Fort Lauderdale Car rental

mickjacket

24 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

What you could also do, would be drop the checked luggage off with the porters, and then you and your wife take the car back and shuttle back to the port with just your carry on items

So it’s not difficult to get in and out. I assume just have our documents ready to show?

3 hours ago, mickjacket said:

May rent a car this Friday for one day. Pickup at airport and return to location outside Port Everglades. Problem, wife hates the idea of me leaving her with luggage and returning the car and shuttle back. So question is can we return the car with our luggage with us, is there room on the shuttle for it?

There is room for luggage on the shuttle, drops you off by ship.

14 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

What you could also do, would be drop the checked luggage off with the porters, and then you and your wife take the car back and shuttle back to the port with just your carry on items

I do this. In fact, what I do is drop off the luggage and my wife at the pier, and then return the car alone. One less seat needed on that shuttle ride back.

• 3 years later...
On 2/7/2019 at 9:19 AM, Matt said:

I do this. In fact, what I do is drop off the luggage and my wife at the pier, and then return the car alone. One less seat needed on that shuttle ride back.

I’ve been trying to find this answer… so it’s easy to go through the security gate and drop off luggage with porters? Do I go in the line with taxis? Are porters there? Where does the rental shuttle drop off… same place? 

Thank you!

34 minutes ago, Jaynice said:

so it’s easy to go through the security gate and drop off luggage with porters?

Yes..you go through the security entrance to the port and follow the signs to the terminal. You will turn into the port drop off area.  You will see porters with luggage crates.  You drop off everyone with the luggage and go return the car. They can wait for you outside the terminal.

The shuttle has to drop you off in the shuttle drop off area.  It's still at the terminal entrance, just on the other side of where you had to stop and drop off luggage.

I live in Fort Lauderdale and cruise extensively from Port Everglades. You don't mention your rental care company or identify where you have to drop the rental car off outside the port. I assume you know that the rental car company operates a shuttle from their place of business and tp the terminal you're cruising from (18?). Rental car company shuttles do drop offs at multiple terminals so should be no problem.

As others have stated, in your rental car, enter the port through the main security gate - there are tow of them (they will check your passport and boarding pass sometimes but not always, so have these handy). Follow the signage to get to your terminal. It can be a bit confusing - don't panic. There is plenty of signage to tell you which terminal your ship is docked at. Port Everglades is huge. You will be nervous about finding the right terminal. Follow signage and the traffic flow. There is a 4-wqy stop-light where the signage identifying which ship is at which terminal is angled and it's confusing on whether you turn left or go straight ahead. You'll figure it out.

One ou reach the terminal, there will be uniformed police directing traffic. Follow there direction to your drop off point (buses and cabs go one place, private vehicles another). Once you're curb side, a porter will approach you. You should already have all your bags tagged. If you don't, they'll tag them for you based on what your boarding pass says. Have that accessible if your bags aren't tagged. The porters are unionized, port employees and are all very friendly, helpful and its not at all chaotic. In advance, have a tip appropriate for you out of your bill fold in your pocket. The more bags you're dropping off the higher your tip should be. Jump out of your rental and open the trunk. My preference is to give them everything except your wife's purse - I have never not had my bags, back-packs, etc. not arrive at my cabin. The less you're carrying when you board, the better. 

If your wife is squeamish about being alone at the drop off point and waiting for your return (I kinda get that), take her with you to the rental car drop off and she'll ride back with you to the same terminal you just dropped your bags off at via the rental company shuttle. The shuttle will go through security with you and your wife on board. As I said, security may or may not check your boarding pass and passport but don't leave those docs with your porter!!! After the shuttle drops you off at your terminal, it's over. Calmly stride to the terminal entry and get ready for a great cruise not having any encumbering bags with you! First stop once on board ..... the bar preferably on deck and outside in the sunshine. Second stop, the lunch buffet. Have fun!