Fort Lauderdale to Port Everglades; Transfers or Uber/Lyft?

Hello All,

My flights should be coming available in less than a month for our late October cruise. 

We are based out of Orlando, but can get an early morning flight to FLL for very inexpensive, plus on Southwest so free baggage, woot! Also, if something were to happen with our flight, we could still make it to the port in enough time driving, which is why I am not going down the night before.

A few questions, what is the best thing about Transfers? Do they wait for you if there is a delay? Also, can you get a one-way transfer?

Also, at fort lauderdale airport do they have any place where you can store your luggage? It looks like our flight out wont be until 6pm (a rental car would be the same price). I know I should be able to check my luggage ahead of time. But what about carry ons?

Any tips, advice or anything are greatly appreciate. 

We always use Uber/Lyft so I don't have any idea about transfers.  Uber seems to be much less expensive than the transfers.

Looking online there is something called Bags to Go to store luggage for a fee.  You can only check your luggage 4 hours before a flight so you'd either pay for those bags too and then check them at 2pm for a 6pm flight.     

Yea, I'm not too worried about it. 

The good thing is that we won't be packing clothes in our carry on, unless its a hoodie or bathing suit. Since its an 8-night trip. 

It's funny I did the math today figuring out the prices for each of the different possibilities travel wise and the flights ended up being nearly a $100 cheaper and saves us 3-4 hours in a car.

4 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

A few questions, what is the best thing about Transfers? Do they wait for you if there is a delay? Also, can you get a one-way transfer?

I think the best thing about a transfer is the simplicity of it and potentially cost makes more sense based on how many people in your group.  Personally, I always lean towards Lyft or rental car.

4 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Also, at fort lauderdale airport do they have any place where you can store your luggage? It looks like our flight out wont be until 6pm (a rental car would be the same price). I know I should be able to check my luggage ahead of time. But what about carry ons?

No, due to security reasons the airport or airline won't do it. Bags-to-go will store your stuff for a fee: https://www.bagstogo.net/service.php?srv=3

Just now, Matt said:

I think the best thing about a transfer is the simplicity of it and potentially cost makes more sense based on how many people in your group.  Personally, I always lean towards Lyft or rental car.

No, due to security reasons the airport or airline won't do it. Bags-to-go will store your stuff for a fee: https://www.bagstogo.net/service.php?srv=3

Thanks Matt, I wasn't positive. 

Also, does RCI normally have curbside baggage people who will check your bag straight to the airline? I know resorts at WDW do it, I just wasnt sure. 

Southwest has a 4 hour checked bag rule.  They won't accept it until 4 hours before flight time.  

FLL does have a luggage storage company:

(this sign is in terminal 2 next door to terminal 1 that Southwest uses)

H18FDKv.jpg

Last week my taxi from Indy to FLL was $13.  I tend to use Uber or Lyft to the port but I tend to use a taxi leaving the port to FLL.  You can save a few bucks but some ride share drivers have a hard time entering the port and figuring out how to find you in Port Everglades.  Taxis are there and ready to go.  For the $2 difference it was easier to just jump in the cab.

Last week I debarked Indy in Port Everglades and took Southwest from FLL to Tampa to board Brilliance.  The $79 airfare was cheaper than any other way I could think of to get from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa.  

2 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Also, does RCI normally have curbside baggage people who will check your bag straight to the airline? I know resorts at WDW do it, I just wasnt sure. 

Technically the port and terminal are operated by Port Everglades, not Royal.  They do not have curbside baggage people like WDW.  

Some ships do offer "Luggage Valet" for $25 per person if your flights fall with the guidelines.  They collect your bags the night before debarking and you see them again when you land.  

6 minutes ago, twangster said:

Technically the port and terminal are operated by Port Everglades, not Royal.  They do not have curbside baggage people like WDW.  

Some ships do offer "Luggage Valet" for $25 per person if your flights fall with the guidelines.  They collect your bags the night before debarking and you see them again when you land.  

Lol, yes that is what I meant. How would I find out if a ship offers "Luggage Valet"? 

Also Yes on southwest fare, it looks like it will be $130 round trip pp for our trip in october. Its so amazing. 

Just now, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

How would I find out if a ship offers "Luggage Valet"? 

If you figure it out let me know ?

It's more consistent on Oasis class ships.  On Serenade in Port Everglades they didn't make it known but it was offered to suite guests so it must be available.   I didn't see it offered on Indy but knew my 10:30am flight didn't qualify so didn't seek it.

Suggest you ask guest services early in the cruise.  They normally want it completed and returned by mid-cruise. 

Here is a valet letter from a previous cruise:

1344613318_luggageValet2.thumb.jpeg.87e56552e67b3c9815259f4a13cbbb62.jpeg

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Southwest has a 4 hour checked bag rule.  They won't accept it until 4 hours before flight time.  

FLL does have a luggage storage company:

(this sign is in terminal 2 next door to terminal 1 that Southwest uses)

H18FDKv.jpg

Last week my taxi from Indy to FLL was $13.  I tend to use Uber or Lyft to the port but I tend to use a taxi leaving the port to FLL.  You can save a few bucks but some ride share drivers have a hard time entering the port and figuring out how to find you in Port Everglades.  Taxis are there and ready to go.  For the $2 difference it was easier to just jump in the cab.

Last week I debarked Indy in Port Everglades and took Southwest from FLL to Tampa to board Brilliance.  The $79 airfare was cheaper than any other way I could think of to get from Ft. Lauderdale to Tampa.  

Just a note: I called Bags To Go, and they said it was $8/day and they are open 9am-5:30pm every day!