For Fun - Do you Repeat Ships?

3 hours ago, Ogalthorpe Haywood said:

Were going on Anthem for the second time in 3 years, went on Adventure last year. We’ve been trying to go out of Cape Liberty lately to save on airfare. Hopefully trying to get on Oasis next year. 

I want to get on Oasis next year. I left June 2020 open for my Summer cruise.

3 hours ago, mom2mybugs said:

I have a feeling this will be my order after I take my first Oasis class in March.  I think freedom will be my sweet spot if having enough but not too many people. Never know though... Central Park may win me over!  Jane

The things we liked about Oasis Class:

+ Food - the number of options, places and variety was awesome. Specialty restaurants, ability to have breakfast in the Solarium as examples, 10/10.
+ Walking/Running Track - Two thumbs up

Things we didn't like (resulting in being 3rd on our list):

+ Amount of deck space on the upper deck. Having a constant crowd in shuffling in front of you looking for open deck chairs...regardless of where you sit, showed the amount of deck space per pax was low. Clearly a result of how they have physically integrated the segregation of the suite class (from the rest of us peons) and the sheer number of people. People were frustrated and it's the first time we had to get out there for 7:30am on sea days to get a chair. And the Solarium... ???
+ Having to reserve seating for entertainment. So much for looking at your watch and saying 'hey, maybe we can get a seat in the theatre?' (Canadian spelling) If the Aqua Theatre show is cancelled due to sea conditions...you're SOL. We understand why they have to do it that way, but it's not for us.
+ Merry-go-Rounds, Candy Stores...I can think of other things I would prefer to see taking up space.

If we had kids Oasis Class would be at the top of the list. They just don't match up to why we cruise.

My first-ever cruise was in '15 on Freedom to the Eastern Caribbean, and I was so totally blown away by the entire experience that almost as soon

as I got home, I booked the exact same itinerary for the same time in 2016.

We took Oasis last January, and loved her so much I did the same thing but didn't want to wait a year so it was in November.

So, yeah, I love taking the same ship more than once.  It was the crew members on Oasis that made me want to go again.

We're sailing Anthem for the second time this October, exactly 1 year since our last sailing on her. Partly it's for the same reason as @mom2mybugs, as Cape Liberty is an easy drive for us and we eliminate plane fare, so we're trying to focus all bookings for the next few years to be out of there. But we had a good time on Anthem and wanted to go back to Bermuda again, so she's our lady for that trip!

Apart from this, I'm personally more interested in the itinerary than the ship as I'm still so new to cruising and view it much more as a way to visit places I otherwise wouldn't / couldn't because of comparative cost of a land vacation to those places. So if a new itinerary means revisiting a ship I've sailed on, that's fine. And if it means trying a new ship, well that's fine too! ? 

I'm guessing that over time my wife will find a particular ship or set of ships she likes most and start asking for more sailings on those. Just the nature of our sun signs -- I'm an Aquarius and always looking for the new, while my wife is a Cancer and likes things to be predictable and stable. ? 

I think when you repeat a ship, it feels more like home!  I know this sounds crazy, but this allows you to find everything more quicker and you have the chance to sail with the same crew.  There is nothing like walking down a hallway and one of the cabin stateroom attendants or any cruise staff say hello to you by name.  Wilma on the Freedom is awesome and my great friend Usha on the Allure.  Can't wait to see her in March!

3 hours ago, Gears said:

The things we liked about Oasis Class:

+ Food - the number of options, places and variety was awesome. Specialty restaurants, ability to have breakfast in the Solarium as examples, 10/10.
+ Walking/Running Track - Two thumbs up

Things we didn't like (resulting in being 3rd on our list):

+ Amount of deck space on the upper deck. Having a constant crowd in shuffling in front of you looking for open deck chairs...regardless of where you sit, showed the amount of deck space per pax was low. Clearly a result of how they have physically integrated the segregation of the suite class (from the rest of us peons) and the sheer number of people. People were frustrated and it's the first time we had to get out there for 7:30am on sea days to get a chair. And the Solarium... ???
+ Having to reserve seating for entertainment. So much for looking at your watch and saying 'hey, maybe we can get a seat in the theatre?' (Canadian spelling) If the Aqua Theatre show is cancelled due to sea conditions...you're SOL. We understand why they have to do it that way, but it's not for us.
+ Merry-go-Rounds, Candy Stores...I can think of other things I would prefer to see taking up space.

If we had kids Oasis Class would be at the top of the list. They just don't match up to why we cruise.

I’m in a panic over deck space.  All I do on sea days is relax and sun.  I made the mistake of reading a chair hog thread on the “other” board and now I’m freaked lol!  Oh well...I’m planning on staying onboard in st Maarten so maybe then I will get a chair in the solarium.....maaayyyybbbbeee!!  Jane

Just now, RBRSKI said:

I think when you repeat a ship, it feels more like home!  I know this sounds crazy, but this allows you to find everything more quicker and you have the chance to sail with the same crew.  There is nothing like walking down a hallway and one of the cabin stateroom attendants or any cruise staff say hello to you by name.  Wilma on the Freedom is awesome and my great friend Usha on the Allure.  Can't wait to see her in March!

