Cozumel Excursion Planning

Heather3711

I'm planning my first cruise and have some questions about the Cozumel excursions offered through Royal Caribbean.  My husband and I will be on Liberty of the Seas (Feb 23-Mar 1, 2020) and I've been looking at the excursions offered right now on the Cruise Planner but I'm not seeing enough here for the Mayan Ruins.  My question is, will there be more excursions showing up between now and when we sail or is what listed it?  Second, has anyone booked an excursion that wasn't listed on the Cruise Planner?  If so, who did you use?  I've been seeing some better options for the Mayan Ruins on Ship Mate but not sure how reliable this will be, and since this is our first cruise I don't want to "miss the boat"...  Also, how do I know what time we will be arriving in Cozumel so I know how to book an excursion?  I think on the Cruise planner it shows we arrive at 7am and depart 4:30pm.  Is that ship time or local time in Cozumel?  Sorry for all the questions but just trying to plan this excursion, as this is something my husband really wants to see.  Is there a closer area in Cozumel that has ruins as well, were we don't have to spend all day in a ferry or a bus to get there? 

Thanks in advance!

26 minutes ago, Heather3711 said:

My question is, will there be more excursions showing up between now and when we sail or is what listed it? 

Not necessarily and more than likely, not. Keep in mind you can always try an excursion through a third party if what RC is offering isn't to your liking.

One other option you might consider is Private Journeys. It's a Royal Caribbean private tour option but you can customize it to your liking. Here's an example of one we tried: https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2017/02/28/review-royal-caribbeans-private-journeys-shore-excursion-curacao

26 minutes ago, Heather3711 said:

Second, has anyone booked an excursion that wasn't listed on the Cruise Planner?

All the time. Third party excursions are quite popular, primarily for the reason you cited.

28 minutes ago, Heather3711 said:

Also, how do I know what time we will be arriving in Cozumel so I know how to book an excursion?  I think on the Cruise planner it shows we arrive at 7am and depart 4:30pm.  Is that ship time or local time in Cozumel?

That's ship time and regardless of local time, that's the time you will be sticking to.  So assume you will be in Cozumel as early as about 7:30 (they need time to clear the ship by local officials) and you should be back onboard well before 4.

I typically book 3rd party excursions but I wouldn't in this case.  The ruins are on the mainland.  I suggest that if you are set to see the Mayan Ruins then you need to stick to an RC excursion.  It is a long travel day with the ferry and bus and too many things can go wrong to risk a non RC excursion.  Most of us stay on Cozumel as the ruins aren't worth 6 hour travel that includes a very seasick prone ferry ride plus a crazy bus trip.  When I see the ruins it will probably be from a land vacation in Cancun.  

Thank you all for the tips.  This has been very helpful!    I will share this with my husband and figure out what we want to do.  I'm leaning more towards just enjoying the beach and getting the lay of the land (so to speak).  We have never been to Cozumel either, so I'm sure we will find something that we can both agree on to do. 

18 minutes ago, melski94 said:

I typically book 3rd party excursions but I wouldn't in this case. 

TOTALLY agree with this.  We do 3rd party excursions on occasion but this is one situation where I would not even consider it.  Too far away from the ship and too many things can go wrong.  Recommend sticking with the ship excursions for these long distance, complicated trips. 

1 hour ago, melski94 said:

I typically book 3rd party excursions but I wouldn't in this case.

Ditto on this, also as @WAAAYTOOO , way to many things can happen on this mainland excursion.

54 minutes ago, Heather3711 said:

Are there any ruins in Cozumel you can see?  I think he just wants to see some cultural stuff instead of just sitting on the beach.  We don't snorkel or scuba..

There are a few but they are really nothing to speak of. You might consider booking an island cultural tour, just a general day tour that might involve restaurant/food etc..

22 hours ago, Heather3711 said:

Are there any ruins in Cozumel you can see?  I think he just wants to see some cultural stuff instead of just sitting on the beach.  We don't snorkel or scub a..

We went to Cozumel in April of 2018 and went to the San Gervasio ruins and Chocolate Tour thru RCI.  The ruins are not as majestic as the ones on the mainland but I found them interesting and was still amazed by the engineering that went into building the site.  i.e., they had paved (rock) roads and paths and an entrance arch.  Our tour guide was funny and provided a good commentary on the Mayan life.  We chose this one as I wasn't comfortable being able to make the trip to the mainland and didn't think the short time on site was worth the 6 hours of travel.

2 hours ago, DandA said:

We went to Cozumel in April of 2018 and went to the San Gervasio ruins and Chocolate Tour thru RCI.  The ruins are not as majestic as the ones on the mainland but I found them interesting and was still amazed by the engineering that went into building the site.  i.e., they had paved (rock) roads and paths and an entrance arch.  Our tour guide was funny and provided a good commentary on the Mayan life.  We chose this one as I wasn't comfortable being able to make the trip to the mainland and didn't think the short time on site was worth the 6 hours of travel.

