Experience with CONSUMER CELLULAR as Int'l Plan?

jpmackay

We used to have Verizon as our cell provider, but have switched to Consumer Cellular.  I'm wondering if anyone has had experience (good or bad) using Consumer Cellular's international coverage while on a southern Caribbean cruise?  I was told that I'll need to switch my sim card-- currently AT & T (...they have a partnership with Consumer Cellular) to T-Mobile (also, a partner).  We will be sailing on RC Freedom of the Seas.

Thank you for any input you might provide.

My advice is for simplicity sake, forget the sim card ideas and simply activate WiFi calling before your cruise and then once onboard put the plane into airplane mode, then enable WiFi and use WiFi calling on any island you visit where WiFi is available.

Here's the info on how to use WiFi calling with Consumer Cellular: https://www.consumercellular.com/blog/asked-answered-using-wi-fi-save-money/

I've tried the "swap out sim card" plan and it's a huge pain in the butt and not worth the effort (or cost).

1 hour ago, Matt said:

My advice is for simplicity sake, forget the sim card ideas and simply activate WiFi calling before your cruise and then once onboard put the plane into airplane mode, then enable WiFi and use WiFi calling on any island you visit where WiFi is available.

@jpmackay -great question and although @Matt is correct about wifi calling you may not be able to avoid the sim card/service change. We also use Consumer Cellular and have service through the AT&T network. According to Consumer Cellular, wifi calling was ONLY available through T-Mobile. Even though the phone itself had the wifi calling function, it was disabled. I guess it has something to do with the contract between AT&T and Consumer Cellular. So I kept my service as is, but we switched my wife's phone. Haven't sailed yet, but will be testing out next cruise. FYI, her service otherwise has had no noticeable difference.