Question on dinner at Windjammer

marcg125

I usually do later dinning times but will often check out windjammer to see what's there. May pass or just get a snack to hold me over. Once though I hit the jackpot and they had out huge sea scallops and other fresh seafood. Need I say that I was a very happy guy and ended up skipping MDR. Have also done it the opposite way if I have early MDR. Will check out fresh fruit and deserts and I always seem to find a better selection to choose from.

Part of the whole philosophy of a place like Windjammer is that you can take whatever you want, whenever you want, and as much as you want. By design.

If someone thinks that having five dinners and eleventy-twelve desserts in Windjammer is against the rules, and that RCL is simply looking the other way, that person doesn't understand the rules!

On 2/2/2019 at 7:48 PM, marcg125 said:

I have late dining (on my reservation it states 8:30 for dinner at the MDR for my summer sailing). What if I would like to have a small bite to eat earlier at the Windjammer when it opens before 6 pm before I meet my group at MDR late dinner. Is this allowed or not?

If late dinning is an issue, once you get on the ship, go to the MDR and ask if they have early seating available, if they have openings they will switch you.

At anytime you can also do "My Time Dinning" (MTD) you may have a small wait depending on your group size and time just lake you might have at a land based restaurant during peak hours.

And as other have stated, going to Windjammers is not a sin, you also have Sorrento's pizza, Cafe Promenade and others, depending on what ship you are on.

11 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

If late dinning is an issue, once you get on the ship, go to the MDR and ask if they have early seating available, if they have openings they will switch you.

At anytime you can also do "My Time Dinning" (MTD) you may have a small wait depending on your group size and time just lake you might have at a land based restaurant during peak hours.

And as other have stated, going to Windjammers is not a sin, you also have Sorrento's pizza, Cafe Promenade and others, depending on what ship you are on.

Well I have a group of people sailing with my wife and I for her birthday cruise and talking to my travel agent she suggested late dining as it is easier and a more relaxed setting for a group of mostly adults and no rush for dinner when arriving back from the ports. I am fine with late dinner just checking if I can get something beforehand if hungry at WJ (more choices there which I why that would be a priority option to eat when hungry).

Just now, marcg125 said:

Well I have a group of people sailing with my wife and I for her birthday cruise and talking to my travel agent she suggested late dining as it is easier and a more relaxed setting for a group of mostly adults and no rush for dinner when arriving back from the ports. I am fine with late dinner just checking if I can get something beforehand if hungry at WJ (more choices there which I why that would be a priority option to eat when hungry).

Your travel agent is correct, the late seating is best for all of the reasons given.

Like someone said above, the problem I would have with going to Windjammer's is limiting myself to a "couple" of items, lol, a lot of what is in Windjammers is the same food that will be on the MDR menu, so you might just limit yourself to "snack" food so your are not duplicating.

I am an early riser, (wife tends to sleep in past 10) and also prefer to eat more smaller meals during the day rather than overloading myself during several large meals.  That being said I am usually found in the windjammer quite a bit, grabbing a small something in between meals.  You are on a cruise and you are allowed to eat as much as you want and are able to eat until your heart is content.  Enjoy and eat a kummelweck sandwich, a Caesar salad, and an oatmeal raisin cookie for me please!  (not necessarily in the same meal?)

Just now, NJCruisers said:

People mention popping in to the Windjammer and taking things with you.  Would we be able to do this on port days?  I'm only thinking like some fruit or a muffin or bagel to take with us as a breakfast on the go.  Or are we not allowed to leave the ship with any food?

I know Cozumel stops you from bringing food from the ship to the island. I don't remember any others.

3 minutes ago, NJCruisers said:

People mention popping in to the Windjammer and taking things with you.  Would we be able to do this on port days?  I'm only thinking like some fruit or a muffin or bagel to take with us as a breakfast on the go.  Or are we not allowed to leave the ship with any food?

I know you can walk off with packaged and sealed food (like a bag of chips or a granola bar or something) but I've been stopped for fruit before (in Cozumel - I was with my in laws on my very first cruise ever and when the dog sniffed my bag and sat down next to me their faces seemed to indicate they were certain I had drugs in my bag). 

Just now, KLA said:

I know you can walk off with packaged and sealed food (like a bag of chips or a granola bar or something) but I've been stopped for fruit before (in Cozumel - I was with my in laws on my very first cruise ever and when the dog sniffed my bag and sat down next to me their faces seemed to indicate they were certain I had drugs in my bag). 

Ha! That must have been interesting. I only ask because I have to take medication with food & I'll admit I was hoping to bring a bagel or 2 to feed the fish in St. Thomas.

8 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I have never seen them searching bags or have dogs sniffing bags in St. Thomas, so you will probably be good.

The Windjammer doesn't care, to them it's just another person carrying food out to the pool deck...

Oh I knew the Windjammer wouldn't care.  I wasn't sure about taking it off the ship.  Thanks for the St. Thomas info.  

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2019 at 12:01 PM, NJCruisers said:

Wondering too.  We have Aqua Adventure booked in Costa Maya and have heard good there is expensive and bad.  So was also hoping to being snacks or something to hold us over.

Just now, WannaCruise said:

Wondering too.  We have Aqua Adventure booked in Costa Maya and have heard good there is expensive and bad.  So was also hoping to being snacks or something to hold us over.

That’s going to be one that’s hard to answer.  I know that you are not SUPPOSED to take fruit off of the ship, and that fruit is not allowed back onboard.  You will find trash cans set up as you go through customs.  But I’ve also found that I’ve seen some make it through customs without issues.  We know the rules and adhere to them, I’m too much of a worry wart to try and work my way around the rules. 

Technically you are not supposed to remove food from the ship.  While they may not search bags in all ports it still is prohibited.  

In Cozumel they have trained K9's that sniff all bags.  If they detect food the handler will open your bag and remove it.  I'm not sure if Costa Maya also has trained K9s searching for food, but it's the same Mexican law so it is still prohibited. 

• 4 weeks later...