Alaska 2020 sailings

SpeedNoodles

So my husband has given instructions for me to find another cruise (yay!) and when I asked where he really wants to go he said Alaska (again).  Clearly there are far more choices in the Caribbean, but he isn't really interested in that because "all of the islands are the same and what is there to do other than sit on the beach?" (which neither of us do well).  We also love cruising the Canada/New England area, but Royal has dumped their really great itineraries in that area.  So when I look at Alaska in 2020, the only ship they have listed in September is Ovation (which we'll be sailing this year).  I was hoping to find a smaller ship to sail in September, but so far they only have them listed through August. Do those with more experience think that this will be their full 2020 Alaskan itineraries, or have they just not finished announcing the year?

Well, you are in luck. The Radiance of the Seas does Alaskan cruises. In fact, my wife and I booked a 10 day cruise tour August 11 on the Radiance.  We start off in Anchorage and spend  a few days we will be on land. We will spend time in Denali, Talkeetna and Seward. We board the ship in Seward, take the Southern route and end up in Vancouver. With the sale they have going on now, it's hard to pass up! Check out the Radiance! :27_sunglasses:

Just now, rjac said:

Well, you are in luck. The Radiance of the Seas does Alaskan cruises. In fact, my wife and I booked a 10 day cruise tour August 11 on the Radiance.  We start off in Anchorage and spend  a few days we will be on land. We will spend time in Denali, Talkeetna and Seward. We board the ship in Seward, take the Southern route and end up in Vancouver. With the sale they have going on now, it's hard to pass up! Check out the Radiance! :27_sunglasses:

Yep, they do, but there's nothing scheduled past August 2020 - where are the September sailings?

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/11/05/royal-caribbean-releases-2020-alaska-and-hawaii-sailings

"UPDATE: While the sailings appear on Royal Caribbean's website, the sailings do not appear to be bookable."

Stay tuned, it looks they are making more changes for 2020, possibly because Serenade will also be there.

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

Having said that, this past year Radiance did it's last Southbound run on 8/31/18.  

Other lines stay in Alaska longer in the season,  Royal tends to pull out and head South earlier.   

My experience is just so old. My Vision cruise to Alaska was in mid September, but way back in 2001. I really don't want to jump to another line. This will be challenging!

Just now, rjac said:

I don't think the September weather in Alaska would be a fun time for cruising....rain, colder, cloudy. Go for the August Radiance! :27_sunglasses:

My first cruise was in September in Alaska and it was beautiful. The whales were migrating, it never rained.  Actually, I usually go to the Pacific Northwest in September and I typically have great weather. But the best part is most kids are back in school, and it's easier to get approved PTO.

We had great weather on the 8/31/2018 sailing.  Cheaper cruise fares as well.  I was under $1k on a last minute deal.  Granted an inside cabin, but it was an awesome cruise.  

I think Royal knows fares drop in September which why they pull out - they can't capitalize on summer peak so they sail to Hawaii to minimize losses from Alaska shoulder season.  

Just now, twangster said:

We had great weather on the 8/31/2018 sailing.  Cheaper cruise fares as well.  I was under $1k on a last minute deal.  Granted an inside cabin, but it was an awesome cruise.  

I think Royal knows fares drop in September which why they pull out - they can't capitalize on summer peak so they sail to Hawaii to minimize losses from Alaska shoulder season.  

I guess that might be close enough for most kids getting back to school. But Labor Day is an issue. Thanks for all of the input!. At least I know not to wait to find a Sept sailing.  

Ok you guys, I'm really laughing. Since I couldn't decide on what to do about this fall 2020 cruise, I went through and made a list of all of the Sept/Oct cruises that I thought he  might be interested in, as well as the Radiance Alaskan cruises in Aug, and put them in front of my husband, and asked him to give an opinion. They consisted of the 3 Alaskan cruises, several Caribbean cruises, and a Canada/New England cruise.  He surprised me and picked the Canada/New England cruise.  When I mentioned that one of the dates is a RoyalCaribbeanBlog Group Cruise, he said "well, that sounds like fun!" (he doesn't really follow the site much unless I send him a link).

So there ya go - we're going on the GROUP CRUISE!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Ok you guys, I'm really laughing. Since I couldn't decide on what to do about this fall 2020 cruise, I went through and made a list of all of the Sept/Oct cruises that I thought he  might be interested in, as well as the Radiance Alaskan cruises in Aug, and put them in front of my husband, and asked him to give an opinion. They consisted of the 3 Alaskan cruises, several Caribbean cruises, and a Canada/New England cruise.  He surprised me and picked the Canada/New England cruise.  When I mentioned that one of the dates is a RoyalCaribbeanBlog Group Cruise, he said "well, that sounds like fun!" (he doesn't really follow the site much unless I send him a link).

YIPPEE !!!  They are so much fun.  IF you're talking about the October Brilliance cruise, we are on that one, too !!!

6 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

Soooooo you start a thread titled Alaska 2020 and end up booking a cruise for Canada......on the coast furthest from Alaska! ? That deserves a timeout......to the chalkboard you go! 

IMG_0726.JPG