Dress code confusion!

JeffCruiser

We are first-time cruisers and we are totally confused about the acceptable non-formal attire in the main dining room.

For breakfast and lunch, can we wear shorts and t-shirts in the main dining room? Can men wear dry swimsuits?

Then for dinner, must we then wear “smart casual” attire, which appears to be no shorts and t-shirts, but rather pants and collared shirts for men and pants/dresses for women.

Thank you in advance for your help.

This is a long standing debate on here for years.   I have seen everything from T shirt, shorts and flip flops to tuxedos in the MDR on formal night.  Other than swim suits I dont thing they will turn you down so on non-formal nights wear what you feel comfortable in and dont worry about what other people think.  Remember you on vacation.  Relax and have a good time.

I have worn shorts in the MDR at dinner, definitely not on formal night, but on a normal night, I did not wear a t-shirt with them but wore a collared shirt and have not had any issues.  After the few cruises that I have been on, I have come to the reality that as long as it is clean, and is something that MOST would wear out to dinner or on a date then it will be accepted in the MDR.  Unless it is the first night I stay away from a t-shirt and shorts, and go in looking presentable and have not had a problem yet! 

@JeffCruiser - welcome to the message boards!

Shorter cruises and Caribbean cruises tend to be less strict on dress recommendations.  Some European cruises can run a little more strict.

The key is that Royal has "recommendations" and not a absolute dress code. 

Bathing suits / swimwear are more likely to get called out in the MDR.  Regular shorts and any shirt is generally okay for breakfast and lunch on the MDR.    Casual dinner in the MDR with long pants and a shirt with a collar (polo or button shirt) is average.  Cut off jeans and a t-shirt may work on one ship but catch the eye of the restaurant staff on another ship or different night on the same ship.

I have hiking pants with lower leg sections that zipper off.  At night I zip on the lower leg sections and I have full length pants, by day they are shorts.  They work fine on casual nights.

I'd avoid swimwear, dry or not, or anything that looks like it.  Khakis, cargos, denims, anything like that is fine.  Aside from the obligatory one pair of jeans for the possible trip to Chops or Izumi, shorts, t-shirts and flip flops are all I pack.  Only been turned away once, because of the board shorts I had on at the time.

• 5 months later...
1 hour ago, Marie5230 said:

So, they won't throw us out of the CK or any of the specialty restaurants if my husband wears dress shorts with a golf shirt on Smart Casual nights?

No. The only time I actually witnessed someone being asked to leave CK was when they arrived for lunch wet from the pool and with no shirt on. ?

4 hours ago, Marie5230 said:

So, they won't throw us out of the CK or any of the specialty restaurants if my husband wears dress shorts with a golf shirt on Smart Casual nights?

That's the way I've dressed for CK,  MDR and specialty restaurants. Never had a problem. And you'll look as good if not better than others in jeans and t-shirt.