Southwest - Check for Price Drops

twangster

Seasoned travelers on Southwest Airlines may already know this but like checking the cruise planner for price drops, if you are booked on Southwest Airlines check for price drops on your airfare frequently.

I've recently started flying Southwest more to cruises because of great direct flight availability from my home town and since two checked bags are free they are a natural fit for cruise airfare.

Over the past few months I've found price drops on some (not all) booked flights.  Going through the motion of "changing" my flights has yielded savings of $10 to $40 per passenger.  The credits are returned to you in the form of "Travel Funds" that you can apply to your next new booking and they are valid for 12 months.  

I've gotten into the habit of checking my flights frequently and this morning saw my exact flights for a March booking now $20 cheap per person.  Last week I saved $10.  A couple of weeks ago $37.  No change in flight numbers, times or date required.

It's important to make a note and keep the confirmation number for that credit documented somewhere which you will need when making a future new booking.  

Sure my combined savings only amount to $67 but heck that $67 I get to take off the cost of my next Southwest flight.  

Love Southwest for this reason.  They make it really easy to rebook and use the travel credits without having to speak to ANYONE.   Plus you can usually buy discounted Southwest gift cards at Sams or BJs online.  And if you don't care about Rapid Rewards points and being in charge of your own booking, there's even a secret shopper program if you're willing to do the work in exchange for a 50% refund.

• 3 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...