Formal night attire

BethW67

My 17 year old has neurological disabilities, and part of that is sensory issues.  He does not wear long pants unless we force him to for something.  Can he get away with khaki shorts on formal night for dinner, or do we need to start preparing him that he needs to wear long pants (and go buy him some, lol)?

Welcome to the message boards.

What ship and where are you sailing?  I'd suggest you visit the dining room once on board but before dinner and talk to them about the situation. 

If your son is wearing nice shorts and a nice shirt they may be accommodating.  Grubby shorts and a muscle or t-shirt will more likely lead to an issue.    

I've seen all types of dress on formal nights.  I've seen ripped shorts and a tacky t-shirts with one couple and others dressed in tuxes for formal nights.  For the most part, men will be in long pants.  I say that so you know what to expect.  However, you do what is right for you.  If you will have a more comfortable cruise with him in nice shorts and a nice shirt then thats fine.  Some people may give you the stink eye but who cares.  I highly doubt the waitstaff will turn you away.  That would be the worst case scenario and if that 1% chance happens and you are turned away just be prepared to eat in the Windjammer.  Not really a big deal.  This is just my opinion and think you should do what is right for your family and dress him as dressy as you can get whether that means pants or shorts. 

I've worn shorts, flip flops and a t-shirt to formal night several times.  Formal night or not, I've only been turned away once, I'm pretty sure because of the board shorts I had on at the time.  As long as they don't look anything like swimwear, you'll be fine.

Twangster is right, though, couldn't hurt to pay a visit to the dining room once aboard.

I agree with just alerting the MDR about your son's restrictions to wearing long pants and I'm sure they'll be more than accomodating for him.

Not to mention, if businessmen in Bermuda can wear those handsome Bermuda shorts, then I'm sure your son can rock the formal shorts look as well!