First ever cruise !

Philowen

I'm going on my first cruise from Dubai over New Year.

I've booked a night in Dubai before the cruise.

I'm considering spending the day in Dubai before boarding. The ship sails at 6pm.

Not knowing how long the boarding process takes, what is the latest time to arrive at the port ?

Also, are there any things that I should pre book on the ship before leaving the UK ?

Any other first time cruise advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

Keep in mind the sail time is not the time you have to be onboard.  Embarkation takes a lot of time and I would not be surprised to hear you have to board a few hours earlier.  The reason for this is there are muster drills that have to be competed and a list of all that are sailing given to local authorities.

I would recommend arriving to your ship well in advance of that 6pm sail time.  I always get there as early as possible.  If you want to do some sightseeing in Dubai, I would do that in the day(s) leading up to your cruise.

More than likely, you'll need to check in 1.5 to 2 hours before the cruise. As Matt said, I wouldn't plan on doing much sightseeing the day of unless you're doing an early morning, half day tour. Personally, I'd want to be to the port no later than 2 pm, although most of us try to get there as early as possible.

ah Dubai is on my list - check with www.viator.com - sometimes they have tours that will

pick you up at your hotel and drop you at the ship in time to embark = also www.shoretrips.com may

do this as well  - I would think, depending on where your hotel is in Dubai you could easily

do a morning of a few hours sight seeing.    Have fun

I'm going on my first cruise from Dubai over New Year.

I've booked a night in Dubai before the cruise.

I'm considering spending the day in Dubai before boarding. The ship sails at 6pm.

Not knowing how long the boarding process takes, what is the latest time to arrive at the port ?

Also, are there any things that I should pre book on the ship before leaving the UK ?

Any other first time cruise advice would be gratefully received.

Thanks.

I would recommend booking all of your shore excursions in advance of travel.  It is usually a lot of research to figure out what tours are available at the different ports and which one is best for you.  There are ship excursions that RCI will offer.  And then there are excursions that you can book independent from the ship.  

Your time on the cruise ship is your time to relax, not time to be doing research, etc...  

In addition, you might consider spending two nights in Dubai - pre cruise. 

Plan to see Dubai for a full day, the day before the ship sails.  

Board the ship at noon time and begin your first cruise with lunch onboard the ship! 

Congrats on your first cruise! 

My first was in 2002. 

Cruising is a GREAT way to travel and see the world! 

• 3 weeks later...