Best Falmouth excursion?

mattymay

Blue Hole is in demand since it was included in the Netflix movie "Like Father". 

Dunn River Falls is attractive to some if you are outdoorsy and in moderate shape.  Bring water shoes.

Some prefer a resort for a day.

I would book an excursion of some sort, it's not a great self-explorer, wander beyond the port area type destination.

My impression is that A LOT of the things to do in Falmouth require a bit of a bus ride. Consequently, it usually becomes an "enjoy the empty ship and pool" day for us, although I would like to do Blue Hole at some point. Every video I've seen of Dunns River Falls makes it look like "glorified waiting in line while in water with a lot of people". 

I've also seen a couple good reviews of the raft river excursion, though the name escapes me right now. 

2 hours ago, KLA said:

My impression is that A LOT of the things to do in Falmouth require a bit of a bus ride.

You are not wrong. There are some excursions less than 30 mins from the port, but I've yet to find any that are worthwhile.

last year (on another cruise line) we booked the Jamaican bobsled excursion - for both us and the kids (2 8 year old boys)  - it was definitely memorable - high points included the ski - lift type ride through the rainforest and the observation area as well as the sports museum area at the top of the mountain. We did get rained on - it is the rain forest after all - but we definitely enjoyed it. 

• 3 weeks later...

Hubby and I are doing the Good Hope tour with lunch.  We've been to Jamaica several times but never to a plantation.  We've done Dunns River Falls and it really is a must do once.  Hubby did it twice.  Not really impressed with Mo Bay so I wouldn't book a tour going that direction. 

Last time we were in Falmouth, we went to the Hilton Rose Hall. It was absolutely beautiful and very relaxing. I used to avoid Jamaica but I would go back just to go there again! You can book it privately, but we did use the RCL shore excursion because there is (of course) a bus ride involved.

On ‎3‎/‎3‎/‎2019 at 6:19 AM, kontraxed said:

Last time we were in Falmouth, we went to the Hilton Rose Hall. It was absolutely beautiful and very relaxing. I used to avoid Jamaica but I would go back just to go there again! You can book it privately, but we did use the RCL shore excursion because there is (of course) a bus ride involved.

you were able to book Hilton Rose Hall through Royal Caribbean?

1 hour ago, rae995 said:

you were able to book Hilton Rose Hall through Royal Caribbean?

Yes. It was a couple of years ago. Frankly, I was a little concerned about the bus ride and, if there were any issues, being late for the ship's departure. So, I was glad to see it offered by RCL. I don't want to be in someone's "pier runner" You Tube video!

18 hours ago, kontraxed said:

Yes. It was a couple of years ago. Frankly, I was a little concerned about the bus ride and, if there were any issues, being late for the ship's departure. So, I was glad to see it offered by RCL. I don't want to be in someone's "pier runner" You Tube video!

Well darn. I wish they still offered one now! That's my exact concern!! It looks so nice, but I might just have to pick an excursion that Royal offers. I don't really see one that sounds good for Jamaica though. 

20 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I booked through "resortforaday.com" Hyatt Ziva, took my Grandson last year he still talks about that was his favorite stop.

Hyatt has 2 places, one allows kids and the other one is adult only.

Transportation was included with the price.

Did you have any trouble with the included transportation? Did you feel like you got back to the ship in enough time? Thanks

1 hour ago, rae995 said:

Did you have any trouble with the included transportation? Did you feel like you got back to the ship in enough time? Thanks

No problems, plenty of time, I don't think the ship left until 5 and they picked us up at the hotel by 2-2:30ish, it's a big bus because they drop off and pick up from 4-5 different resorts. We got back in time to walk around the shops and buy a few things.

The only problem I had was actually finding the pick up point inside the Falmouth port area, if you decide to do this make sure and take the instructions with you.

On 2/8/2019 at 2:23 AM, mattymay said:

For those experienced in Falmouth, Jamaica - what is the best shore excursion to do here? Open to anything, and not fussed if it's through RCI or someone else. Thanks.

Almost every Beach or similar excursions involves a loooooooooooong bus ride from and to the ship (some of them more than an hour long one way)

I would stay on the ship ?

4 hours ago, carlosalonsor said:

Almost every Beach or similar excursions involves a loooooooooooong bus ride from and to the ship (some of them more than an hour long one way)

I would stay on the ship ?

I would disagree on the resort that I went to, it was probably a 30 minute ride and that was with a stop at a Hilton to let other cruisers off.

If you look at the port of Falmouth on Google maps and then look up the Hyatt Ziva, they are a lot closer than say, going to Dunn's river falls, now that is a long ride.

19 hours ago, tiny260 said:

I would disagree on the resort that I went to, it was probably a 30 minute ride and that was with a stop at a Hilton to let other cruisers off.

If you look at the port of Falmouth on Google maps and then look up the Hyatt Ziva, they are a lot closer than say, going to Dunn's river falls, now that is a long ride.

I agree. I think that Hyatt Ziva is the one exception. Still, 30 min each way isn't close as other beaches in other ports. ?

• 3 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 8:28 AM, Matt said:

Blue Hole is fantastic, but quite a haul to get there (around one hour bus ride each way).

Day pass to the Hilton Rose Hall is another good idea.

@Matt, is Hilton Rose Hall now the Iberostar Rose Hall? Just want to make sure it's the same before I book it. 

Changed to this question after further research: Okay, now I see that the Hilton and Iberostar are two different properties. The Iberostar is offered by RCCL in the CP. I've seen many good things about the Hilton property. Anyone have anything to say about the Iberostar?

Edited by Baked Alaska
upon further research. . .

1 hour ago, Baked Alaska said:

@Matt, is Hilton Rose Hall now the Iberostar Rose Hall? Just want to make sure it's the same before I book it. 

Changed to this question after further research: Okay, now I see that the Hilton and Iberostar are two different properties. The Iberostar is offered by RCCL in the CP. I've seen many good things about the Hilton property. Anyone have anything to say about the Iberostar?

Other than what @WAAAYTOOO posted in another thread about the Iberostar, the Iberostar looks a little closer than the Hilton on Google Maps. We went down to the Hyatt Ziva and were blown away by the quality of this property. Here is Hilton Rose Hall from resortforaday.com

HiltonRoseHall.png

• 3 months later...
On 2/8/2019 at 9:55 AM, kjw83 said:

We were going to book the Reggae Hill and Jungle river tubing excursion...is that one a long bus ride to get to?  Has anyone done that one and recommend it?

@Kjw83 did you end up doing this excursion and enjoying it? We're trying to choose the right tubing Excursion through RC 4r Falmouth stop next year and there are a lot of options. Having a hard time deciding which one would be best

• 2 months later...