“I Dream of Genie” – Star Class - Harmony of the Seas – 03/10/19-03/17/19

Lovetocruise2002

I have just never scrolled enough to get this far so I completely missed this entire live blog (and the run up to it!). But I read all of your entries here tonight and it was great fun! I was so glad that you and your family has this experience and you will get joy on and on remembering it. Next time I will try to make the party before it’s over!!

Lynn

On 3/29/2019 at 9:54 PM, rjac said:

Going on 47 years of experience here and my wife now has her third degree black belt in shopping....she lost her credit card a few weeks ago and I didn't report it....whoever found her card and was using it was spending less than she was. So when we go shopping, I always hold her hand...that way she can't spend any money. My wife can't resist a sale, especially if it's marked down....last week she came home with an escalator!! (Thank you Rodney Dangerfield) :3_grin::3_grin:

Any sign with the word "CLEARANCE" is the bane of my existence...

• 2 weeks later...

Hi all! I just wanted to jump back on and say thanks to all of those that answered my Star class questions and a special thanks again for this awesome live blog @Lovetocruise2002! Our Symphony Cruise was amazing. Our genie, Alina, was phenomenal and made everything extra special for the kids. I have no idea how you manage to live blog your cruise because I barely had time to take pictures we were having so much fun! Lol.  We’ve already booked again for June on Radiance (alas, no genie) to celebrate my oldest son’s high school graduation. Thanks again for all of the advice! We were nervous but it was all amazing just as you said it would be!

1 minute ago, Minicruiser said:

Hi all! I just wanted to jump back on and say thanks to all of those that answered my Star class questions and a special thanks again for this awesome live blog @Lovetocruise2002! Our Symphony Cruise was amazing. Our genie, Alina, was phenomenal and made everything extra special for the kids. I have no idea how you manage to live blog your cruise because I barely had time to take pictures we were having so much fun! Lol.  We’ve already booked again for June on Radiance (alas, no genie) to celebrate my oldest son’s high school graduation. Thanks again for all of the advice! We were nervous but it was all amazing just as you said it would be!

Glad to hear that Alina was good to you and your kiddos and that you had a great time!

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@Minicruiser glad to hear that you had a great time and that Alina was awesome!  From what I know, she is newer, and it is comforting to know that there are good ones replacing the wonderful genies that have been leaving lately. 

So Radiance huh?  I can't go there....?

Uh oh, don’t scare me like that. I know it’s a small ship, but is it really that bad? Ovation was going to be crazy expensive for 6 of us this summer and we found a 2 bedroom owners suite on Radiance. Going more for the itinerary than the ship on this one....

37 minutes ago, Minicruiser said:

Uh oh, don’t scare me like that. I know it’s a small ship, but is it really that bad? Ovation was going to be crazy expensive for 6 of us this summer and we found a 2 bedroom owners suite on Radiance. Going more for the itinerary than the ship on this one....

Radiance class ships are gorgeous. The glass everywhere is incredible - it doesn't hide you away from the ocean.  I haven't been on Oasis/Quantum class ships yet, but I do like Radiance  class much more than Voyageur class ships (they just look like shopping malls to me).

25 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I haven't been on Oasis/Quantum class ships yet, but I do like Radiance  class much more than Voyageur class ships (they just look like shopping malls to me).

Quantum class' VIA / Royal Esplanade area looks even more like an indoor mall than the Royal Promenade on Voyager / Freedom class, with very little in the way of views outside until you get aft / over by Two70 Lounge. Unfortunately it's something of a required aspect of being a cold-weather ship -- not nearly as much glass in the public spaces, with the very notable exception of the Solarium. That space is fantastic for the outside view of the water as you're lounging in a hot tub or one of the many waterfall-style shallow pools, or enjoying a lounger at the very front of the space, or sitting at the bar enjoying a beverage. Two70 Lounge and CK also have lots of big windows for great views and water connection, and the MDR might have that as well (haven't been so can't say). But the other big public areas like Music Hall, Seaplex, Schooner Bar, Boleros, etc. have no windows or only a few smaller-size ones.

46 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

It will still be great!  I am just a big ship girl ?

We like the big ships too and planned our last trip around being on Symphony. But....I’m hoping Alaska is different....more about the destination and less about the ship. We have long port excursions every day except two, which is quite different from our symphony trip. Fingers crossed that my kids don’t get bored!!!

Like I said, I loved this blog. It's clear you adore Oasis class, so I'm curious to see how (if) we like Quantum Class, because I read your blog on Anthem too. I've been lurking for the past month. ? I'm getting ready to write my blog this upcoming week as we return to RCI after 10+ years on Anthem ourselves. But know that thanks to you, I'm researching Star Class on Oasis when she comes to NJ. Thank you again. ⭐?

I wasn't sure I would like Anthem as I am also a O Class fan but I did enjoy our B2B on Anthem.  I actually think Dan prefers Anthem to the O class as he loved, loved, loved 270 and doesn't have a particular love for the Aquatheater.  I truly love them both.  Anthem is very different from the other ship classes but it's a beautiful ship.  Enjoy your cruise on her !

