Booking a caribbean cruise from Europe

TAK2019

If you live in Europe, can you book a cruise with a travel agent in the States?

We live in Europe and booked a cruise in the Caribbean through our local travel agent. Our extended family lives in the States and used a US travel agent for the same cruise. They actually got some better pricing and deals, but maybe that‘s because they were a large group and got lower rates? I‘ve been looking back and forth now and after converting euros/dollars, it seems as if the US prices are always slightly cheaper. 

I remember reading that if you live in Europe, you cannot use a travel agent in the States to book your cruise, but the US travel agent who booked everyone else said that he would have been able to book us as well. Who is correct?

Would just like to know for future reference. TIA

I’m not a travel agent but my understanding was that US based travel agents cannot book Europenan residents.   MEI travel who sponsors this site has a special waiver for Royal Caribbean Blog Group Cruises that allows them to book European guests for these group cruises only.  

It could be that their agent could have booked your cabin under one of their US addresses to get around it or used a similar trick.  

European residents have different laws, regulations and consumer protection components compared to other regions.  If you booked through their US agent then something happened you would not have those items that you are accustomed to when making the same purchase at home.  

1 hour ago, twangster said:

I’m not a travel agent but my understanding was that US based travel agents cannot book Europenan residents.   MEI travel who sponsors this site has a special waiver for Royal Caribbean Blog Group Cruises that allows them to book European guests for these group cruises only.

Actually, that recently changed.  MEI can now book anyone, anywhere due to the nature of the global reach of the blog. But in general, your assessment is correct.