Millennium Revolutionized

twangster

I've been following the revitalization on "that other place". A fair number of Instagram accounts have posted pictures as well, and they've been shared on the thread over there. Looks really nice, especially the room decor changes.

I'm not normally a fan of a dominantly off-white palette, but they definitely made it work here. And it looks much better to me than the concept art pictures, especially if you compare the concept art shots of the MDR vs the actual photos that have been posted; not sure what's so "off" for me about those concept pieces, since the color palette isn't significantly different, but I never cared for them.

2 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

HI Joe, have you seen any pictures of the Celebrity Suite on Millie? Will probably look the same on Summit.

Nothing that I recall, but I can keep you posted if anything shows up. Seems people on the "other site" are most anxious / up in arms over the changes to the penthouse suite and royal suite rooms (we should all be so lucky to have that be a dominating concern in our lives ?).

34 minutes ago, JLMoran said:

up in arms over the changes to the penthouse suite and royal suite rooms (we should all be so lucky to have that be a dominating concern in our lives ?).

Are you serious!!!!  What could possible be wrong anyway?? No offense, but the Summit and I assume Millie, was running a bit ragged, you would think they would welcome the freshness!

Yes, Joe, you and I should really have these issues huh??

12 minutes ago, Boston Babe said:

Are you serious!!!!  What could possible be wrong anyway?? No offense, but the Summit and I assume Millie, was running a bit ragged, you would think they would welcome the freshness!

I should clarify it's a very small minority of commenters expressing those... grave concerns. Vast majority are welcoming of the changes and find them to be very nice. Honestly, I find the Celebrity Cruises board there to be quite civil; I was surprised, given what I've heard about that "other place".

There are likely very few people who have booked the Penthouse Suites.  

I was lucky enough to stay in the adjoining Sky Suite on Millie which is decorated the same as the Penthouse Suite since it's meant to be overflow and an additional bedroom for the Penthouse when required.  

Mid May there is a decent price on Millie to Alaska.  Have to look hard at that.

Any word if they are creating a suite only area on the M class?

Just now, twangster said:

Any word if they are creating a suite only area on the M class?

Yes. The relatively unused sun deck space on 12 forward is being converted to suites-only space. That's all I remember for existing spaces being converted to suite-only from general access, although I think there might be one more that I'm forgetting. I do know for certain that the rooftop retreat remains open to everyone.

Just now, JLMoran said:

Yes. The relatively unused sun deck space on 12 forward is being converted to suites-only space. That's all I remember for existing spaces being converted to suite-only from general access, although I think there might be one more that I'm forgetting. I do know for certain that the rooftop retreat remains open to everyone.

That area was very popular in Alaska.  Should be interesting to see how that goes over.  it's similar to the forward deck space on Vision class.  It's the only forward outdoor viewing area.  

The other rather big change is that a cluster of 16 Aqua Class cabins were added on the starboard side area of deck 10, where the spa is located. This caused the large men's changing area to be moved to port, taking half of the space originally used for the women's changing room. This is leading most to conclude that the steam room / sauna located in each changing room is likely now gone.

And down on decks 7 and 8, the spaces for the Library and Acupuncture area have been converted to inside cabins.

• 3 weeks later...

They are offering an inside cabin on Millennium for Alaska Northbound for $1970 total (rates + taxes/fees) for 4 people.  OV is @2770.  The Radiance price for the same dates (but Southbound) is $2831 and $3031 OV.

Any thoughts on Radiance vs Millennium for an Alaska cruise?

10 minutes ago, RaleighTrout said:

They are offering an inside cabin on Millennium for Alaska Northbound for $1970 total (rates + taxes/fees) for 4 people.  OV is @2770.  The Radiance price for the same dates (but Southbound) is $2831 and $3031 OV.

Any thoughts on Radiance vs Millennium for an Alaska cruise?

I've sailed both, but Southbound on both.  Same itinerary.  For myself I'd do Millie every time.  Mille is freshly revolutionized plus Celebrity is just nicer.  The fact that it's cheaper would seal the deal for me.  

Four in an interior cabin is tight.  Consider proximity to public restrooms if you have a wide choice in cabin location.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

I've sailed both, but Southbound on both.  Same itinerary.  For myself I'd do Millie every time.  Mille is freshly revolutionized plus Celebrity is just nicer.  The fact that it's cheaper would seal the deal for me.  

Four in an interior cabin is tight.  Consider proximity to public restrooms if you have a wide choice in cabin location.  

Thanks.  Agree, tight, but we did 4 in a tiny Majesty room (120 sq ft), so our family can do it.   We didn't spend much time in the room (sleep/shower/restroom) and imagine on an Alaska cruise we would spend even less time.  

You have been very helpful with advice to me on Alaska - thank you!

One thing to consider with Inside vs OV on Millennium is if you want any included perks. At the OV level, you will often times get a promo that gives two perks for the first two passengers in an OV or Verandah cabin (select from classic drink package, one-device internet, pre-paid gratuities, or OBC), where the Inside cabin gets nothing. Inside, OV, and Verandah on Millennium class ships are all the same size as far as the cabin space (170 sq ft), so if you found value in the perks then you may want to consider the OV option.

^ Thanks for letting me know this.  I priced the OV with the perks and it is $3407 vs $2769 without.  It says you get a Classic Drink for 2, which  I would value at $600-700 on a 7 day cruise, plus $300 OBC - so the perks value would be $900-1000 for the additional $638 of cruise fare.  

4 hours ago, twangster said:

I've sailed both, but Southbound on both.  Same itinerary.   

Any real difference between going North vs going South?  One main is that the train you took runs at night 6pm to 10pm from Seward to Anchorage, whereas from Anchorage to Seward it runs in the morning.  Not sure what kind of view you get from 6-10pm because I know it stays daylight in Alaska for many hours.  

4 minutes ago, RaleighTrout said:

Any real difference between going North vs going South?  One main is that the train you took runs at night 6pm to 10pm from Seward to Anchorage, whereas from Anchorage to Seward it runs in the morning.  Not sure what kind of view you get from 6-10pm because I know it stays daylight in Alaska for many hours.  

I haven't looked but I assume the times in port are similar on both.  What time of year?  The long days mean there will be a lot to see in late May or June, late August would be another story.

9 minutes ago, twangster said:

I haven't looked but I assume the times in port are similar on both.  What time of year?  The long days mean there will be a lot to see in late May or June, late August would be another story.

August.  I looked it up.  On August 9th, when we would leave the ship and board the train, the sun sets at 10:14pm and twilight ends at 11:12pm.  The train ride is from 6pm to 10pm.    https://sunrise-sunset.org/us/anchorage-ak/2019/8

5 hours ago, RaleighTrout said:

I priced the OV with the perks and it is $3407 vs $2769 without.  It says you get a Classic Drink for 2, which  I would value at $600-700 on a 7 day cruise, plus $300 OBC - so the perks value would be $900-1000 for the additional $638 of cruise fare.  

Classic Drink package is normally priced at $59 per person per night, so for two passengers you're actually looking at $826 for the 7 nights, plus 18% gratuity. An even better deal! ?

The Classic package on X is not the same as the Deluxe package on Royal. The Classic package limits which beers and wines you can get, and any mixed drinks are generally going to be from the well (you can't ask for it to be made with a premium brand without incurring some kind of overage charge).

X has a higher tier package called the "Select Drink Package", which you can upgrade to after getting the perks for the room. That gives you full selection of everything on the ship, plus a higher per-drink maximum charge ($15 instead of I think $11 with the Classic pkg).