Bermuda snorkeling excursions

Cak1057

Hi @Cak1057, welcome to the forums!

Before we try to answer that, could you clarify for us whether you'll be in Bermuda overnight, or just for the day? Reason being that if you have an overnight, there's little need to book something with Royal since you don't need that assurance of the ship waiting around for you should you run late.

OK. In that case I would advise going to Trip Advisor and doing a search there for snorkeling excursions. You'll find lots of reviews from folks who've done them, along with contact info for each.

I've heard from @coneyraven, one of the members here, that Snorkel Beach is actually really lousy for snorkeling, with lots of rocks and few fish or other interesting things to see; so I'd definitely advise against any excursion that goes there. Apart from that, I'd say the options are wide open.

One possibility that I'll throw out there as a sort of DIY option is to take the ferry from the dockyard, where the ship ports, to St. George's. After you arrive there, you can easily walk over to Tobacco Bay Beach, where they rent out snorkel gear along with beach chairs and umbrellas, and also serve food. It's really pretty there, only a half-mile walk from the heart of St. George's. Doing it on your own like that, you can wander St. George's and the shops there before and/or after going snorkeling, as well have a nice beach day.

https://www.bermuda.com/tobacco-bay-beach/

14 hours ago, JLMoran said:

OK. In that case I would advise going to Trip Advisor and doing a search there for snorkeling excursions. You'll find lots of reviews from folks who've done them, along with contact info for each.

I've heard from @coneyraven, one of the members here, that Snorkel Beach is actually really lousy for snorkeling, with lots of rocks and few fish or other interesting things to see; so I'd definitely advise against any excursion that goes there. Apart from that, I'd say the options are wide open.

One possibility that I'll throw out there as a sort of DIY option is to take the ferry from the dockyard, where the ship ports, to St. George's. After you arrive there, you can easily walk over to Tobacco Bay Beach, where they rent out snorkel gear along with beach chairs and umbrellas, and also serve food. It's really pretty there, only a half-mile walk from the heart of St. George's. Doing it on your own like that, you can wander St. George's and the shops there before and/or after going snorkeling, as well have a nice beach day.

https://www.bermuda.com/tobacco-bay-beach/

You were reading my mind .... We saw several people snorkeling in and around Tobacco Bay.  Love that beach....the tide there is insane in terms of depth between low and high tide.....it amounts to probably a good 4 to 5 feet differential.

You may also want to look into "helmet diving"  in bermuda.  Its a unique kind of diving where you wear a helmet over your head that pumps in air and you just breathe normally (through nose or mouth, doesnt matter, the helmet is full of air)  You walk on the sea floor and the weight of the helmet (and an additional weight belt if you're of the more buoyant build) helps keep you on the sea floor.  The undersea walks usually are around 30 minutes or so and your guide points out the local undersea life (the one I was on the guide made a P with his fingers for plant, an A for animal and F for fish).  You obviously cant talk between those in the helmets but its just a really unique experience breathing underwater without something over your nose and mouth.

I'd look online for the tour guide that does this as I believe there's only one left on the island.  They've been doing it for decades and is super safe and rather well rated.