Documents for in Port?

PhantomWolf

Hey everyone, first time poster! The last time I cruised I was a child, so I really had no idea what was going on as far as traveling, just showed up and had a good time.  Sadly that was 20 years ago.  I understand what I need for documentation for first getting onto the ship.  My question is what all do I need to take on my person when I leave the ship at the ports of call?  (Navigator in September: Perfect Day and Nassau)  Just looking to not weigh myself down with unnecessary items.  Thanks!

• PhantomWolf changed the title to Documents for in Port?
7 minutes ago, mom2mybugs said:

People tend to be in "team carry passport" or not.  You should have at least a copy of your passport as well as your sea pass card and a photo id.  Jane

Thanks Jane! I'd rather not carry my passport around off of the ship if I can help it.  Don't want to have to worry about it getting wet, lost, or stolen.  

Just now, PhantomWolf said:

Thanks Jane! I'd rather not carry my passport around off of the ship if I can help it.  Don't want to have to worry about it getting wet, lost, or stolen.  

If you don't get back to the ship, though, you won't be able to travel with the copy.  You would need to get a new one issued and that can be challenging, which is why people like to carry the original.  My first couple trips I didn't carry it.  Lately I've been carrying it.  Anyway, I'm sure others will chime in!  Have a great trip! Jane

I'm personally in team "passport on ship, other ID in port".  There are ways to contact RCCL's port agent and have them leave your passport with the port authority if something happens and you are going to miss the ship.  It might seem to go against my firm "don't cruise without a passport" stance, but given the possibility of being mugged at any location (also a low chance, all things considered) I would rather not be carrying my passport around.

There should be little to no reason to carry it on Coco Cay, it is RCCL's private island.  On Nassau, it's just personal opinion.  The truth is that thousands of people visit that island every day and many don't even have a passport and get back on the ship in time with no issues whatsoever.  The odds of missing the ship, if you are being proactive and staying aware of the time, are low.  The odds of missing the ship and having no way of contacting the port agent in this day of cell phones is almost zero.  I personally consider the odds of taking the passport on land and having it stolen/damaged/lost to be considerably higher.

So anyway, whatever you do with it I hope you have a good cruise.  Welcome to the forum!

When it comes to passports I'm #TeamSafe. 

If you miss the ship, for whatever reason, security goes into your safe and removes your passport.  They then give it to the port agent on the pier.  Security always has access to your safe.  If get locked out (like the time I forgot my passcode) security can open the safe.  

A water damaged passport becomes invalid because they can't verify it isn't an forgery attempt.  Fall off a tour boat, get soaked in a rain storm, etc, a water damaged passport is useless.  Stolen on a beach, mugged or it simply falls out of your pocket on a bus by mistake all can happen.  That is a much worst case scenario for me compared to having to track down the port agent, IF I miss the ship.

You will need some sort of government issued ID for any guest who isn't a minor.  This varies by port but Nassau has been known to insist on it.  Driver's license works great.  My TWIC card works great too.  This is the port people requiring this, not ship security.  The port employees are not Royal employees, they work for the local port.

Perfect Day (CocoCay) is Royal's private island and you only need the SeaPass card.  Bring some cash if you want to shop in the local market on the island.  No other documents are required at CocoCay.  

5 minutes ago, NS8VN said:

I'm personally in team "passport on ship, other ID in port".  There are ways to contact RCCL's port agent and have them leave your passport with the port authority if something happens and you are going to miss the ship.  It might seem to go against my firm "don't cruise without a passport" stance, but given the possibility of being mugged at any location (also a low chance, all things considered) I would rather not be carrying my passport around.

There should be little to no reason to carry it on Coco Cay, it is RCCL's private island.  On Nassau, it's just personal opinion.  The truth is that thousands of people visit that island every day and many don't even have a passport and get back on the ship in time with no issues whatsoever.  The odds of missing the ship, if you are being proactive and staying aware of the time, are low.  The odds of missing the ship and having no way of contacting the port agent in this day of cell phones is almost zero.  I personally consider the odds of taking the passport on land and having it stolen/damaged/lost to be considerably higher.

