Jump to content
WannaCruise

For Fun - Do you Repeat Ships?

Recommended Posts

3 minutes ago, Gears said:

We have been on multiple ships several times and every class of ship except Anthem. We have never booked based on a specific ship or ships, but given our experience if we had the option of going on the same itinerary/date/disembarkation port, there are ships, or rather classes, we would pick over others.

1. Freedom Class

The only time we consider the ship is when travelling with our kids.  For example, DH and I would have no issue trying a Radiance or Brilliance class ourselves, but if with our kids would select where there is lots of stuff for them (i.e. Oasis, Quantum, Freedom, Voyager - amped ships).  And with Royal's ships, the itinerary is last consideration as we look at the ship/date/price first.

I should add that when selecting our latest booking, which ended up being Harmony, we did put the ships first that we hadn't been on (Oasis, Harmony ....over Allure which we were on, and Symphony,  which is coming up). But that's just because we had the option between the four ships.  And if it came down to it, we would have no issue going on one of the other two again.,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, WannaCruise said:

The only time we consider the ship is when travelling with our kids. 

Ditto on that one.  If it's not Oasis or Quantum class or it hasn't been AMPed, it's out if we have our kids with us.  Now my kids have informed me that they no longer like salt water pools either so that list of "no" is growing and the list of "repeats" might be growing also.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Ditto on that one.  If it's not Oasis or Quantum class or it hasn't been AMPed, it's out if we have our kids with us.  Now my kids have informed me that they no longer like salt water pools either so that list of "no" is growing and the list of "repeats" might be growing also.

Our daughter commented last time about the salt water pool on Mariner (which is what she'll be "stuck with" next time as it's their only pool she can go in).

We don't have that issue...yet...with them adding to the "no repeat" list....but hopefully we'll get there someday...lol (meaning we keep cruising enough)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Ditto on that one.  If it's not Oasis or Quantum class or it hasn't been AMPed, it's out if we have our kids with us.  Now my kids have informed me that they no longer like salt water pools either so that list of "no" is growing and the list of "repeats" might be growing also.

Out of curiosity, which ships have salt water pools?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Voyager class.  No clue about anything below that as those ships aren't really on my radar, especially not with my kids.

Thanks. Did Indy have them? I think they did back when I sailed her but may have changed in drydock. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
24 minutes ago, Joe01 said:

Out of curiosity, which ships have salt water pools?

I have never heard of a pool on a cruise ship not being salt water (sea water actually). 

Any verifiable non-salt water pools on RCL?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I heard on Oasis class, the beach pool is salt water, but the other pools are freshwater.

And yeah, the Mariner is salt water.  I was on Indy in December, but not with our kids (as it was my daughter that noticed) so I didn't notice if it was saltwater or not (and we stuck with solarium).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As you can see in my signature, we have done Adventure a number of times (7) and have Freedom booked for several as well. We base the ship off of where we want to cruise from (mainly San Juan) so we are at the mercy of RC. Luckily, we loved Adventure and Freedom is also wonderful! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Joe01 said:

Thanks. Did Indy have them? I think they did back when I sailed her but may have changed in drydock. 

 

1 hour ago, Gears said:

I have never heard of a pool on a cruise ship not being salt water (sea water actually). 

Any verifiable non-salt water pools on RCL?

I can confirm that Indy has fresh water.  I have heard others mention that all Freedom class is fresh water.

Also Anthem has freshwater.

On all the OA class that we have sailed, one has salt water, the rest is fresh water.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, WannaCruise said:

I know...we keep saying this as well...not that we have any plans to move to Florida...but it would be so easy to jump on a ship at last minute or if it works with time off work.  For us, it's a 3hr plane ride each time (which means around $2k on non-peak times, much more during March break)

It's the plane fare that just kills all of us diamond wannabees lol!!!!  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gears said:

We have been on multiple ships several times and every class of ship except Anthem. We have never booked based on a specific ship or ships, but given our experience if we had the option of going on the same itinerary/date/disembarkation port, there are ships, or rather classes, we would pick over others.

1. Freedom Class
2. Voyager Class
3. Oasis Class
4. Radiance Class

That's just our preference on our style.

I have a feeling this will be my order after I take my first Oasis class in March.  I think freedom will be my sweet spot if having enough but not too many people. Never know though... Central Park may win me over!  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
46 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

 

I can confirm that Indy has fresh water.  I have heard others mention that all Freedom class is fresh water.

Also Anthem has freshwater.

On all the OA class that we have sailed, one has salt water, the rest is fresh water.

Not to hijack the thread, but what makes them decide which to use?  @Matt do you know?  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Were going on Anthem for the second time in 3 years, went on Adventure last year. We’ve been trying to go out of Cape Liberty lately to save on airfare. Hopefully trying to get on Oasis next year. 

