Post-Cruise "motion sickness"

SpeedNoodles

I couldn't figure out where to put this, since it's not limited to Royal Caribbean - 4 days post my 4-night Mariner cruise I'm still swaying.  I nearly fell down in the shower tonight.  I've had this before after every cruise, I honestly didn't think I'd get it at all this time since I never once felt any motion of the vessel - we had incredibly calm seas the entire trip.  I can't remember how long this lasts  - online it says it can last up to 2 weeks.  How do people deal with this who cruise once or more a month? Do you ever feel normal, or does it just not affect you?

I never I experienced this in until this past December after our Oasis cruise. We had very rough seas the second to the last night, so I thought maybe that caused it. I mostly felt it when I laid down or closed my eyes. It didn’t matter if I was sitting or even standing. It took a good 4-5 days before it went away, it was so annoying. Hope the feeling goes away for you soon.

5 minutes ago, WAAAYTOOO said:

Actually, I HAVE found that the more I cruise the less often I get the land waves.  I also mostly feel it (rare, anymore) when I lay down and close my eyes.

Now THIS is what I wanted to read! And my husband just said an hour ago that I should look for another cruise to put on the books, so I'm pumped!!!!

Fortunately, I've found dramamine, bonine, etc work for post-cruise motion sickness just like they do for mid-cruise motion sickness.  I usually only need them the first day of the cruise and the first day after.  Hell, I've popped a pill on land after a couple hours on a tiny fishing boat too.  I've never been able to predict when I'll feel off but at least there's a "cure".

I found that if I take Bonine for a couple of days, after the cruise, I don't feel anything, and it goes away after a couple of days. My first cruise I was cursing cruising and saying I will never do that again, but alas, that wasn't true and I have learned ways to make it lessen or go away quickly.  And, am always ready to BRING ON THE CRUISE EUPHORIA AGAIN! (in small caps to show that I am sheepishly awaiting for my next adventure) I have 385 days to my next cruise  :2_grimacing:

I have also had it most times after a cruise for a day or two. I went on the Liberty of the Seas on Jan 13 and the last two days were very rough due to a cold front we were sailing through to get back to Galveston. So this time the post cruise vertigo lasted about 4 days which is kinda long for me. 

Ive heard from doctors and blogs that Bonine and Dramamine don’t do much post cruise, just gotta ride it out. 

3 hours ago, Oliver said:

Ive heard from doctors and blogs that Bonine and Dramamine don’t do much post cruise, just gotta ride it out. 

This is what I've read, too. I did try Sea Bands and Bonine, with no relief. It's so weird that it happens to people who don't get bothered while actually on the ship. Even when we hit the tail end of a hurricane in Nova Scotia in the fall of 2004, and the swells were 30 feet high, on a Radiance class ship in I never felt the least bit upended! No fair!

Just now, Jody Lewis said:

@SpeedNoodles another reason to get the Relief Band I mentioned in another post. Just move it off your Amazon wishlist into your cart. It helps after the cruise as well.

I didn’t have a single issue crossing the Gulf Stream last week. A bunch of people didn’t feel so great. 

We're definitely going to get a pair. The husband gets queasy on the boat (I never do) and we both feel it after (which I expect, but still).  Thanks!  He's told me that he wants to cruise about once every 3-4 months now, so we'll just need the right stuff!