The KEY

jhatle01

Does anyone know if "The KEY" sells out like other packages/excursions?  I know it is still relatively new for RC.  I will be going on my first RC cruise in April and we purchased it.  Carnival, which I have previously cruised, has something similar called "Faster to the Fun" without most of the features associated with the key and there are a finite number per cruise that are available and it sells out very quickly.  The main reason I am curious is because on embarkation day for the included lunch at Chops will it be able to handle the amount of people if they make it available to every cruiser and for the reserved seating for shows?

Thank you @twangster for your review of your experience with the Key last month!

https://www.royalcaribbeanblog.com/2018/12/04/review-royal-caribbeans-the-key-vip-guest-experience

We looked more closely at it this weekend as we were deciding on the deluxe drink package (currently $49/person). Since we were planning on getting at least VOOM for one device, and possibly two, with the drink package/VOOM combo ($60/person), it made the decision to purchase the Key ($19.99/person) much easier. It's effectively only $9/day more per person for all of the other perks!

20 hours ago, twangster said:

Boarding Indy this week I observed under 50 boarding after suites when the Key was called.  Some Key guests may arrive after initial boarding.   

Like FTTF (former Carnival cruise here) they don’t publish numbers either.  

Only time will tell.  

@twangster do you think it’s worthwhile getting the Key on Indy? We’re sailing 15April... ship might be quite full since it’s the week before Easter.. so I was just wondering. 

8 minutes ago, SAgirl76 said:

@twangster do you think it’s worthwhile getting the Key on Indy? We’re sailing 15April... ship might be quite full since it’s the week before Easter.. so I was just wondering. 

This is a personal question.  Like 'should I get a drink package' or 'dining package'  or 'photo package'.  

You can cruise and have a great time without buying a drink package, dining package, photo package, internet package (Voom) or The Key. 

If you tend to buy Voom and like to be 'connected' that's a big part of the Key.  If you like to show up and skirt long lines and have special access for some people that is golden, others not so much.  

I really can't tell you "yes, you NEED the Key"  or " No Way!"  no more than I can tell you MUST book a balcony or suite over an inside cabin.    We all cruise differently.   

1 hour ago, marcg125 said:

I would check the details again for The Key in the cruise planner as they have changed for my sailing as well as others I heard from another blog (choice of Jaime's or Giovannis instead of just Chops; need to reserve shows in advance).

Thank you for the heads up on this! I had heard from others that there was conflicting information between the CP description and what happened on board so I'm glad they updated the information to provide clarity. Maybe this will cutback on disappointment for some. It's nice that they now have 2 different venue choices, though I think I will still stick with Chops. 

FYI... I just got off of the phone with RC customer service and they confirmed that the entertainment reservation policy was changed back to the way it was originally rolled out (as @twangster experienced it in DEC). She explained that it may still appear incorrectly in the Cruise Planner (stating no reservations required).

At least for my cruise (Allure, 5/19/19), we now have to make reservations (makes sense since they could run into seating capacity problems if the majority of the Key "holders" arrive to the same show!)... a little disappointed that we lose that flexibility, but I'm glad that @marcg125 mentioned it so it won't be a surprise!

109 days!!!

55 minutes ago, VolFanInGa said:

Good morning, @twangster- Have you noticed if the special Flowrider times are published in the Compass this week?

Not here on Indy.  I've not yet run into any closed activities signed off for Key only but I haven't gone looking for it either.  

To be honest if i didn't see Key people during boarding on day one I wouldn't know the program existed.  Just lucky I guess.  

One of the reasons I bought "The Key" for my upcoming cruise was so I didn't have to make reservations for entertainment. I checked my Cruise Planner and that has changed. I haven't had to make reservations before (this is my first Oasis class ship) and entertainment has not opened up for reservations yet (108 days to go!). My question is, do the entertainment venues show where you can reserve with "The Key" when you go to make those reservations? Thanks!

Just now, kontraxed said:

Yes. I'm assuming they show you a layout of all the seats. Do they identify which seats are eligible (and available) to be reserved if you have the Key? Thanks.

When you make show reservations you aren't reserving seats you are just guaranteeing your entrance to that show.  The Key will have a reserved section that you will have access to once you get into the theater.

I've read a few posts on the "other" site and it seems that the Key reserved area is generally the same as the Suites/Pinnacles area.  I also read a post (can't remember which ship they were on) where they seemed to be up front right behind the Star Class folks so I think the Key reserved show area varies ship-to-ship (who''s surprised ???).

