The Key

Still showing for $19.99 in my cruise planner (Navigator-April 2019). Probably varies per ship (size and use of perks) and off of demand I'd imagine. Must be selling well on that sailing and I'd bet it was a ship that the perks of show seating, select times for Flowrider/rock wall/etc will be more in demand than on ships that don't require reservations.

Either way, still completely happy with the perks for my 5 day sail! $100 for the Key was the cost of Voom and Chops lunch on its own and then some. Everything else was just icing on top.

Key.PNG

@SpeedNoodles I believe the original price they rolled out at was $24.99.  Mine is showing the 20% off banner sale which has it dropped to the $19.99 price point.  Looks like they have raised it on all sailings 3+ months out from other responses, although mine in 54 days is still showing the 19.99 price for now. I'll keep an eye on it.

@princevaliantus There are quite a few more perks than simply getting on 5 mins early for those of us that found it to be a good deal for our situation.  But, you already know this.
This will be my first cruise in over 12 years when I went as a young teen with my parents. So I don't have any lovely diamond plus perks.  It will also be my first vacation out of state, let alone the country, in 10 years so I want to make the most of it. For example:

5 day cruse-$100 total for Key

Voom that is included would have run me $90 at current price, Chops embarkation day lunch is $22.  At that point, I've already saved $12. Plus all the other perks, yes including getting on 5 mins earlier. It's my vacation, I'm going to get every minute I can.

I wouldn't say $100 for all that makes me a sucker or unaware. Seeing how I'm saving money for things I would have wanted anyway, I daresay it's a fiscally responsible decision to purchase and should really enhance my experience. It isn't that way for everyone but that's the great thing about it...you don't want it, don't buy it.

23 minutes ago, Kyle_cardinalsfan51 said:

@SpeedNoodles I believe the original price they rolled out at was $24.99.  Mine is showing the 20% off banner sale which has it dropped to the $19.99 price point.  Looks like they have raised it on all sailings 3+ months out from other responses, although mine in 54 days is still showing the 19.99 price for now. I'll keep an eye on it.

Oh yeah, you're right. Math: It's not for everyone (i.e. me).  It's listing for $31.99 for my Symphony sailing over a year away, too.  I think if it drops back to $19.99 I'll grab it and then decide later if I really want it!

@SpeedNoodles haha all good. I just remember when it first rolled out and quick % math check confirmed it started at $25.  For $20/day on anything under 7 days, in my opinion if you are getting Voom anyway, it's a no brainer. At a higher price point of $32, I would definitely have to take a second look and compare prices of what is included vs a la carte purchasing and value of those perks that don't have an actual $ value. All about what you want and cost comparison.

Hope it works out for you with another sale and that you enjoyed your Mariner trip!

2 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

YIKES !  I think that's an awful big jump in price.  I guess the program has been a success

We'll have to see how this works out for RC. This is the first time, that I can remember, this program. If it gets crap reviews from the "Key Alumni" it may get adiosed. However, if it is successful, there will more than likely be a price increase with even more benefits....like reserved seating in the WJ 24/7, a meet and greet with the Captain and a free coke, cast member visits to your cabin at various times of the day, a special commemorative key chain or yellow highlighter, etc. I can assure you after our Bermuda trip this July, I will give you all our unbiased, straight forward opinion of our Key experiences which I will also share with the RC folks in Miami. :27_sunglasses:

Likely a sign of supply and demand at work.  If the initial response was favorable and they immediately sold out slots, the natural reaction would be to increase price.   

Sales trends will provide feedback if $32 is too much for the market to bear.  If so, sales and price reductions will be forthcoming.   

I know it's sold out for Navigator coming up.  

We booked The Key for 2 cruises this year.  We paid the sale price of $19.99 pp/pd for each cruise.  (We always get VOOM anyway.)  Both are now in the cruise planner at $31.99 pp/pd. 

The first one is next month on Ovation for a 9-night, but I ended up cancelling The Key.  Last week, we upgraded from a junior suite to a grand suite.  The price was shockingly good, especially when we considered that we could cancel The Key because of the grand suite perks. 

The other cruise where I booked The Key is this October on a 9-night Anthem.  I debated booking it so early, but now I am really glad I did!  We are only in a balcony cabin on that one, because the junior suite prices were/are ridiculous.  I keep checking those prices.  Looking forward to having The Key on that trip.  ?

6 minutes ago, Dawn T. said:

We are only in a balcony cabin on that one, because the junior suite prices were/are ridiculous.  I keep checking those prices.

I hear your pain on that one, but it's in no small part a matter of supply and demand. Anthem has so many balcony cabins (1447 according to Cruise Deck Plans!) that they can offer them for a pretty low cost vs. the JS cabins, of which there are only 86 -- 16 J1; 28 J3; and 42 J4.

Do keep checking, as they tend not to sell out quickly and the pricing can take a decent dip if you're vigilant. That's how I got our J4 cabin last October when we went to Bermuda; I'm hoping to do the same again this year, but not looking hopeful.

Just now, Matt said:

Bingo. Clearly, it resonated with guests.

Agreed - honestly, it's not surprising. The day before the price increase I was reeeeally considering just getting it since this seems to be the trend with programs that go over well. Just a case of waiting too long! That said, I'd be really surprised if there aren't sales incoming so I'll just be watching for those. 

17 hours ago, SpeedNoodles said:

It's up to $32 for my June Ovation cruise as well. Up until now it always had the sale banner on it, so I guess this is normal price? Probably only worth it on a 2-3 night sailing at that price.  I know that Ovation has very few rooms left on my sailing. 

Same for my August Ovation cruise. It's too much for something that isn't described correctly on the Cruise Planner. It states things like " Reserved VIP seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B"

Ovation doesn't have AquaTheater or Studio B!... It says nothing about North Star, SeaPlex or IFLY