Sailing out of Puerto Rico - Any tips?

Gisser

I've sailed a lot on Royal Caribbean out of Ft. Lauderdale and Miami. I have a sailing coming up out of Puerto Rico and I'm a little intimidated because I have never sailed out of that port before. How is the cab ride to the terminal, the terminal itself and the embarkation process? Thanks for any insight!

Hi

You have nothing to worry about ?

i sailed for the very first time out of San Juan and i could not find fault with anything.

We stayed in a hotel in the Isla Verde area for 2 nights prior to the cruise, getting an uber to the cruise terminal was easy and only cost $11. Due to there being 2 cruise ships sailing that day traffic was pretty busy, what should have taken 15mins at most took 1hr. We planned to arrive at 10:30AM to beat the que's however arrived at 11:15 am and was still on ship very quickly.

The Terminal was easy to access and we were on ship in no time at all, in fact spent longer in shop than in que waiting to be seen, from getting out of uber to on ship in less that 40mins.

We used RC shuttle to airport, it cost more than taxi/uber but couldnt be bothered waiting on a taxi/uber. Your luggage is put onto a small truck and thats the last you see of it until it gets to airport. At airport you are dropped of at an area where an RC rep is sitting outside and you either collect your luggage or wait for it. 

Loved San Juan and will cruise from here again 

Agree with everything @Ray says, I have cruised out of there at least 5 times, stayed at Condado Beach and old Town.

One thing to keep in consideration is that there are basically to cruise piers as far as Royal is considered, one is if the ship is using the pier for the day as a port stop, it is directly in front of old town and there is a Sheraton Hotel Old Town directly in front of the pier (San Juan Cruise Port terminal).

The other is around the water front from old town and it is used when you are departing and returning to San Juan as the home port (Pan American Pier 1).

So if you look it up on Google maps make sure you differentiate these two terminals/piers.

Old San Juan is a beautiful old historical City, if you can fly in a day earlier (This is highly recommended and encouraged) plan on site seeing around Old Town.

I sailed out of P.R. once and it was great. Our group just jumped in the taxi line right outside the baggage claim, was easy and cheaper than the states. We also stayed in a vacation rental for a few days after the cruise in Rincon. Again we had a nice place right on the beach and it was very reasonably priced. 

We sailed out of Puerto Rico several times.  The first time, our flight was the same morning as embarkation.  Although everything went fine, we felt a little rushed as we watched Puerto Rico buzz by from the taxi.  Subsequently, we now fly to PR a day or two ahead - and have even started staying a day in PR post cruise. It is much more relaxing - and gives us time to explore.  We usually stay at either the El Dorado beach resort or the Ritz Carlton - both of which we highly recommend.  Traveling to the fort and downtown PR from these hotels require short taxi ride, but that was fine for us!