This excursion is something I think he and I would be interested in.  Royal Caribbean doesn't have an excursion like this listed for our ship dates (Feb 23, 2020).  I found an excursion similar to this through the Shipmate app; I think the vendor is ShoreFox??  It's a Mayan Ruins & Beach Time excursion with a visit to the San Gervasio ruins and then beach time (with water activities) and food for $145/person (guaranteed Ship return). What do you think, is the price too high for something like this??

What other 3rd party vendors should I look at for an excursion to the San Gervasio ruins? Can you do this on your own without booking an excursion??   Thanks!

8 hours ago, Heather3711 said:

This excursion is something I think he and I would be interested in.  Royal Caribbean doesn't have an excursion like this listed for our ship dates (Feb 23, 2020).  I found an excursion similar to this through the Shipmate app; I think the vendor is ShoreFox??  It's a Mayan Ruins & Beach Time excursion with a visit to the San Gervasio ruins and then beach time (with water activities) and food for $145/person (guaranteed Ship return). What do you think, is the price too high for something like this??

What other 3rd party vendors should I look at for an excursion to the San Gervasio ruins? Can you do this on your own without booking an excursion??   Thanks!

We didn't encounter any mosquitoes on our trip, but I was prepared with bug repellant and sunscreen.  It was hot and humid in April.  I was trying to see how much we paid and I think it was $53.pp/pp so I think $145/pp is pretty high depending on what else they provide.  The ruins are in the interior of the island, I'm thinking it was a 1/2 hr to 3/4 hr from the port, the whole tour was around 6 hours.  If your using a travel agent check with them on excursions if not I'd shop around.  You can rent a car on the island but I have no experience with that.  Next time I plan to do a trike tour around the island (Cozumel Trikes). 

In my opinion the ruins in Cozumel are not as grand like the ones in Tulum on the mainland. You might be better off visiting Tulum if you ever fly to the Riviera Maya or Cancun and stay for a few days since you will have more time. The San Gervasio ruins do not reflect the majesty the other Mayan ruins do. 

We love going to Cozumel, it is our favorite port in Mexico.  Last time we were there I could not decide which beach to visit  since some of wanted to snorkel and some just wanted relaxation.  I was going to hire a driver for that day so he could take us to several beaches.  I was recommended Taz Miranda.  He has a Facebook page, and you can message him.  Unfortunately for us, we had rain in the forecast so we decided not to go to any beach! As a result, I cannot personally recommend him, but he has great reviews. Maybe you can ask him to take you to the ruins since he will be your personal driver for the day, you might even have time to visit a beach. 

If you decide to visit a beach instead of the ruins, I have read good reviews about Nachi Cocom beach. You might have a more enjoyable time since they have limited capacity and you can book online. We used to go to Mr. Sanchos, but it got too big and too crowded. 

A restaurant we visit every time we are in Cozumel for the day is Chi, great Chinese food, and their garlic chicken wings are amazing!  This restaurant caters to the ship's crew so you might run into your waiter or cabin steward.  They have free WiFi if you eat there and that is when we check on the family back in the U.S.  It is located in a three story white building across the street from Carnivals' pier. The restaurant is located on the second floor.

https://www.tripadvisor.com/Restaurant_Review-g150809-d1308581-Reviews-Chi-Cozumel_Yucatan_Peninsula.html#photos;aggregationId=101&albumid=101&filter=7&ff=247843415

I hope you have a great time in Cozumel!

Just not sure how active you want to be but my crew went on the XPLOR-All Inclusive Adventure - CZL3 and stated they had the best time ever. You really get your money's worth on this one and they serve an amazing lunch to boot. It's a lengthy excursion sponsored by Royal Caribbean - they make sure you get back to the ship on time as well. The weather was gorgeous for the November 2018 (Thanksgiving Cruise). Since it's your first cruise it is best to book through Royal Caribbean Excursions. I have not had a problem in the past. Have Fun! :) 

We went to Tulum on February 2nd of this year while on a Mariner cruise.  There is a 45 minute or so ferry ride to the mainland along with a bus ride (that's closer to an hour) to Tulum.

We booked through Royal Caribbean, and the tour group consisted of people from our ship and Brilliance of the Seas.  We were a little behind schedule getting back to the ferry to Cozumel, but the tour guide told us not to worry because we had all booked through Royal, and they would not leave without us.  The all-onboard time was 6:30 pm, and it was close to 6 by the time we got back aboard.  It was a little nerve wracking.

The group was large, and we could only go as fast as the slowest people.  At times we felt "herded".   I wish we would have had more time at the ruins.  There is so much to see. 

In talking to our cruise-savvy table mates at dinner the next night, they told us that third party tours can sometimes be better because there are less people and more time to see what you are looking at.  That being said, I would be nervous going that far away from the ship on a third party tour.

We are headed back to Cozumel on Vision in October, and as much as we'd like to go back and see more, we will be staying on the island.