I want to get on Oasis next year. I left June 2020 open for my Summer cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I have a feeling this will be my order after I take my first Oasis class in March.  I think freedom will be my sweet spot if having enough but not too many people. Never know though... Central Park may win me over!  Jane

The things we liked about Oasis Class:

+ Food - the number of options, places and variety was awesome. Specialty restaurants, ability to have breakfast in the Solarium as examples, 10/10.
+ Walking/Running Track - Two thumbs up

Things we didn't like (resulting in being 3rd on our list):

+ Amount of deck space on the upper deck. Having a constant crowd in shuffling in front of you looking for open deck chairs...regardless of where you sit, showed the amount of deck space per pax was low. Clearly a result of how they have physically integrated the segregation of the suite class (from the rest of us peons) and the sheer number of people. People were frustrated and it's the first time we had to get out there for 7:30am on sea days to get a chair. And the Solarium... 🤣🤣🤣
+ Having to reserve seating for entertainment. So much for looking at your watch and saying 'hey, maybe we can get a seat in the theatre?' (Canadian spelling) If the Aqua Theatre show is cancelled due to sea conditions...you're SOL. We understand why they have to do it that way, but it's not for us.
+ Merry-go-Rounds, Candy Stores...I can think of other things I would prefer to see taking up space.

If we had kids Oasis Class would be at the top of the list. They just don't match up to why we cruise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

My first-ever cruise was in '15 on Freedom to the Eastern Caribbean, and I was so totally blown away by the entire experience that almost as soon

as I got home, I booked the exact same itinerary for the same time in 2016.

 

We took Oasis last January, and loved her so much I did the same thing but didn't want to wait a year so it was in November.

 

So, yeah, I love taking the same ship more than once.  It was the crew members on Oasis that made me want to go again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

We're sailing Anthem for the second time this October, exactly 1 year since our last sailing on her. Partly it's for the same reason as @mom2mybugs, as Cape Liberty is an easy drive for us and we eliminate plane fare, so we're trying to focus all bookings for the next few years to be out of there. But we had a good time on Anthem and wanted to go back to Bermuda again, so she's our lady for that trip!

Apart from this, I'm personally more interested in the itinerary than the ship as I'm still so new to cruising and view it much more as a way to visit places I otherwise wouldn't / couldn't because of comparative cost of a land vacation to those places. So if a new itinerary means revisiting a ship I've sailed on, that's fine. And if it means trying a new ship, well that's fine too! 🙂 

I'm guessing that over time my wife will find a particular ship or set of ships she likes most and start asking for more sailings on those. Just the nature of our sun signs -- I'm an Aquarius and always looking for the new, while my wife is a Cancer and likes things to be predictable and stable. 😉 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think when you repeat a ship, it feels more like home!  I know this sounds crazy, but this allows you to find everything more quicker and you have the chance to sail with the same crew.  There is nothing like walking down a hallway and one of the cabin stateroom attendants or any cruise staff say hello to you by name.  Wilma on the Freedom is awesome and my great friend Usha on the Allure.  Can't wait to see her in March!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Gears said:

The things we liked about Oasis Class:

+ Food - the number of options, places and variety was awesome. Specialty restaurants, ability to have breakfast in the Solarium as examples, 10/10.
+ Walking/Running Track - Two thumbs up

Things we didn't like (resulting in being 3rd on our list):

+ Amount of deck space on the upper deck. Having a constant crowd in shuffling in front of you looking for open deck chairs...regardless of where you sit, showed the amount of deck space per pax was low. Clearly a result of how they have physically integrated the segregation of the suite class (from the rest of us peons) and the sheer number of people. People were frustrated and it's the first time we had to get out there for 7:30am on sea days to get a chair. And the Solarium... 🤣🤣🤣
+ Having to reserve seating for entertainment. So much for looking at your watch and saying 'hey, maybe we can get a seat in the theatre?' (Canadian spelling) If the Aqua Theatre show is cancelled due to sea conditions...you're SOL. We understand why they have to do it that way, but it's not for us.
+ Merry-go-Rounds, Candy Stores...I can think of other things I would prefer to see taking up space.

If we had kids Oasis Class would be at the top of the list. They just don't match up to why we cruise.

I’m in a panic over deck space.  All I do on sea days is relax and sun.  I made the mistake of reading a chair hog thread on the “other” board and now I’m freaked lol!  Oh well...I’m planning on staying onboard in st Maarten so maybe then I will get a chair in the solarium.....maaayyyybbbbeee!!  Jane

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, RBRSKI said:

I think when you repeat a ship, it feels more like home!  I know this sounds crazy, but this allows you to find everything more quicker and you have the chance to sail with the same crew.  There is nothing like walking down a hallway and one of the cabin stateroom attendants or any cruise staff say hello to you by name.  Wilma on the Freedom is awesome and my great friend Usha on the Allure.  Can't wait to see her in March!

That's awesome, and a great advantage of sailing again in same ship 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

×
×
  • Create New...