Western Caribbean Beach Ideas

lauraodonnell86

Hello all! We (myself, husband and 2 kids) are going on Liberty out of Galveston in May and I am in need of a few beach recommendations. We are stopping in Cozumel, Costa Maya, and Roatan. We've been to Cozumel but haven't been to the other 2 ports. I am looking for beaches that are semi close to the port due to 1 kiddo having car sick issues at times. We plan to be there for 4-5 hours. I have done some research on the blog (of course) and have a few good ideas but thought I'd reach out for a few more before making our decision! I am not necessarily wanting/needing an all inclusive but am not opposed to it if the price is right. ? 

Thanks so much for the input!! 

I am envious.  I love this itinerary.  We will be on LIB in August but we have the ol' Coz, GC, Falmouth itin.  UGH.

Costa Maya - There are some very nice options for this stop (Costa Maya is my favorite Mexico port !).  The easiest and cheapest option is to stay right in the compound.  IMO, Costa Maya has the nicest compound ever.  There is a nice swimming pool with swim-up bar, lots of restaurants and other bars and of course, lots of shopping.  If you want to keep it REAL cheap, staying put is probably the way to go.  My personal favorite is to go to Mahahual (short ride by trolley or taxi) and go to the Krazy Lobster.  The food and beer are cheap, they will give you loungers and/or table, hammocks and you can get a $20 massage on the beach !  Many people like Maya Chan but you have to be careful of the sea grass, which can be overwhelming sometimes.  I love this port !!

COZ - Not much I can say about Cozumel that hasn't been repeated by hundreds of others before me.  The last time we went to the beach in COZ (and it's been YEARS !) we went to San Francisco beach, which is the FREE beach right next to Paradise Beach.  No water toys to play on but if you just want to get wet, this is a nice option.  You will have to get a taxi.  I can't remember how much it costs but it's not much.

Roatan -  I do not get off the ship anymore at Roatan b/c of a very bad experience I had there years ago.  No need to get into the details...I just think the government is corrupt and leave it at that.

45 minutes ago, Matt said:

Cozumel: Paradise Beach is pretty close (maybe a 10 minute car ride)

Costa Maya: Krazy Lobster is a short taxi ride. I love Maya Chan but the taxi ride over would be no bueno for your son.

Thanks @Matt! I was actually looking at Paradise Beach and saw that it might be a good fit for us. I will check out Krazy Lobster! Just excited to be back on board Liberty!

• 2 weeks later...
6 minutes ago, lauraodonnell86 said:

Well, we had to move the cruise back a week due to snow days pushing school late. So now we are going to Jamaica, Cozumel and Grand Cayman. I am bummed to miss Costa Maya but excited to visit Grand Cayman for the 1st time. We missed it last year due to a medical emergency. 

Jamaica we did "resortforaday" with my Grandson and he loved.

Grand Cayman is a tender port, you need to be aware of the time in port, we were on Liberty in July/2018, and we were 10:30 - 6pm, but there is an awesome beach, 7 mile beach, all the beaches in Grand Cayman are public beaches even directly in front of a resort. We booked in to a beach Club called Royal Palms Beach Club, but you would be safe going to anywhere on the 7 mile beach.