That's awesome, and a great advantage of sailing again in same ship 

On 2/1/2019 at 5:38 PM, WannaCruise said:

(Dream is someday to try a Junior Suite but hasn't happened yet).

Careful with that dream, now.  I spoiled myself with a junior suite one time, and now it's like a standard requirement.  I'll occasionally settle for an ocean view when it's a short getaway or a last minute decision, but now that I've finally figured out the royal up thing, I'm in real trouble.

Oh, junior suite just came available? GRANDE suite, you say?

acb.jpg

Guilty of repeat sailings with Royal Caribbean: Allure 3 times, Harmony 3 times and an upcoming b2b on Harmony in May 2019.  Love the ship, itinerary and staff. We follow  Concierge like they’re family.  We never get anxious about doing everything on one sailing, but we’d love to have a perfect day st  CoCo Cay in May!   Some of our best travels are  from our Suite to the Suite Lounge/Coastal Kitchen, sunning and sipping on the balcony.  Our land travels take us to other places. Our cruises are to relax in familiar retreats, sometimes with family but more often just the 2 of us.  If loving the Caribbean is wrong...I don’t wanna be right! 

7 hours ago, RBRSKI said:

The above is true. We were on Majesty three times last Summer. The crew was just awesome. It was great going that people knew your name. Felt like Norm from Cheers.

11 hours ago, PocketsRN said:

Careful with that dream, now.  I spoiled myself with a junior suite one time, and now it's like a standard requirement.  I'll occasionally settle for an ocean view when it's a short getaway or a last minute decision, but now that I've finally figured out the royal up thing, I'm in real trouble.

Oh, junior suite just came available? GRANDE suite, you say?

Lol...can totally see that.  We typically do insides for the price (promenade) but we did try and balcony last summer and see the fuss.  Our upcoming cruises are a mix (including a balcony) and I totally get what you're saying.  My mentality used to be "we're never in the stateroom except to sleep and shower so doesn't matter" but even that hour in the morning watching the sun rise while waiting for our kids to get up was heaven.  And this summer we're trying 2 staterooms so may be hard to return to one.  Then...if we ever try JS, can imagine the space and normal bathroom will be wonderful and hard to return.  All very addicting and with each one, there is something better. ?

On 2/4/2019 at 4:19 PM, coneyraven said:

Absolutely, been on Grandeur 3 times with a 4th one scheduled ...... We love Lady G --- Although the main contributing factor is her proximity to where we live .... Maryland.   No flying involved.

Same for us, Poo-bah. We sail frequently on Brilliance as we live across the Bay from Tampa. Can't beat the convenience, out of our condo, up the Interstate and on board in an hour!

15 minutes ago, eaglesfaninfl said:

Same for us, Poo-bah. We sail frequently on Brilliance as we live across the Bay from Tampa. Can't beat the convenience, out of our condo, up the Interstate and on board in an hour!

Wow --- that's nice ..... we're not that close to Baltimore (about 2 1/2 hours west) --- we are literally at the western end of the state (closer to Pittsburgh or Morgantown, WV).

Speaking of Brilliance, we'll be on her in April for Easter.....it'll be our first time on a Radiance Class.  Looking forward to it.

22 hours ago, coneyraven said:

Wow --- that's nice ..... we're not that close to Baltimore (about 2 1/2 hours west) --- we are literally at the western end of the state (closer to Pittsburgh or Morgantown, WV).

Speaking of Brilliance, we'll be on her in April for Easter.....it'll be our first time on a Radiance Class.  Looking forward to it.

I think you will really enjoy that class of ship, not too big but big enough to keep adults occupied and interested. Aft of the WJ, there is a fairly large open-air seating which is perfect for breakfast or a morning coffee or lunch or just about anything. Lots of glass, you can see water from almost any inside location, and the Schooner Bar is perfectly located for a drink and a view. The crew is really friendly and helpful. We've done Thanksgiving aboard her for the last three years and have a fourth planned for 2019. Enjoy your Trip!

On 2/2/2019 at 7:31 PM, PocketsRN said:

I spoiled myself with a junior suite one time, and now it's like a standard requirement.  I'll occasionally settle for an ocean view when it's a short getaway or a last minute decision,

In 2015, 2016 and 2017 we were in nothing but Jr. Suites, all on different ships, fell in love with them, then July of last year decided to book a last minute cruise on Allure in October, the only thing available was a balcony, when we got to the room and opened the door the look on my wife's face was priceless, she was "How are we going to fit in this room?" I just said, a cruise, no matter what is better than no cruise at all, we just ended up spending more time in the Diamond lounge than normal.

1 hour ago, tiny260 said:

when we got to the room and opened the door the look on my wife's face was priceless, she was "How are we going to fit in this room?"

Umm....I need to be there in person when you walk into your cabin on the Anthem GC!  Can't wait to see her face then from what you just came from! ?

56 minutes ago, Lovetocruise2002 said:

Umm....I need to be there in person when you walk into your cabin on the Anthem GC!  Can't wait to see her face then from what you just came from! ?

Don't worry about feeling to bad, it's a Grand Suite so I'm sure she can suffer though that, she is spoiled though...

And you can tell her I said  that.