It seems that there are some very disappointed people who thought that they would have guaranteed "premium" seats only to find that when they got to the reserved area (15 minutes prior to the show) that there were only a few scattered seats (onesies and twosies) available and often behind obstacles where they didn't have a good view at all.  This scenario seemed to be prevalent on Anthem in 270 so for those who are on Anthem, it seems as though the recommendation would be to get there early (even though one of the benefits of having The Key is that you DON'T have to get there early) if you want a good seat - particularly in 270.

Still unclear whether The Key gives you priority to the bumper cars.  The bumper cars are not on the list of priority venues but neither was iFly at first and now it appears to be included. 

It also appears that they have expanded the program to include not only Chops for lunch on embark day but also the option of going to Giovanni's/Jaimie's.

It seems to me that this program has had a very good opening response - so much so that they are opening up another specialty restaurant as an option (which means that they are likely increasing the number of Key spots for sale).  They also seem to be making real-time changes to the program.  I know that there has been significant confusion about whether or not show reservations must be made before boarding (for ships where reservations are accepted), they have added early access to staterooms which was not an original perk.  The result of these shifting amenities is likely to be confusion and disappointment - especially if they start selling this special access in very large numbers.

I guess we'll see.

2 hours ago, kontraxed said:

Yes. I'm assuming they show you a layout of all the seats. Do they identify which seats are eligible (and available) to be reserved if you have the Key? Thanks.

2 hours ago, AshleyDillo said:

When you make show reservations you aren't reserving seats you are just guaranteeing your entrance to that show.  The Key will have a reserved section that you will have access to once you get into the theater.

As @AshleyDillo , says your reservation gets you in the door before everyone else is allowed to enter, once you enter the theater or the Aqua theater or Ice Show there will be people with signs showing where the reserved seats for the Key are (As well as Diamond+ and Pinnacle) Star Class reserved seats may or may not be different but they will have a red sash over the seat back that says Star Class reserved.

15 minutes before the show they will start letting everyone in but the week before last on Allure they held the reserved seats until about 5 minutes before the show and then released them.

As Star Class on the Allure sailing we were still told by the Genie to get to the show 15 minutes before to make sure there were no issues with our seats.

At the Ice show they even removed the Star Class reserved off of the seats about 10 minutes before the show and there was 3 people that about knocked my wife and I over trying to get these really good seats when they were opened and I thought how rude of them, but come to find out they were Mother, Father and Brother of one of the main male skaters. They had never seen him skate on the ship, he couldn't acknolwledge them when he was skating but during one quite moment he shouted "Hi" from the wings and everyone clapped.

18 minutes ago, SpeedNoodles said:

I have The Key for my sailing on Mariner next Monday - I can report back what I find, although it might not answer questions for those sailing on the Oasis-class ships.  But I'll tell  you what I know from my sailling anyway.

If you are sailing out of Terminal A in Miami can you tell us of The Key experience from that aspect when you arrive at the terminal (I notice that the terminal has sign's for Suites & Pinnacles when you walk in the door but not sure where The Key people are led when they walk in the terminal).

I bet that is why they are making "Key" holders make reservations again... otherwise they have no control over how many show up on any given performance and cannot guarantee decent seating. We'll make sure to get there at least 20 minutes prior to showtime!

... and I bet by requiring reservations, they will increase the number of "Key" holders on each cruise since they can better manage the seating... anything to increase revenue! ?

3 hours ago, marcg125 said:

If you are sailing out of Terminal A in Miami can you tell us of The Key experience from that aspect when you arrive at the terminal (I notice that the terminal has sign's for Suites & Pinnacles when you walk in the door but not sure where The Key people are led when they walk in the terminal).

Yes, we will be sailing out of Terminal A, so I will be sure to document it for you!

I purchased the Key for my March 5th cruise on the Radiance of the Sea leaving Sydney, Australia.  I just reviewed the Key description.  Here are the latest benefits.

Summary of your benefits: 
• Priority check-in and boarding. Upon your arrival at the terminal, follow The Key check-in signage to your designated waiting area. 
• Carry-on bag drop off and delivery to stateroom. Drop-off located in main theater onboard and available until 1:30pm. Up to 2 carry-on bags per guest. 
• Exclusive embarkation lunch at Chops Grille® - seating from 11:30am – 1:30pm. 
• Private hours at onboard activities including Rock Climbing, FlowRider and more. The private hours schedule will be provided at check-in. 
• Priority port of call debarkation. 
• Reserved VIP seating at shows in the Main Theater, AquaTheater and Studio B. No reservations required pre-cruise or onboard. 
VOOM ® Surf & Stream 1 Device high speed internet. 
• Choice debarkation with exclusive A La Carte breakfast from 6:30 am – 9:00 am.

* When you receive your SeaPass card, it will have an icon confirming your purchase of The Key. The Key must be purchased prior to sailing by each guest age 6 or older assigned to the same stateroom.