How bad/rough is the Playa del Carmen ferry at Cozumel?

Matt

It's been a few years ago but we took the ferry from Cozumel over to Playa del Carmen and I don't remember it being particularly rough. I will say though, that neither my husband nor I have any problem with seasickness so it might have been rough and we just don't remember it.

I absolutely love Playa del Carmen. I think it's adorable. I have never spent any real time there but I just like the looks of it.

Done it twice.

I was fine both times but the first time in particular they were handing out sea sickness bags like candy. The second time a couple of people looked green but most people were fine.

If you are prone to seasickness I would say don't do it, if you are generally ok you are probably fine.

FYI - I think both trips were March/April timeframe but I might be wrong on the first one it could have been Thanksgiving.

Seemingly we've been on that boat a half dozen times over the years. We never experienced terribly rough seas; or any worse than any snorkeling excursion I've ever been on and I've been on nearly all of them offered by RCL. <Hey! there's a blogcast idea, What Is Supposed To Happen On A Snorkeling Excursion!>

I've read those rough water horror stories too, I'm skeptical. To me the worst part is the 40 minutes it takes to go each way.

I think we are going to stay away. Seems likes it's just too risky.

We have only done it once, with no problem. It isn't your basic tug boat, but a large moden well equipped passenger ferry. As i recall the ride is only about twice as long as the Belize tender and much smoother ride than any tender we have been on, especially the ship life boats. If you don't have problems on tenders I would think you are ok! As i recall, larger than the ferries at Bermuda! Hope you experience Playa del Carmen & I'd recommend Tulum excursion!

I would add to my earlier comments Mattt that we very much enjoyed both excursions, but would definitely recommend booking through RCI if you are headed to the mainland.

On both excursions we were cutting it close getting back, in particular on the second one we were boarding the ferry on the mainland at the same time as the all aboard was being sounded on the ship ... luckily we had about 300 passengers on our "dedicated" ferry so we weren't worried.

I did just notice there is an excursion to Chichen Itza available and that would be a dream of mine to see, but what Ive read online makes it seem like you spend way more time getting to/from it than actually exploring it.  

My wife suggested we save it for a land vacation to Playa del Carmen.

This is how I felt about Tulum when we did it as well as the ruins that are accessible from Costa Maya. However, in both cases it was worth it and I'd do CI in a minute if I had the opportunity.

CI is 6 hours but you only have about 1 to 1.5 hours of actual time at CI. And its $115 per person.

Matt, there is an excursion called Isle de Twister.. You take a speedboat ride that really is a lot of fun and it takes you to this beach called Passion Island. I have done it twice. It comes with full lunch, beach chairs, beach beds, restrooms and it really is a nice place.

Do you know how to book this without booking through the cruise line? I found one website on it but when I asked them how to do it they said you have to book through the cruise line. It even said on the website you could book online as long as you are not on carnival. Also how much did this cost?