So anyway, whatever you do with it I hope you have a good cruise.  Welcome to the forum!

Thanks! The chances of me missing the ship will be slim to none, I'm the guy that's annoyingly early to everything.  I'm excited for sure, kinda wish I hadn't booked it so far in advance because I am ready to go now!  YouTube and this blog will helped get me prepped but its still to far out. I do hope that this is the start of a new tradition for me.

14 minutes ago, twangster said:

You will need some sort of government issued ID for any guest who isn't a minor.  This varies by port but Nassau has been known to insist on it.  Driver's license works great.  My TWIC card works great too.  This is the port people requiring this, not ship security.  The port employees are not Royal employees, they work for the local port.

Thanks Twang!  I'm new here and still need to get caught up on the abbreviations for everything. What's TWIC?

22 minutes ago, PhantomWolf said:

Thanks Twang!  I'm new here and still need to get caught up on the abbreviations for everything. What's TWIC?

Heh.  Yeah it's not a cruise term.  Transportation Worker Identification Card.  It's an enhanced TSA clearance that comes with a federally issued ID card.  At a US port I can walk onto a pier without a SeaPass card (in theory).    Since I have one I can leave my driver's license in the safe.  That way if my stuff gets lost or stolen I know I can drive home after the cruise (legally) since my driver's license is waiting for me in the safe on the ship.   

A bad guy with my TWIC card in hand can't very easily steal my identity.  A bad guy with my passport or driver's license is another story.

Just now, PhantomWolf said:

Thanks! The chances of me missing the ship will be slim to none, I'm the guy that's annoyingly early to everything.  I'm excited for sure, kinda wish I hadn't booked it so far in advance because I am ready to go now!  YouTube and this blog will helped get me prepped but its still to far out. I do hope that this is the start of a new tradition for me.

Booking a cruise so far in advance is a good idea because if there is any sales for your ship and sale date and the price is cheaper then when you booked you can then call RC directly or call your TA and ask for the cheaper price and the new price will be a better deal from when you booked your cruise. You can also book shore excursions, drink packages, dining, internet, and spa packages before you even get onboard and at a cheaper price vs the onboard pricing for each of the packages. As the sale date gets closer the price of the cruise will increase  but there will also be sales on the cruise itself and there will also be sales on the cruise planner. 

8 minutes ago, Jess said:

Booking a cruise so far in advance is a good idea because if there is any sales for your ship and sale date and the price is cheaper then when you booked you can then call RC directly or call your TA and ask for the cheaper price and the new price will be a better deal from when you booked your cruise. You can also book shore excursions, drink packages, dining, internet, and spa packages before you even get onboard and at a cheaper price vs the onboard pricing for each of the packages. As the sale date gets closer the price of the cruise will increase  but there will also be sales on the cruise itself and there will also be sales on the cruise planner. 

Solo traveler here, so when I found out Royal was doing the 60% off on the "second person", I had to jump at it. My vacations have been few and far between, so I'm really itching to go!  I like the idea of possibly finding deals and cheaper rates ?  My idea was to just book it and save up for the trip without much worry.  Bought the drink package and an excursion already, love that I'm able to spread out the cost of the trip this way instead of getting the sticker shock at the very end. 

I always bring my passport off the ship.  Why put anything to chance with relying on others to deliver a passport to you? Not to mention if you get stuck in a hospital or wherever, the last thing I want to do is have to leave to go fetch the passports. To me, it's best to keep it with me in the same way I keep my wallet, phone and other valuables with my in my everyday life that could easily be ruined/lost if I got into an accident or whatever. There are no risk-free options, but carrying your passport is not inherently any riskier than taking cash, credit cards, phones, children on an excursion. 

15 minutes ago, Matt said:

There are no risk-free options, but carrying your passport is not inherently any riskier than taking cash, credit cards, phones, children on an excursion. 

