Why You Need to Consider Travel Insurance... and other random musings

twangster

Yesterday I experienced a trip delay returning on a cruise and I thought it would make an interesting "lessons learned" post.

My 4 night cruise on Brilliance of the Seas left Tampa on time and on schedule.  It was a great cruise with a group of friends and we all enjoyed it.  When we finished our day in Cozumel and re-boarded the ship none of us knew how mother nature had her own plans for our return to Tampa despite calm seas and smooth sailing.

Fog.  Heavy fog.  

To reach the pier in Tampa you need to pass under the Sunshine Skyway Bridge.  In 1980 during severe weather a freighter struct the original bridge sending a section of the bridge crashing into the bay killing 35 people.  As such, Tampa and it's pilots don't take chances when it comes to weather.

We arrived to the Tampa pilot station six hours ahead of schedule in an attempt to beat the fog but the fog beat us, arriving earlier than forecast.

Our attempt to beat the fog and arrive early didn't come without cost.  Running any boat, vessel, craft or ship at full speed consumes a massive amount of fuel compared to running at a nominal cruising speed.  Royal spent tens of thousands of dollars on fuel and it's an example how Royal does try to do the best thing for everyone involved even if it costs them significant sums of money.

Waking up early on debark day I noted our speed was zero but we were still outside of Tampa Bay. Oh boy, here we go.  Up on deck 12 I could see several cargo and tanker ships hanging around with us in the fog.  Beyond the lights of the other ships you couldn't see much of anything.  Fog.

The Captain informed us that the channel into the port was closed by the Coast Guard and we would need to wait until the channel opened and a pilot could come out to board the ship.  The initial estimate was a 2:30pm arrival at the pier.

Not long after the Captain informed us that he just got word that another cruise ship got stuck in port the day before and couldn't leave due to the fog.  The channel through Tampa Bay is narrow and only one cruise ship can occupy it at a time, two ships cannot pass each other in the channel.  It takes 2 to 3 hours for a ship to transit the channel.  We had no choice but to wait for that ship to depart and clear the bay before could begin our entrance to the bay.  Estimated arrival now 5:30pm.  

Lesson 1 - Don't book early flights.

While sitting around an airport for a day doesn't sound that attractive you need to understand the risk that comes with booking an early flight.  Delays happens for a number of reasons most of which are no one's fault and unavoidable.  Weather delays happen, some ports like Tampa or Galveston are more likely to experience delays at certain times of the year.  Do some research before booking that flight.  Delays can occur for many reasons beyond weather.  

In my case, I had booked a 6:30pm flight home because it was cheapest, like $175 cheaper than the 10:30am direct flight.  Over the weeks before the cruise I kept looking at that knowing I could pay the difference on Southwest and grab the earlier direct flight but if someone said to me "I'll give you $175 and all you need to do is stay at an airport for 8 hours" I'd take that deal every time.

I knew I could get some work done using the free airport wifi so my plan was to get off the ship early and spend the day working from the airport knowing if there was a delay, I could be relaxed and not stressed out.  Not only did I save money but the later flight also saved me a bunch of stress during this experience.

Lesson 2 - Travel Insurance.  This is a perfect example of how travel insurance needs to be high on anyone's list to consider. 

Our group of about 70 included folks with travel insurance and some "self insured" as they put it.  Some people were out $400 or $500 per person to rebook next day airfare and they had to pay for a hotel and meals on top of that.  For a couple that can be over $1,000.  For a family of four that could be over $2,000.  Those with insurance will get some, if not all of that back.  Those without just lost a whole lot of money.

However know your travel insurance coverage and limits.  My annual travel insurance policy was chosen primarily for medical coverage.  It has some trip interruption coverage but it doesn't have great reimbursement for delays of this nature.  

Lesson 3 - If you have travel insurance, know how to use it.

A lot of people in our group had insurance but had no idea what to do in the hour of need.  What is their phone number? What is the policy number?  What is covered and what isn't?  How much is covered?  Do you need pre-approval? What documentation is required?  The ship had letters pre-printed and available at guest services stating there was a weather delay and some insurance companies will need that documentation for a claim to proceed.  

If you buy insurance that's great, but know what to do when you need to use it.

Lesson 4 - They keep the food and beverages flowing.  

No need to worry about your extra time on board, they have ample food for such events and lined up more activities to keep us busy.  Most people took it all in stride and rolled with it.  It was quite enjoyable, much like any sea day.

Lesson 5 - Listen to announcements and pay attention. 

On the last night of the cruise many people put their luggage tags on their bag and place them in the hallway.  Bags are collected by the crew and prepared to be offloaded once the ship reaches the pier.  It takes time for the pier personnel to offload thousands of bags.  There is a reason why bag tags have numbers and bags are offloaded in order so that numbers can be called only when those bags will be ready and waiting in the terminal.  

During an event like this there a natural tendency to want to get off as soon as the ship arrives but cruise terminals cannot hold thousands of people waiting hours for luggage to be offloaded.  

Of course what occurred once we did finally reach the pier?  Hundreds of guests ignored the announcements, made a stampede to exit during the "self assist" time and found themselves having to stand outside the terminal waiting for up to 2 hours for their luggage, with no where to sit and no food or water.  If they had listened to the announcements they could have been sitting comfortably on the ship with access to restrooms, food and beverages. Instead they made the self-assist process more chaotic and accomplished nothing but misery for themselves in the process. 

Listen to the announcements, follow instructions.  

Lesson 6 - You can't fight mother nature. 

