Aft balcony restricted view?

Marmaduke

Hello everyone, we are booked on an Indy cruise later this year. It's our first ever cruise which we have saved hard for and I'm now getting panicky about a few things. 

Current worry is that our balcony will have restricted views.  We have booked a spacious balcony stateroom on deck 7 (7668) at the aft of the ship. I picked it as it seemed like a good deck, not being over or under public areas, but I have now discovered from searching around the web that aft balcony cabins more than often have restricted views and I'm very worried about this.

I'm not expecting to find anyone who can give me exact answer on my specific cabin but has anyone had a cabin close to this and can advise? I'm thinking about changing the cabin.

Thanks to anyone who can help. 

Marmaduke

I looked at Indy's deck plans and 7668 is not exactly aft (at the very back).  It is towards the back but not right at the back.  Deck plans don't show an obstructed view of 7668.  When people mention obstructed view from aft balconies, they are usually referring to the ones right at the back where there is superstructure in the way.  7668 should not have any of that.

52 minutes ago, Marmaduke said:

but I have now discovered from searching around the web that aft balcony cabins more than often have restricted views and I'm very worried about this.

Welcome aboard Marmaduke, feel free to ask away with any questions you may have. There are three sections on a cruise ship; forward, middle and aft. Your cabin is located in the aft section on the port side and you do not have to worry about an obstructed view. Check out this link: https://www.royalcaribbean.com/cruise-ships/independence-of-the-seas/deck-plans/1836/07 If you look at the cabins that are all the way at the rear end of the ship (aft end), cabins 7708, 7710, 7410 and 7408 you will see a small double box icon next to the cabin number. In the icon chart (right side of the page), that box icon indicates an obstructed view cabin. Your cabin does not have that icon, it has a triangle which indicates a sofa bed. I would not change cabins, just look forward to your cruise! :27_sunglasses:

Thank you all SO much for your replies, this is a great weight off my mind.

This blog site is brilliant by the way. I've asked "dumb" questions on it previously and everyone is so helpful and nice! 

My husband often posts questions on a DIY site and the responses he often gets are rude and nasty. 

Well done everyone on here, you're a great help to us novice cruisers

On 2/2/2019 at 6:50 PM, RBRSKI said:

I personally would only book the aft cabins if they are in the corner and on deck 10 for Freedom or Voyager class ships.  Not so sure on other classes.

We have corner aft on Marinee on deck 10 (think it's 1688).  You recommend this stateroom?  It looks like it's a good size inside.

49 minutes ago, jticarruthers said:

Had 1688 on Adventure and loved it, booked on Mariner and looking forward to it .... only real issue is the "stripper pole" which may or may not be an issue depending on who you are travelling with. Cabin is great though.

So glad to hear.  The room is a spacious balcony but looks like the size of a junior suite (but regular bathroom).  Lol...I've seen pictures of that pole....travelling with our kids so aside from bumping into in the dark it by accident if need to get up for a bathroom break during the night, I don't see any issue with the pole (and won't be used as you mentioned ?)

Yes the cabin is the size of J Suite but does not have the walk in closet/bath tub etc that a real J Suite has. From memory this is the one with a balcony door that is more of a metal hinged door rather than the sliding glass door that is the usual, again not a problem just slightly different.

The pole is somewhat "right there" in the middle of the room but we did not have any incidents of accidentally running into it.