Things to do in Cape Canaveral (or surrounding area)

kate7723

If you want to do "touristy" things, there is always Ron Jon's if you head south on A1A.  If you have most of the day to spend, you could visit Kennedy Space Center, there are nice exhibits and a bus ride that takes you all over the center.  There area  couple of nice seafood restaurants at the port (Rusty's, Grills, etc).  Lots of people like visiting the Cape Canaveral Pier.  

I assume you will be taking the Oasis out - I'm jealous!!  I live close by there, from Merritt Island we can see the Oasis sticking up on Port Canaveral skyline......

I Live Two Miles From The Port And My Favorite Things To Do Is The Space Center. For Lunch I Wound Got To Fishlips. It Is Less Than A Minute From Terminal 1 And Has So Good Of Food That Elon Musk Goes There To Eat When He Is In The Area. Also Do The Tower There. The Tower Looks Like A Sail Boat Sail. Inside The Tower There Is A Museum About The Port And Area. 

• Kennedy Space Center visitor center is excellent, and while less expensive than theme parks, not cheap either. 
  • Speaking of Theme Parks, they are the best in the world, if you're into theme parks. Disney is great for families of all ages, but especially 10 & under, while Universal has the roller coasters that most teenagers are looking for. Figure on about 80 minutes drive to Disney, less with good traffic.
  • Assuming the government is open, Canaveral National Seashore (aka Playalinda Beach) is usually uncrowded and a nice beach. Clothing rules are unenforced at the very very far end of the beach, or so I am told. No such issues in the first few miles of beach parking though.
  • Also on Canaveral property is the Black Point Wildlife Drive, a gravel loop a few miles long where you can see bald eagles and assorted Floridian wildlife. A hidden gem imo.
  • Easy to get to in Orlando is the Crayola Experience, I hear good things from people with younger kids
  • There's a nice shopping complex/outdoor mall nearby in Viera, and some very mediocre malls in Merritt Island and Titusville. Go to Viera.
  • Ron Jon is neat, once, worth a visit if you like Been There Done That kinda things.
  • Daytona is also a very doable drive, the world famous speedway there has daily track tours if that revs your engine. I wouldn't go just for the beach, though, hit Cocoa or Playalinda and save the gas.
  • St. Augustine is farther than Orlando, probably at the outer limits of a day trip, but has a different feel than the recent history of KSC or tourist-ness of Orlando.

Oops, just re-read that you'll be there in February. The beach advice might apply, but probably not. Have a great time though!

36 minutes ago, Matt said:

Kennedy Space Center or drive to Orlando for the day is a decent option for rainy day. KSC has outdoor walking, but their exhibits are all pretty much indoors.

What makes KSC so amazing is the building devoted to the Space Shuttle Atlantis --- The entire lead up to it as you see the history of the shuttle program is something, you will NEVER forget.  As you enter the building, you walk under two solid rocket boosters (pictured) ---- plus the section devoted to those lost on the Challenger and Columbia will bring a tear to your eye

KSC2.jpg

KSC1.jpg

Just now, coneyraven said:

What makes KSC so amazing is the building devoted to the Space Shuttle Atlantis --- The entire lead up to it as you see the history of the shuttle program is something, you will NEVER forget.  As you enter the building, you walk under two solid rocket boosters (pictured) ---- plus the section devoted to those lost on the Challenger and Columbia will bring a tear to your eye

KSC2.jpg

KSC1.jpg

WOW that is REALLY cool!!!  

1 hour ago, NeonD7 said:

If you want to do "touristy" things, there is always Ron Jon's if you head south on A1A.  If you have most of the day to spend, you could visit Kennedy Space Center, there are nice exhibits and a bus ride that takes you all over the center.  There area  couple of nice seafood restaurants at the port (Rusty's, Grills, etc).  Lots of people like visiting the Cape Canaveral Pier.  

I assume you will be taking the Oasis out - I'm jealous!!  I live close by there, from Merritt Island we can see the Oasis sticking up on Port Canaveral skyline......

We are actually on Harmony....by Ron Jon's do you mean the resort that is coming up on Google or is there something else?

Dont try to go to Disney World.  Trying to cram any of the theme parks in just a day  (a short day at that) is going to be a waste of money and you will spend a a better park of the day traveling, parking and just going through the process of buying tickets. Not fair to the kids and you will be worn out before you even start the cruise.    Since your already close,  Kennedy Space Center would be your best bet.  Enjoy the cruise,  your family will really love the Harmony.