14 hours ago, SweetPea said:

Like I said, I loved this blog. It's clear you adore Oasis class, so I'm curious to see how (if) we like Quantum Class, because I read your blog on Anthem too. I've been lurking for the past month. ? I'm getting ready to write my blog this upcoming week as we return to RCI after 10+ years on Anthem ourselves. But know that thanks to you, I'm researching Star Class on Oasis when she comes to NJ. Thank you again. ⭐?

Funny, this is a conversation Hubby and I had the other day about Star class on O vs. Q class.  I feel like it would be hard to decide which is better as they are different.  Q class has a lot more activities that the Genie can be of value in securing for you (Bumper cars, iFly, North Star, etc.) whereas O class has a lot more dining venues and shows that can be taken advantage of when sailing Star Class. 

For us, it is always going to be O class over Q, whether it be star class or not.  That is simply because we like the venues on that class of ship best.  Q class is not bad, but Central Park, the Aqua Theater and Boardwalk, and the location of the Suite Lounge/CK makes O class the clear winner for us.  We're sailing Anthem again in a few months.  It's sort of my way of giving her another chance.  This time in a different season (summer).

You will have a fantastic time on your cruise!  It's a cruise after all. Can't wait to read your blog!

On 4/14/2019 at 9:58 AM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Funny, this is a conversation Hubby and I had the other day about Star class on O vs. Q class.  I feel like it would be hard to decide which is better as they are different.  Q class has a lot more activities that the Genie can be of value in securing for you (Bumper cars, iFly, North Star, etc.) whereas O class has a lot more dining venues and shows that can be taken advantage of when sailing Star Class. 

For us, it is always going to be O class over Q, whether it be star class or not.  That is simply because we like the venues on that class of ship best.  Q class is not bad, but Central Park, the Aqua Theater and Boardwalk, and the location of the Suite Lounge/CK makes O class the clear winner for us.  We're sailing Anthem again in a few months.  It's sort of my way of giving her another chance.  This time in a different season (summer).

You will have a fantastic time on your cruise!  It's a cruise after all. Can't wait to read your blog!

On 3/19/2019 at 9:17 AM, betatke1480 said:

I'm definitely glad that our Anthem cruise is a 9 night, to squeeze an extra 2 days.  Although, I feel like the food fatigue will be even more...  

Curious, when are you going? We will be on Anthem starting June 6th. Second time with Star Class, first was on Oasis:)

On 4/14/2019 at 12:58 PM, Lovetocruise2002 said:

I do feel like the Genie was a little more valuable on Anthem than on the Oasis class ships.  As you said, there were many more activities that the Genie helped us with and since we did a B2B, it seemed like a LOT more things.  If we sailed with children it would even be more important.  We did not do things like the trapeze thing and we only did the bumper cars once.  I think the kids would be down there at the bumper cars endlessly !  I think we went up in the North Star 4 times during the 2 cruises.  The only thing that the Genie was hesitant to do (she actually said "no" the first time we mentioned it) was to reserve seats for us at the Music Hall, which I found puzzling.  But in the end, she did save seats for us but NOT in the way that they normally save seats.  She simply sat down in  1 seat and put her phone and appointment book down in the chair next to her.  I have to assume that the Genies had been instructed not to save seats in the MH but to me, that doesn't make any sense.  Maybe they had trouble in the past with people simply moving the drape....but it seems like the same thing could happen in 270.  Whatever.  In the end, we did get our reserved seats and we were grateful.

4 hours ago, TheHobbys said:

Curious, when are you going? We will be on Anthem starting June 6th. Second time with Star Class, first was on Oasis:)

@betatke1480, @tiny260, @Matt, and I, along with many others, will be on the RCblog GC on that 9 night Anthem sailing (July 4th).  We will all be jealous of @betatke1480 that sailing! ?

1 hour ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

@betatke1480, @tiny260, @Matt, and I, along with many others, will be on the RCblog GC on that 9 night Anthem sailing (July 4th).  We will all be jealous of @betatke1480 that sailing! ?

I looked at Star class for the GC, but the prices for that cruise have just sky rocketed, I was told because it is considered a holiday cruise, I think it's because the word had gotten out the you and @Matt were on this sailing, celebrity bot and celebrity blogger.

5 minutes ago, tiny260 said:

I looked at Star class for the GC, but the prices for that cruise have just sky rocketed, I was told because it is considered a holiday cruise, I think it's because the word had gotten out the you and @Matt were on this sailing, celebrity bot and celebrity blogger.

Prices on this sailing were high from the get go.  I had my eye on it long before I booked it.  That is why we are back in a JS.  Could not make GS and above happen when I am sailing SY two weeks later.  It came down to which one we wanted to splurge more on...SY won.

However, if you want to spoil you know who, there is a Grand Loft and Royal Loft that came back up recently.  I'll be camping out in your room if you upgrade ?

