BOGO specialty dining package experience?

Kyle

I was wondering if anyone here has opted for the BOGO specialty dining package for the first two nights on their cruise. Hoping to get some thoughts on the value and was wondering if we are able to change the restaurant RC picks when we get onboard the first day.

I think the BOGO package is a great deal.  It's a good way to try a specialty restaurant and see if it's something you will enjoy.  When you book it, they will assign you a restaurant for the first night but you can change it to a different restaurant if you want, once you are on the ship.  Then you also choose where you want to eat the second night.

BOGO was a great deal at $25.  Then it went to $30.  Then it went to $40.  Now I see it $42.50.  

If you have never tried specialty dining and want to get your 'feet wet' it's possibly a way to do so if you pick your restaurants properly.  They'll assign you some automatically but if you check early enough soon after boarding you may be able to switch them to some of the venues you want.  

Do any of the dining packages allow you to change to any night and restaurant once on board (based on availability of course)?

Are we always forced to dine the first night, etc., in one of the specialty restaurants?

We used to purchase the specialty dining a la carte for 2 or 3 restaurants so this was never an issue, but we are curious about the packages.

Thanks!

Just now, JohnK6404 said:

Do any of the dining packages allow you to change to any night and restaurant once on board (based on availability of course)?

Are we always forced to dine the first night, etc., in one of the specialty restaurants?

We used to purchase the specialty dining a la carte for 2 or 3 restaurants so this was never an issue, but we are curious about the packages.

Thanks!

BOGO seems to be pretty strict about nights 1 and 2.  Other dining packages will usually start on night 1 or 2 and provide some more flexibility but it's important to deal with reservations early after boarding otherwise good times and venues are full.   

Adding this - beyond BOGO, people report different experiences on different ships.  Read the terms and condition at the bottom in the cruise planner and assume that is how it will work.  Ask and try to deviate and you may be successful.  More often than not people are.  I got into Hibachi on night one even though Hibachi is not supposed to be included.  It never hurts to ask. 

On 2/7/2019 at 6:58 PM, twangster said:

BOGO was a great deal at $25.  Then it went to $30.  Then it went to $40.  Now I see it $42.50.  

If you have never tried specialty dining and want to get your 'feet wet' it's possibly a way to do so if you pick your restaurants properly.  They'll assign you some automatically but if you check early enough soon after boarding you may be able to switch them to some of the venues you want.  

On my Symphony cruise it's gone up to $71 CAD.  Makes it less of a deal .  (Then again, that's also the cost of a single reservation at Chops) .  

• 1 month later...
5 minutes ago, Lorikay36 said:

How difficult is it to get in to Chops on your first night with the BOGO Package?

It depends on how early you get on the ship, if you get on early enough and go straight to Chops and have them book it, you should be able to get in.

It will also depend on what time you want, IE., early or late.

We did the BOGO in December 2017 on our 25th Anniversary cruise.  At the time that was the longest cruise we'd taken.   We don't do specialty dining on shorter cruises because we find the offerings in the MDR to be more than adequate...excellent even.  Yep.  I said it.  ?

But being a 6 night cruise AND a special anniversary, we tried it.  It was limited to the first two nights of the cruise, which was fine with us.  We got it for $35 at the time.

• 4 weeks later...

We'll be on Adventure next month and I'm confused with the restrictions between the 3-night dining package vs. the 2-night BOGO package. BOGO doesn't list any restaurant restrictions but the 3-night excludes Izumi, Chef's Table, Mystery Dining and Wine Pairing. Anyone know if BOGO has the same restaurant restrictions or why they're different?

You will notice this on the BOGO, some people have been refused CHOPS on the BOGO on night 1 so it looks to be up to the cruise and likely based on the bookings at each restaurant.

*Specialty Dining Packages must be booked at least two days prior to boarding and may not be available for every sail date. Each reservation must be used on the first and second nights of the sailing respectively. Packages include service charge and food portion only for dinner. Beverages not included. For venues with a la carte pricing, package includes a $30 food credit. Participating venues and cover charge prices vary by ship; additional charges may apply for food selections. Not available on holiday sailings. Not valid for premium experiences including Chef's Table and wine pairings dinners.

You can change your bookings the ship assigns you once you are onboard.  I have run into a situation where a specialty restaurant was not available due to a group event that booked the entire restaurant.  I was able to get the restaurants I wanted but just not my preferred nights.  If you want a very specific time or a certain restaurant on a certain night then this might not be for you but they are generally quite flexible if you go to one of the specialty restaurants to modify your reservations shortly after boarding the ship.