In the Mediterranean after some research I decided to take the passports with me in every port. In the Caribbean I usually just take my photo ID and leave the passport in the safe.

Funny story on our last cruise in January, I always read the Cruise Compass the night before a port stop to make sure nothing has changed since the last time we visited. In January we were visiting San Juan and it said photo ID required, no big deal I always carry my wallet in case I need cash or a credit card. Well we walked off the ship (Put not the Pier) and I had forgotten and left my wallet in the safe, so I told my wife, we are planning on eating lunch in San Juan so we needed to go back and either get cash or a CC. Good thing I did, because when we were trying to get back on the pier we had to show our photo ID. When we got to the ship all they cared about was our Sea Pass card

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

Funny story on our last cruise in January, I always read the Cruise Compass the night before a port stop to make sure nothing has changed since the last time we visited. In January we were visiting San Juan and it said photo ID required, no big deal I always carry my wallet in case I need cash or a credit card. Well we walked off the ship (Put not the Pier) and I had forgotten and left my wallet in the safe, so I told my wife, we are planning on eating lunch in San Juan so we needed to go back and either get cash or a CC. Good thing I did, because when we were trying to get back on the pier we had to show our photo ID. When we got to the ship all they cared about was our Sea Pass card

Yep same here... they carded us in San Juan but not in St Maarten.

14 hours ago, NS8VN said:

I carry my passport, CC and cash with me off the ship just in case of any emergency comes up. 

There is zero possibility of me being mugged at any of these ports as I am and will never be a victim. If you don't look like easy prey they will leave you alone. With me its easy just by the way I look and carry myself.  

6 minutes ago, Hoski said:

The only place we know of that you need to take your passport off the ship is in Cuba and it is a must there.

You also need it if you are in Alaska and an excursion takes you across the border into Canada (one of our excursions out of Skagway went about a mile into Canada and we had to bring it).

On 2/10/2019 at 9:07 PM, twangster said:

A water damaged passport becomes invalid because they can't verify it isn't an forgery attempt.  Fall off a tour boat, get soaked in a rain storm, etc, a water damaged passport is useless.  Stolen on a beach, mugged or it simply falls out of your pocket on a bus by mistake all can happen.  That is a much worst case scenario for me compared to having to track down the port agent, IF I miss the ship.

I had no idea that a passport became invalid if water damaged... I'm waffling back to team carry a copy!  Jane

I'm on team passport on ship, ID in port.  

I have a passport and a passport card, so I keep the book on the ship and the card in my wallet for port.    I know a lot of people subscribe to keeping a copy of the passport for going into port, but that doesnt serve as an ID, it only serves as a way of keeping your passport number on you in case the passport is lost or stolen or damaged.  But the passport wont get lost or stolen or damaged if its in your safe on the ship so.... yah.  

For the places you're going an ID should be more than enough, and keep the passport number with you just in case for the worst.  That's why I love the passport card in addition to the passport.  Its a little more expensive but it works for me.

20 hours ago, Mondas42 said:

Similar question for any Brits who are on a Caribbean cruise, do you take your passports of ship with you? As we don’t have photo I.d. Do you use your driving licence if asked for id for times you don’t have your passport?

I am not from the US and I am using my driving license as identification in ports that require it. All they ask is some kind of government issue id , they are not saying which government ?   Anyway , if they accepting my driving license I am sure they will accept your UK DL as long as it has picture on it.  

On 2/12/2019 at 1:41 PM, SpeedNoodles said:

I'm thinking it does little good if RCCL staff can get into your safe to retrieve your passport, but the ship has already pulled away from the dock. But these are just things I muse about in the middle of the night when it's dead at work.

Maybe they roll your passport very tight, entering into a bottle and hope it will reach you after some time ?

I guess , they have some kind of procedures before pooling off , checking which customers did not board , fetch there passports and leave it with RCL agents in ports or with the port authorities. what is strange to me is that RC allowed to go to you safe without a permission , so maybe  the procedure is only for people that are calling before to say they are not going to make it .