7 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Prices on this sailing were high from the get go.  I had my eye on it long before I booked it.  That is why we are back in a JS.  Could not make GS and above happen when I am sailing SY two weeks later.  It came down to which one we wanted to splurge more on...SY won.

However, if you want to spoil you know who, there is a Grand Loft and Royal Loft that came back up recently.  I'll be camping out in your room if you upgrade ?

I love her, but I don't think so, the Royal didn't show to me but the Grand loft did, holy cow.

3 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

The promise of the Genie is getting me through these next 76 days for sure.  Employee issues at the salon have me pulling my hair out, and I think my manager walked in on me in the break room when I was mumbling to myself "76 days until Star Class.  All work and no play makes Lance a dull boy"

i found your blog a week or so ago and loved it!  I'm new to this site and yours was the first blog I read. We sailed Star Class last year on the Allure and loved it.  Our Genie was great. This year we will again part with a good deal of our money and treat our family to Star Class. We sail May 19th on the Harmony. After reading your blog I wasn't sure if I could "settle" for any Genie other than Araceli?  Two days ago we received our Genie email. Like two little kids my wife and I opened it and saw those magic words "hello my name is Araceli...". Can't believe our good fortune!!  After reading of your experience sailing with her we cannot wait to meet her. Thanks for all of the valuable information. 

Jim

2 hours ago, Rags1 said:

i found your blog a week or so ago and loved it!  I'm new to this site and yours was the first blog I read. We sailed Star Class last year on the Allure and loved it.  Our Genie was great. This year we will again part with a good deal of our money and treat our family to Star Class. We sail May 19th on the Harmony. After reading your blog I wasn't sure if I could "settle" for any Genie other than Araceli?  Two days ago we received our Genie email. Like two little kids my wife and I opened it and saw those magic words "hello my name is Araceli...". Can't believe our good fortune!!  After reading of your experience sailing with her we cannot wait to meet her. Thanks for all of the valuable information. 

Jim

That is wonderful news!!  You will simply love her!  Please tell her that Sabrina and family said hi to her.  Are you in the Deck 10 ATS or RL?  I have a friend on the same sailing as yours, also Star Class.

26 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

That is wonderful news!!  You will simply love her!  Please tell her that Sabrina and family said hi to her.  Are you in the Deck 10 ATS or RL?  I have a friend on the same sailing as yours, also Star Class.

We are in the RL and my wife's twin sister and her family are in the deck 10 ATS. There are a total of 10 of us. Thanks again for the informative blog. We'll have to say hi to your friend!

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks for writing this, I’m taking my whole family on Symphony and will be getting SC rooms   I’m so nervous though we won’t get  a good genie as some of the reviews are horrible   And I tip extremely well  my party will consist of 9 adults 2 who are under 21 so, I’ll have to somehow coordinate multiple rooms and adjoining as well  I will work with my agent though on that  

18 hours ago, JET said:

my party will consist of 9 adults 2 who are under 21 so, I’ll have to somehow coordinate multiple rooms and adjoining as well

Just be aware that only those booked in Star Class cabins are entitled to the benefits.  The Aqua Theatre suites hold 8.  Royal Loft holds 6.  Villa Suite holds 14.  Those are some of the star class cabins that can hold more people.  The two Star Lofts (the category that we had) will only hold 4 each.

2 hours ago, Aeroman said:

We are sailing in less than a week on SOS.   We are in Star Class and have Berty as our Genie !!!   Anyone on here have him?   Comments???

Berty's background is as @CGTLH described.  He is a newer Genie but people love him as a concierge.  From those that have had him so far as a Genie, the reviews have been fantastic!  I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks! I’ll look into the villa. I always thought it was the Royal Suite but seems names are changing.  My last 2 cruises were on NCL.  Missing RCCL a lot. I’m so glad I found this. It’s been a very long time since I’ve been on the msg. Boards.  Someone on cruise critic had an awful Genie experience so I wanted to get many opinions. So Thank You. This blog has been extremely helpful. 

8 minutes ago, JET said:

Thanks! I’ll look into the villa. I always thought it was the Royal Suite but seems names are changing.  My last 2 cruises were on NCL.  Missing RCCL a lot. 

The Villa is very hard to secure.  I would advise booking that as early as possible.  There is only one on Harmony and one on Symphony.  So two in the whole entire fleet.  That cabin is usually the first to go.

17 hours ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Just be aware that only those booked in Star Class cabins are entitled to the benefits.  The Aqua Theatre suites hold 8.  Royal Loft holds 6.  Villa Suite holds 14.  Those are some of the star class cabins that can hold more people.  The two Star Lofts (the category that we had) will only hold 4 each.

Berty's background is as @CGTLH described.  He is a newer Genie but people love him as a concierge.  From those that have had him so far as a Genie, the reviews have been fantastic!  I'd say you have nothing to worry about.

Thanks for the information !!