For those that have been to Orient Beach...

Mike P

I am going to book a Bernard's Tour to Orient Beach in a few weeks, I see that it's clothing optional.  My 2 girls (16 & 20 years old) don't seem to like the fact there will be nude people.  How bad is it really?  I assume most will be clothed?  I'd also assume many will just be topless?  And is it big enough to likely find a place on the beach not quite as busy, thus having less naked people?  Trying to get some info to ease their minds about it.  Thanks!

8 minutes ago, yzfmik said:

Trying to get some info to ease their minds about it

Here's a link for you, don't think it will ease their minds though: https://www.tripadvisor.com/ShowUserReviews-g1073588-d2008464-r471853107-Orient_Bay_Beach-Orient_Bay_Saint_Martin_St_Martin_St_Maarten.html.

There are other beaches on the Dutch side, have you considered those? :27_sunglasses:

5 hours ago, rjac said:

There are other beaches on the Dutch side, have you considered those? :27_sunglasses:

No guarantees there either.  We were on a Capt Bob boat tour in Nov 2018 and stopped at a very nice beach just prior to our stop at Maho.  As we were idling towards the beach, one female tour participant at the bow exclaimed "that man isn't wearing any clothes!"   And indeed he wasn't, and probably 70 years old at that.  Several ladies on the beach were also topless.  So maybe not as frequently as the French beaches but topless/nudity does occur all over St Martin/Maarten.  It's a different culture so just grin and bear it; or put on some reflective sunglasses and just grin... 

After reading many reviews I'm not too worried about it.  I'm sure we can find a spot on the beach that isn't too bad.  A few nude folks here and there wouldn't be a big deal, my kids aren't young where I'd be bothered if they see something.   

14 hours ago, yzfmik said:

After reading many reviews I'm not too worried about it.  I'm sure we can find a spot on the beach that isn't too bad.  A few nude folks here and there wouldn't be a big deal, my kids aren't young where I'd be bothered if they see something.   

I wouldn't be too concerned. It's far and few between.  Just because it allows topless bathing doesn't mean it's a nudist resort. Also, Orient Beach is massive.

Hey, @yzfmik! I literally just put a deposit down for the "Orient Beach Sun Splash" through them - I'd love to hear your thoughts on the tour and beach once you get back! In particular, would love some recommendations for drinks and food along the beach. 

We took a tour with them in February 2017 and loved it, and seeing that Taxis to Orient Beach from the cruise port are $20 each way and a little disorganized anyway, the $25 per person with the inclusion of drinks (and I'm sure great service!) seemed like a great deal. 

21 hours ago, KLA said:

Hey, @yzfmik! I literally just put a deposit down for the "Orient Beach Sun Splash" through them - I'd love to hear your thoughts on the tour and beach once you get back! In particular, would love some recommendations for drinks and food along the beach. 

We took a tour with them in February 2017 and loved it, and seeing that Taxis to Orient Beach from the cruise port are $20 each way and a little disorganized anyway, the $25 per person with the inclusion of drinks (and I'm sure great service!) seemed like a great deal. 

After emailing Bernard about the tour, he informed me that our tour would bring us to Grand Case not Orient.  Not really sure why the change (he's yet to answer me on that), but @Matt often recommends Grand Case as well so I'm not concerned about the change.  I'm hoping there's restaurants and bars there as well. 

28 minutes ago, yzfmik said:

After emailing Bernard about the tour, he informed me that our tour would bring us to Grand Case not Orient.  Not really sure why the change (he's yet to answer me on that), but @Matt often recommends Grand Case as well so I'm not concerned about the change.  I'm hoping there's restaurants and bars there as well. 

Oh, interesting! Okay - yes would love to hear any feedback you might have on your return. Have an amazing cruise! 

6 minutes ago, Matt said:

I suspect you are going to Grand Case instead because Orient Beach suffered damage from hurricane

Yeah... it was pretty much obliterated when we made a stop there as part of our tour last February. There were a handful of tourists and wandering vendors, and our tour guide said it was related to insurance and the French side was slower to build back in general. It sounds like it's slowly coming back to life and quite a few more places have opened back up along the beach, but still a work in progress. It does make sense.