Brilliance stuck at sea, Port of Tampa fog

My mother was due to return from Brilliance of the seas today, currently the ship is "stuck at sea" due to fog at the Port of Tampa. 

They are now expecting to get into port at 6-6:30pm.... YOWZA! 

Has anyone heard of this happening on this way? I know people were stuck trying to get out of port a few weeks ago...

28 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Has anyone heard of this happening on this way?

Yes, fog is a regularly occurrence in January and February.  Also affects Galveston during same time of year.

21 minutes ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

I hope their isnt a chance of running out of food or supplies, though I can't imagine there would be.

Absolutely not. They always have extra provisions and they are right now just off the coast of St. Petersburg, Florida. Not like they are stranded in the ocean.

22 minutes ago, Matt said:

Yes, fog is a regularly occurrence in January and February.  Also affects Galveston during same time of year.

Absolutely not. They always have extra provisions and they are right now just off the coast of St. Petersburg, Florida. Not like they are stranded in the ocean.

Matt, I figured there wasn't a chance. Thankfully everyone in my family who is on board are either Floridians or are staying in Florida after the cruise, so they don't have to worry about flights. I would assume this would be another fabulous reason to get Travel Insurance. 

Just now, twangster said:

They are starting to cut Voom packages off.  Guests services says weather isn’t their fault, can buy it at $30 for 24 hours.  I used my C&A discount to buy a full voyage plan on board.  They consider this voyage concluded.  

Not sure when I’ll be able to update again. 

Holy Crap! Does that mean they aren't feeding ya'll either?

Please update once you can! 

10 minutes ago, twangster said:

They are starting to cut Voom packages off.  Guests services says weather isn’t their fault, can buy it at $30 for 24 hours.  I used my C&A discount to buy a full voyage plan on board.  They consider this voyage concluded.  

Not sure when I’ll be able to update again. 

That's really unfortunate. I think everyone recognizes this isn't the cruise line's fault, but extending the Voom should be something they do. 

Knowing the Voom system, it's configured to always at the end of any sailing when the cruise is scheduled to conclude. You can see a countdown clock when you log on even with an unlimited package. So I get why it probably cut everyone off.  Regardless, this is definitely a "do the right thing" moment.

Is ship close enough to land to catch cell signal?

My original post didn't get posted when Voom cutoff.  Here is what I was going to post:

On the ship now.  Last update is that we have to wait for a Holland America ship that got stuck in port yesterday to leave.  The channel isn't wide enough for two cruise ships to pass, so once HAL leaves we can proceed in to port assuming the weather holds.

Brilliance has a charter starting today so those folks will lose significant time.  It's a music charter and they drained the pool so a stage could be set up over it for several bands that are part of that charter.  

We did speed up and arrived at the pilot station last night around 11pm several hours ahead of schedule but the fog arrived early and prevented us from proceeding.

20 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

Holy Crap! Does that mean they aren't feeding ya'll either?

Please update once you can! 

Food is flowing!  Full breakfast this morning, I just finished lunch in the Windjammer.

20 hours ago, Matt said:

That's really unfortunate. I think everyone recognizes this isn't the cruise line's fault, but extending the Voom should be something they do. 

Knowing the Voom system, it's configured to always at the end of any sailing when the cruise is scheduled to conclude. You can see a countdown clock when you log on even with an unlimited package. So I get why it probably cut everyone off.  Regardless, this is definitely a "do the right thing" moment.

Is ship close enough to land to catch cell signal?

No cell signal.  Guest services gave me a 60 min code.

Some rumors that the drink package is still working.  I'm not drinking today so can't confirm.

We have to be out of our cabins at 1:30pm so they can begin to prepare them.  Luggage storage is available in the Colony Club for self-assist passengers.  

All in all good mood on board, I think everyone recognizes you can't control mother nature.  They are running movies in the main theater and small theater to keep us entertained.  

It looks like that HAL ship is on the move outbound so hopefully we can slip in once she is clear and out of the way.  Fog has returned out here, fog horn sounding every two minutes.  It was clearer a few minutes when I sat on the outdoor seating area in the Windjammer for lunch.  Now we can't see 100'.  

Captain just announced we are proceeding to the pilot station, pilot tells him we are good to go once HAL clears.

Current time 12:55pm, anticipated pier clearance 5:30pm.  

Tampa Bay has a narrow channel that winds and turns, have to go slow once past the Skyway bridge which accounts for the several hours it takes to make it from pilot station to pier.  

Not even sure my 6:30pm flight is safe.  I'm going to try to make it, but the normal somewhat orderly debarkation process is going to be a zoo. 

Guests who put out there luggage last night will ignore the announcements and head off early clogging the terminal which isn't designed to hold a thousand+ guests waiting for luggage to be offloaded.  That will slow us self-assist folks down.

4 hours ago, twangster said:

My original post didn't get posted when Voom cutoff.  Here is what I was going to post:

On the ship now.  Last update is that we have to wait for a Holland America ship that got stuck in port yesterday to leave.  The channel isn't wide enough for two cruise ships to pass, so once HAL leaves we can proceed in to port assuming the weather holds.

Brilliance has a charter starting today so those folks will lose significant time.  It's a music charter and they drained the pool so a stage could be set up over it for several bands that are part of that charter.  

We did speed up and arrived at the pilot station last night around 11pm several hours ahead of schedule but the fog arrived early and prevented us from proceeding.

OH DAMN  These people are freaking out!!!

https://cruisetotheedge.com/

and I know they expect to have a FULL size stage on the pool deck, the pool covered too!!!

AND instrument for 32 BANDS!!!!

DISASTER!!!

3 hours ago, FloridaCruiseGirl1210 said:

@twangster Did you make your flight???

I did!  Arrived at airport st 5:52pm and made my 6:30 flight.  Luggage made it too!

1 hour ago, MotleyCruiser said:

Brilliance is still dock side in Tampa. I got confirmation from someone on board that they are putting a complete full stage on the pool  Deck and that they are covering the pool with plywood to make a general pit area in front the stage.

They had a crane on the dock getting ready to lift the stage onto the pool deck.  That was going to take a while.   

A2704CE0-BD15-4BE8-852F-AC04EC8CFDB4.jpeg

19 hours ago, twangster said:

Guests who put out there luggage last night will ignore the announcements and head off early clogging the terminal which isn't designed to hold a thousand+ guests waiting for luggage to be offloaded.  That will slow us self-assist folks down.

My prediction came true and scores of people with tagged luggage put out the night before left during self-assist time.  They had to exit through customs and wait outside 1 to 2 hours when luggage would be offloaded and only then could they re-enter the terminal to find their bags and clear customs again.  Some people just don't listen and think they know better. 

So rather than sitting comfortably in the theater or another venue they got to stand outside the terminal and wait, and wait, and wait.

2 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

Wow twangster.  What timing!  Glad you had an evening flight and made it!

I booked a late flight to save money.  I've pushed my luck several times with early flights but got really lucky on this one.