How to get Traditional Dining

GlowTheWeird

We haven’t been on a cruise for a few years because.... life ?

Super excited to be going on an August 2019 Harmony of the Seas cruise.   When we booked this trip back in November it gave us no traditional dining option , only My Time Dining.  I prefer the traditional style and getting to know our waiter, and table mates.   Is this something that opens up later? Or did I somehow miss the boat with this option ? (Miss the boat... hahaha I didn’t even try to do that) 

Thanks everyone!

Long time podcast listener, first time poster ?

5 hours ago, GlowTheWeird said:

We haven’t been on a cruise for a few years because.... life ?

Super excited to be going on an August 2019 Harmony of the Seas cruise.   When we booked this trip back in November it gave us no traditional dining option , only My Time Dining.  I prefer the traditional style and getting to know our waiter, and table mates.   Is this something that opens up later? Or did I somehow miss the boat with this option ? (Miss the boat... hahaha I didn’t even try to do that) 

Thanks everyone!

Long time podcast listener, first time poster ?

When you first board the ship head over to guest services and tell them that you want traditional dining (5:30pm or 8:30pm) but missed that part when booking, then when You go to the the main dining room ask if you can be seated at the same table each night.

I had done the same thing because I booked a junior suite on Oasis and one of the perks was that I got to have dinner in the coastal kitchen each night of the cruise so when I got onboard I did not go to the coastal kitchen right away to make reservations and instead explored the ship and later went to make reservations and was unable to because all of the dining times were full and so I went to guest services and told them what happened and they got me reservations at the MDR (Main dining room) for 3 nights out of the week and reservations for the coastal kitchen 3 nights out of the week, I would have liked to eat at the coastal kitchen for 3 nights instead of only 3 nights. I know that only adds up to 6 night, because on the second night i knew that I had a reservation in the MDR which I had made months ago since I had a 2 celebrations and that is where I was told that the celebrations were going to be held and had the celebrations set for a specific night so I made reservations for that 1 night in the MDR. I did not bother making reservations for other nights because I thought that I would be able to eat at the CK (Coastal Kitchen). 

WHAT I WAS SAYING BY ALL OF THAT IS THAT YOU WHOULD MAKE RESERVATIONS FOR THE MDR IN ADVANCE!

Unless something has changed recently, you will still get the same team, and probably the same table, every night even with My Time. 

We have never selected the set dining times (traditional dining), partially because the earlier dining time books so fast and because of our need for flexibility on port days, and we have always been seated in the same section with the same team.

We do tend to pick similar times each evening (eg. 6:00 PM) and have always been seated at the same table with the same team every night. A couple of times (on port days) we've picked a later dining time and we were still seated in the same section (same team), but at a different table since it was of course not available at that later time slot. On those odd nights, if another table is not immediately available in that section, we may have had to wait 10 minutes or so for them to clear a table.

Usually they will ask you at some point during the meal what your plans are for the next evening and they really, really, really, try to accommodate you and keep you with the same team throughout the cruise!

Have a great time!

... and you still can link your dining reservations with other folks and sit at the same table with My Time... the last couple of cruises we traveled with family in other cabins and always sat with them. To date, we have not seen any disadvantage with My Time.

I think people tend to choose the traditional dining because it's simple and they do not need to make individual reservations online when dining reservations open up in the Cruise Planner (which takes all of 10 minutes).

23 minutes ago, JohnK6404 said:

... and you still can link your dining reservations with other folks and sit at the same table with My Time... the last couple of cruises we traveled with family in other cabins and always sat with them. To date, we have not seen any disadvantage with My Time.

I think people tend to choose the traditional dining because it's simple and they do not need to make individual reservations online when dining reservations open up in the Cruise Planner (which takes all of 10 minutes).

I guess because it’s different than I’m used to I shy away from it. Routine, familiar etc.  But everyone is conviencing me that maybe it won’t be so bad....Did you have any problems with My Time overlapping evening activities/shows?    

43 minutes ago, GlowTheWeird said:

Did you have any problems with My Time overlapping evening activities/shows?    

That's the beauty of My Time... total flexibility when you need it...

However, we try to book the same time each evening (for us this upcoming cruise - 6:00 PM... seems to be an ideal time slot for us). Sort of a modified Traditional Dining... this way you always get the same team and table. 

Even on the days we are in Labadee (4 PM departure) and Jamaica (6 PM) that time really works. All of the shows are later in the evening. The only day we picked a later dining time (7:45 PM) was the day in Cozumel since the ship does not depart until 7:00 PM. We did not want to have to rush back to the ship for dinner.

We work the shows around the dining schedule and daytime excursions. Last night we were able to book every show (Mamma Mia, both water shows, headliner, comedy club, ice show) when we wanted to go (eg. not too late on an evening before we're in port early) without overlapping the dining time and allowing enough time to get to the show without rushing. Only on one sea day do we have 2 shows (one in the afternoon, the ice show, and one later in the evening)... entertainment is nicely spread out throughout the cruise. We actually have a couple of days with no scheduled shows... nice!

Sorry for the novel! To answer your question, with a little planning, you should have no problems with My Time overlapping because you decide when to eat and which show to go to. Each of the shows, except for the musical, will tend to have multiple shows on any given day (usually 2 or 3 times). The musical tends to have one show each of the first 3 days of the cruise (at least on Allure)... an early evening on one day, later evening show the next and afternoon show on the last day.

Also, take a peek at a Cruise Compass from a prior Harmony sailing to get a feel for the entertainment schedule before it opens up in your Cruise Planner...

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass?ship=1071

16 hours ago, JohnK6404 said:

That's the beauty of My Time... total flexibility when you need it...

However, we try to book the same time each evening (for us this upcoming cruise - 6:00 PM... seems to be an ideal time slot for us). Sort of a modified Traditional Dining... this way you always get the same team and table. 

Even on the days we are in Labadee (4 PM departure) and Jamaica (6 PM) that time really works. All of the shows are later in the evening. The only day we picked a later dining time (7:45 PM) was the day in Cozumel since the ship does not depart until 7:00 PM. We did not want to have to rush back to the ship for dinner.

We work the shows around the dining schedule and daytime excursions. Last night we were able to book every show (Mamma Mia, both water shows, headliner, comedy club, ice show) when we wanted to go (eg. not too late on an evening before we're in port early) without overlapping the dining time and allowing enough time to get to the show without rushing. Only on one sea day do we have 2 shows (one in the afternoon, the ice show, and one later in the evening)... entertainment is nicely spread out throughout the cruise. We actually have a couple of days with no scheduled shows... nice!

Sorry for the novel! To answer your question, with a little planning, you should have no problems with My Time overlapping because you decide when to eat and which show to go to. Each of the shows, except for the musical, will tend to have multiple shows on any given day (usually 2 or 3 times). The musical tends to have one show each of the first 3 days of the cruise (at least on Allure)... an early evening on one day, later evening show the next and afternoon show on the last day.

Also, take a peek at a Cruise Compass from a prior Harmony sailing to get a feel for the entertainment schedule before it opens up in your Cruise Planner...

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/cruise-compass?ship=1071

Great info !