don't know when the last ship was to have this finished.

Most Royal Caribbean ships have stem-to-stern wifi.  I know at least Jewel of the Seas has not gotten that upgrade yet and that may be the last ship that has not received it yet.

FloatMe is correct that only the Oasis and Quantum class ships have Voom, high speed internet.

I just noticed that they indicated that they will adding voom to "all ships that sail in the caribbean will have voom by may of 2016". Not necessarily the entire fleet but only ships in the caribbean? ?

https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&rct=j&url=http://www.creative.rccl.com/Sales/Royal/Onboard_Experience/15044962_Voom_Trade_Flyer.pdf&ved=0CCcQFjAEahUKEwih0Y-88ZTIAhXCPD4KHXInAoY&usg=AFQjCNEJd1x1FKk2RHWz1gO5CCsQqHuuoQ&sig2=LOu3p5ezodvJStRImQdpHQ

Most Royal Caribbean ships have stem-to-stern wifi.  I know at least Jewel of the Seas has not gotten that upgrade yet and that may be the last ship that has not received it yet.

FloatMe is correct that only the Oasis and Quantum class ships have Voom, high speed internet.

To my knowledge with exception of quantum and Oasis class, no other ship has been upgraded to "voom" yet. Although Adventure, Indi and freedom do have pervasive wifi, they are al due for the next Gen upgrade to voom. Not that it matters to me, next cruise is not until Oct,  2016..... sigh! They will all be upgraded by then.

Thanks for the info. Matt gave me the specific information I was looking for i.e. Royal Caribbean hasn't finished upgrading all its ships to stem to stern WiFi. I am interested to see if their new Voom lives up to the hype. I've never sailed on an Oasis or Quantum class ship so, I haven't gotten to try it out yet.

Floatme, I feel for you. My next cruise won't be until November 2016 when I do a shortened trans-atlantic cruise on Independence of the Seas. I'm doing it just to get the cruise points. Also, I will be doing a land tour of Japan April 2016 with a company called Globus.

Thankfully, after I do my November 2016 cruise on Independence of the Seas, I'll be treating my favorite aunt and uncle to their first Alaska cruise May of 2017 out of Seattle. That should be a lot of fun. I did an Alaska cruise on Radiance of the Seas out of Vancouver and, it was awesome.

Thankfully, after I do my November 2016 cruise on Independence of the Seas, I'll be treating my favorite aunt and uncle to their first Alaska cruise May of 2017 out of Seattle. That should be a lot of fun. I did an Alaska cruise on Radiance of the Seas out of Vancouver and, it was awesome.

Sounds like a great cruise!

I just noticed that they indicated that they will adding voom to "all ships that sail in the caribbean will have voom by may of 2016". Not necessarily the entire fleet but only ships in the caribbean? ?

As I understand it, the VOOM internet service uses satellites that use a spot beam technology to concentrate their signal in particular locations (Caribbean, Mediterranean, or Asia, according to a FAQ I saw online). A ship in Alaska wouldn't be able to receive the satellite signal there. I guess that's why they're concentrating on the ships sailing in the Caribbean first.

The Alaska cruise should be fun Matt. It'll be a totally new experience for my aunt and uncle and offer new experiences for me i.e. I'll get to see the Tracy Fjord glacier and visit Victoria, British Columbia which I've never been to. Lastly, I plan to fly out a day early and do a little sightseeing in Seattle before the cruise. Thanks for the info on the WiFi. I try to provide people who read my blog current info on that though it isn't as thorough as your Royal Caribbean blog.

As I understand it, the VOOM internet service uses satellites that use a spot beam technology to concentrate their signal in particular locations (Caribbean, Mediterranean, or Asia, according to a FAQ I saw online). A ship in Alaska wouldn't be able to receive the satellite signal there. I guess that's why they're concentrating on the ships sailing in the Caribbean first.

That's correct.  It's ship specific.  Has more to do with aligning the satellite to a particular ship as well as launching more capacity into space.

This post explains it fairly well: http://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2014/12/19/o3b-networks-succesfully-launches-four-more-satellites-add-additional-support-royal