Cruise Virgin

Idaho Girl

I haven't booked a cruise yet because I am still trying to learn what I should do. I know this sounds crazy, but I was wanting to go over my kids spring break... which now I am learning that most people book months and months in advance. Spring break is March 17-23rd but I wouldn't need to be gone the whole time and could overlap a few days. By watching some videos, I heard that booking through a travel agent is good. Any suggestions on companies?

Book as far out in advance as possible for the best price. Research the kinds of things you are interested in and then see which ships offer those things. Oasis class ships have the most activities, but are the newest and most expensive. The Freedom ships are great too, they are a little smaller but still have a ton to do. Those are the 2 classes I recommend for a 1st time cruiser with young kids.

I prefer booking at least 18 months in advance(although if I get sudden time off I'd consider last minute). It's cheaper the further out you book. Also keep in mind that anytime kids are out of school prices will be higher, supply and demand. 

I also recommend a 7 night cruise, especially coming from Idaho. 

If you're really really interested in taking a cruise this March and not March of next year, take a look at this article on last-minute trip planning, posted by @Matt (the awesome guy who runs this site). Good tips there on finding things like the "Going, Going, Gone" offers and getting your paperwork and any airfare in order.

Gotta be honest, trying to book this close to a sail date is probably going to be really stressful and difficult. As the article I linked to says, it can be done but it's going to be an intense few weeks to pull it off. If you can put it off for a year, that will be much better. That will give you enough time to find a travel agent, pick an itinerary and cruise ship (and boy will you get lots of advice here on which of each is the best!), and make your booking.

That is our spring break too.  We are sailing a less expensive ship, Adventure, however the last time I checked rooms for 4 were sold out.  You may want to use MEI Travel who many of us use and is a sponsor of the blog.    

I suggest Liberty, Independence, Mariner, Navigator or an Oasis class ship (Harmony or Symphony) but honestly you can't be too choosy as you are so late to plan.  I do know of people who booked the week before on Harmony so it is possible.

Just an FYI, I'm booked through 2021 for Spring Break.  There are certain requirements I need for 2 staterooms so like to book early to make sure they are met.  As I can book refundable deposits there is no risk.

3 hours ago, Idaho Girl said:

I haven't booked a cruise yet because I am still trying to learn what I should do. I know this sounds crazy, but I was wanting to go over my kids spring break... which now I am learning that most people book months and months in advance. Spring break is March 17-23rd but I wouldn't need to be gone the whole time and could overlap a few days. By watching some videos, I heard that booking through a travel agent is good. Any suggestions on companies?

You don't have much time for passport application, if you haven't already got them. If you do, great!! ? Also, a lot of us on these message boards use MEI Travel. @Sharla has been wonderful to work with. 

Like most on here have said .....start with a good travel agency.  I use someone local that's been doing my cruises for years and they specialize in cruises.  Being from Idaho I'm guessing there probably isn't many agencies that have experience in cruises.  I have heard nothing but good things about MEI so it would be your best bet to start there.  Travel agencies do not charge more than you would get if you booked it directly from Royal Caribbean and they do all the work for you.  Good luck!

Like others have said ..... the beauty of a good travel agent is that there is no additional cost to you.... yet, they go to bat for you, they do all the work for you, they can walk you through the process and can guide you with good suggestions.....

I work with @michelle with MEI --- she is awesome and incredibly patient with all of our questions ..... God love her, she takes the headache so we can go stress free.