Sol y Mar, Roatan or Tabyana for beach break.

Oli

Has anyone any experience of the Sol Y Mar beach club in Roatan?

For a simple beach break it is relatively cheap, in fact the cheapest beach excursion or so it appears in my cruise planner.

I have seen many reviews of Tabyana, but at double the price, is this extra justified?

Oli

• 2 weeks later...

I know this doesn’t directly answer your question but thought I’d chime in. We went to Tabyana and loved it.  It’s a pretty basic facility but the beach was beautiful and the best snorkeling is directly in front. The food was included and very good - burgers, BBQ chicken, etc. drinks were extra but good (although a little string for our taste!). There is Security to prevent the locals selling goods from coming onto their property so they stroll back and forth along the shore.  The highlight of my whole trip was walking the beach and watching the vendors come by!

C3147BCB-CAD1-4015-8D3A-A988DEB7848E.jpeg

68F63475-0FB3-4CC3-99FC-7ADD41F80B3C.jpeg

5105F441-3EE9-41AE-ADC1-D69DF05E2CF3.jpeg

3C46956A-D4C4-42FE-9C72-2F271A959E1E.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

I’ve done Sol y Mar. Was a last minute deal. Found some Victor Bodden people in the port area. Took us there for $40 total. Sabrina was the driver, very nice young girl. It’s a really nice place. Weather wasn’t great, but I could see having a really nice day in sunny weather. Drink choices limited. It’s not exactly Mr Sancho’s. It’s a very new place, I think someone said it’s only been open a year or so. 

Well, in time end we done Sol Y Mar through rccl. It was really well organised and we went on the afternoon session, departing at noon and returning at 4pm.

We choose it primarily as it was cheap and we just wanted a basic beach break.

Must say,  it was clean, drinks were reasonably priced and although it was jam packed, they worked very hard to find us beach chairs on arrival.

The sea was relatively rough considering it is sheltered by a reef and therefore the sea was cloudy until you got out a hundred yards or so.

All in all, I thought it was worth the £20 I paid. I did note they were charging around $40 on the ship though, not sure if I would have thought it such good value for a ten min bus ride to a non inclusive beach at that price.