A Big Cruise Line Leaves Tampa

Unsurprising (for a Tampa resident) and likely to occur more frequently as the smaller ships keep retiring.

Cant remember which government it was in the area that did it but one of them ran a study about 3-4 years ago trying to figure out whether there was an alternate location to locate a cruise terminal outside the skyway bridge (limiting factor for entering Tampa Bay), they published a couple of locations that were immediately shredded by environmentalists and so that alternative will never be broached again.

I think Tampa will continue to be a small ship alternative for a few more years and then unfortunately die off as a cruise port.

Just now, jticarruthers said:

Unsurprising (for a Tampa resident) and likely to occur more frequently as the smaller ships keep retiring.

Cant remember which government it was in the area that did it but one of them ran a study about 3-4 years ago trying to figure out whether there was an alternate location to locate a cruise terminal outside the skyway bridge (limiting factor for entering Tampa Bay), they published a couple of locations that were immediately shredded by environmentalists and so that alternative will never be broached again.

I think Tampa will continue to be a small ship alternative for a few more years and then unfortunately die off as a cruise port.

That's exactly what would happen in Baltimore ..... if they tried to build south of Annapolis (below the Bay Bridge), the environmental hoops to be jumped through would be so enormous, it would never come to fruition.

33 minutes ago, coneyraven said:

That's exactly what would happen in Baltimore ..... if they tried to build south of Annapolis (below the Bay Bridge), the environmental hoops to be jumped through would be so enormous, it would never come to fruition.

Agree. Too bad Baltimore port is close to my home. How about big companies dump toxic wastewater to the bay but of course they pay $ to the state so that exception but the cruise ship will hurt the environment. What? (Scratch my head) ☹️

3 hours ago, monctonguy said:

It wont die off till there are no more smaller ships......that wont be a few years..maybe in a decade or two..

with 1,000,000 passengers a year still a demand out of Tampa...in spite of the bridge...and the fog!

Definitely a few years of life left in the port ... 1,000,000 a year sounds like a lot but I think that's like two sailings of an Oasis class (I know not really)

I have sailed out of Tampa, Port Canaveral and Port Everglades and Tampa is by far my favoitre.  It was pricey, but we could literally get to everything and not drive, and I found Ybor City to be just so much fun.  We cruised from Tampa our first cruise in 2015 and I booked Rhapsody in part for 2020 so my husband could cruise out (that and we got a great price on a smaller ship after booking allure this spring break).  I hope that the industry continues to revamp these smaller ships (and disembarkation ports), because I really think they provide a niche for the cruiser that looks for paying less (esp. when you are flying and paying a fortune already to get to Florida), more flexibility in cruise ports that can accommodate a smaller ship, and a closer relationship to the sea.  Jane