It's not the crew's fault, it's not the Captains fault, it's not the cruise line's fault. Don't be one of those people making an already difficult situation any worse.   Even if you are one of those people who choose to ignore the lessons above, at the end of the day becoming ugly or snarky with the crew or terminal employees accomplishes nothing.  Sit back, take a deep breathe and relax.  Life will go on and it will all work out in the end.  Put a smile on in the face of adversity.  Be kind to other's and don't get everyone else spun up.  Staying calm and friendly helps other's stay calm and friendly.  If you are stressed out, it will make your spouse and/or kids stressed out.  If you are calm and smiling through it, your loved ones will be more relaxed.  Do it for them.

Lesson 7 - If you don't buy insurance you've only got yourself to blame.

Accept the fact that you saved some money by not buying insurance.  You took a gamble and lost.  The money saved by not buying insurance may take a small bite out of your losses.  No cruise line can change factors beyond their control.  It's not their fault.  You took the chance and lost.  Accept responsibility and move on.  

Me?  I got lucky.  A lot of factors combined to work out in my favor.  I had booked a later flight.  I have travel insurance.  I always use self-assist.  Customs was fast.  Taxi's were waiting.   TSA Pre lines had no wait.  Southwest did an amazing job getting my luggage on the plane checking in at 38 minutes before departure.  The stars aligned for me perfectly and I didn't need to make a claim against my insurance policy.  I was fortunate but in a small group of lucky guests.

Awesome post.

A couple of items on travel insurance.

1. Print and take the certificate of insurance with you (two copies). It has all the contact information and process/procedures in case of an 'event'. I am familiar with travel insurance and can tell you people are angry to find out they are not covered because they didn't follow the prescribed process/contact/procedures.

2. Make sure you understand how long your insurance covers you, especially medical. If your insurance is for 14 days and you are delayed to 15 or 16 days for example, you risk not being covered for events. If you are in your coverage window, and suspect a delay beyond your coverage time, it's usually a simple telephone call (and a fee) to extend by a day or two.

Different insurance companies, credit cards, etc. all have their policies and process. Your mileage may vary.

Interesting..and Tampa is notorious for that..sucks for those people arriving late and for those missing time on their departing cruise.

In todays day...why cant they steer through fog..everything is electronically done..they can fly a plane in the dark..why not a ship in fog....and really...these ships almost drive themselves.....I don't see why in 2019 fog shuts down a cruise ship....

I am sure there are lots of explanations..but we can fly to the moon..but cant steer a ship through fog..some things just make you wonder..

That being said....tampa is one port I would always book a late flight out or the next day for sure!

19 minutes ago, monctonguy said:

Interesting..and Tampa is notorious for that..sucks for those people arriving late and for those missing time on their departing cruise.

In todays day...why cant they steer through fog..everything is electronically done..they can fly a plane in the dark..why not a ship in fog....and really...these ships almost drive themselves.....I don't see why in 2019 fog shuts down a cruise ship....

I am sure there are lots of explanations..but we can fly to the moon..but cant steer a ship through fog..some things just make you wonder..

That being said....tampa is one port I would always book a late flight out or the next day for sure!

Planes have VFR or visual flight rules which are very different from IFR or instrument flight rules in the dark.  Planes are relatively agile and fly in highly controlled airspace managed by air traffic controllers.  No such equivalent system in place for ships.  No ship traffic controllers sitting in dark rooms watching radar screens of ships directing their movements like there are for airplanes.  

Planes are 1/10000 the size of a ship. 

It doesn't take three or four miles to stop a plane.  Ships don't turn on a dime.  Ask any Naval officer and they'll describe docking as a controlled crash into the pier.  

Planes have a complex system of navigational beacons and other aids (they don't use GPS).  Ships lack precision navigation because they are big and bulky and can't be controlled as precisely as a car or a plane.  That's why ships strive for one mile separation at sea.  

Boston is notorious for fog and planes routinely end up in holding patterns waiting for it to clear.

Why are there car accidents in this highly modern society we live in?

I get it....but I don't. We can fire nuclear missiles to hit a house on the other side of the world...but we cant get a cruise ship through fog....

Interesting..I am sure one day ppl will look back and wonder why they couldn't get a ship through fog....maybe in the year 2200 or something....

Just now, monctonguy said:

I get it....but I don't. We can fire nuclear missiles to hit a house on the other side of the world...but we cant get a cruise ship through fog....

Interesting..I am sure one day ppl will look back and wonder why they couldn't get a ship through fog....maybe in the year 2200 or something....

It comes down to money.  Same reason cars aren't fully automated.  Same reasons why trains crash.  With unlimited resources it's truly within reach, but someone has to pay for it.  

3 hours ago, Boston Babe said:

Thank you @twangster, it all makes perfect sense.  Curious, where do you find the insurance information if you booked it through cruise line? I've been looking  T-9 days before we leave on Lady G.   

Great question.  I'd ask your travel agent if they know.  I purchase my insurance directly with an insurance company so I've never bought through the cruise line. 

4 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Thanks for sharing! Glad you might your flight! Did Southwest give you any troubles with checking the bag so close to departure?

No troubles but they tag your bag with a bright yellow tag "LATE CHECK IN" and warn you it might miss the flight.  If it does they'll put it on the next flight but it's your responsibility to be at the airport for the next flight to get it.  They won't deliver it to your home or hotel since it's your fault for checking in so late.  

She also said she would call the gate and let them know I was coming but I made it before boarding began and assumed my A32 boarding position about 4 minutes before boarding started.  (A-list member)

The check in area was empty and I have TSA Pre.  If I had lines anywhere it would have been an issue.  I got lucky ?