PrePlanning for onboard expenses

ThyriC

I'm one of those crazy people who like no surprises.  Like at all.  Ever.  Yes yes I know I need to be a bit more like Elsa and just let it go, but I gots to be me!

Anyways.  Is there a way to deposit onboard credit before the cruise?  I've made the cruise as all inclusive as I can possibly make it thus far but I'd like to be able to keep to a budget if at all possible despite wanting to get those hats and towels and duty free booze and blinking cups.  

I just made my final payment 250 days ahead of time and pre purchased the drink package and excursions (thanks work bonus!) so I'm trying to think of other ways to prepay the cruise expenses.  If buying onboard credit isnt an option, I guess I can get a prepaid or secured credit card and just deposit into that ahead of time.

Yep gratuities already prepaid, beverage package prepaid, dining package prepaid, excursions prepaid, insurance prepaid... oh the cruise prepaid.  Even talked to my veteran cruiser father just to make sure I havent forgotten anything.  Dont need to worry about transfers since the cruise terminal is a 20 minute Uber away (worst case scenario its an hour drive away but that would be crazy bad traffic)

Just keep checking your expenditure on your TV. You can then budget as you go along.

My hubby also keeps all our receipts and checks the amount against our on screen balance on the last night.

There is always the final night to go on top but by then you will know roughly what your bill will be   

I don't think you can purchase OBC before sailing.  You can consider a gift card but research them fully before buying.  In particular be aware of having surplus OBC left over at the end of the cruise.

https://www.royalcaribbeancertificates.com/

Cruise Gift Certificates make the perfect gift.
Certificates are easy to buy and redeem. They can be emailed or mailed directly to friends and family. Use them towards the purchase of a cruise or for onboard credit toward the spa, gift shop, bar, specialty restaurants and more.

Your cruise vacation reservation(s) must be made at least fourteen (14) business days prior to the sail date and/or the gift certificate must be redeemed before the final payment date (at least ten (10) business days prior to the sail date).

How to Redeem Your Gift Certificates
Gift certificates can be redeemed as a payment towards your cruise vacation or may be used as an onboard credit. Gift certificates must be redeemed prior to your cruise vacation. Gift certificates cannot be redeemed onboard.

You can visit guest services on day one and put some cash down on your account as well.

Thanks everyone!  Those gift certificates frighten me because I have been seeing the stories here where they can only be used for cruise fares and not for OBC.  I think if I do that I'll contact Royal directly and get some kind of assurance its OBC and not for a future cruise.  Not saying I wouldnt use it for a future cruise, but I'd  still like my money going where I intend it to.

The more I think about it, I'm thinking a secured or prepaid credit card might be exactly what I need.  I could use the money in port or even for cash in a pinch where the gift cards would only be useful onboard.  And with the prepaid or secured card I could always increase the balance if I needed or wanted to in the future in the amount I want.  

Thanks for letting me talk this out!

7 hours ago, ThyriC said:

I'm one of those crazy people who like no surprises.  Like at all.  Ever.  Yes yes I know I need to be a bit more like Elsa and just let it go, but I gots to be me!

Anyways.  Is there a way to deposit onboard credit before the cruise?  I've made the cruise as all inclusive as I can possibly make it thus far but I'd like to be able to keep to a budget if at all possible despite wanting to get those hats and towels and duty free booze and blinking cups.  

I just made my final payment 250 days ahead of time and pre purchased the drink package and excursions (thanks work bonus!) so I'm trying to think of other ways to prepay the cruise expenses.  If buying onboard credit isnt an option, I guess I can get a prepaid or secured credit card and just deposit into that ahead of time.

Trip insurance?