Tampa Departure Port

We're a month out from our cruise, and now I'm a little worried about getting from the airport to the cruise. We're arriving the day of for the first time ever. (I know, we should get there before, but we haven't been able to make it work. But we do have trip insurance.) 

We are scheduled to arrive at TPA at 11:15 am. We are planning on taking a Lyft or Uber from the airport to the port. 

Is there anything we should be aware of in Tampa that might slow us down? Is there a better (cheaper or faster) way for a family of five to get there?

1 minute ago, cookie10* said:

No you got it and you will have lots of time to get there.

Thanks for the reassurance.  I'm usually one who arrives well before boarding, so not even being in Tampa until 11:15 makes me a bit nervous. 

We had originally booked the four-night cruise out of Port Canaveral which would have given us the ability to fly in earlier, but we couldn't resist the seven-night cruise. We're still trying to make it work where we can get to Tampa the night before, but right now it's not an option.

Two weeks ago I landed at 11:30am, waited for checked baggage and took Lyft to the Tampa port.

According to my emailed receipt, the Lyft started at 12:40pm (after waiting 8 minutes for car to make it to the terminal) and it ended at 1:04pm. 

10.10 miles and 24m 11s.  My fare was $21.18 including a tip.  

No lines in the terminal, straight onto the ship with cabins already available.  Plenty of time.   

If your flight lands on time, take your time, no hurry.

Lyft TPA to Port.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

Aside from Lyft or Uber ..... Does anyone know how much a cab ride would be from the Port to the Airport?  My knowledge of ride-sharing is non-existent so a cab is much more in my comfort zone....... and, this may be a stupid question .....Do cabs these days take plastic, or is it strictly cash?  It's been probably 20 years since I had to take a cab any where.  Thanks. 

15 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

Aside from Lyft or Uber ..... Does anyone know how much a cab ride would be from the Port to the Airport?  My knowledge of ride-sharing is non-existent so a cab is much more in my comfort zone....... and, this may be a stupid question .....Do cabs these days take plastic, or is it strictly cash?  It's been probably 20 years since I had to take a cab any where.  Thanks. 

The only benefit I see to a cab is walking out of baggage claim and getting in the taxi line -- it may be worth the extra $4-5 just to be on your way instead of waiting for a Lyft Uber to make the distance from the Tampa waiting lot...I found this in Cruise Port Advisor:

Tampa Taxis -- https://cruiseportadvisor.com/port/tampa/transportation/

– from TPA to the Port of Tampa or downtown Tampa is a flat rate of $25.
Yellow Cab
United Cab