Labadee...for those who know! ;-)

sp113

Hello All! Got Labadee on the itinerary in February.

We have been twice before. It's nice, but am wondering:

1.) Is it worth staying on the ship for anything? I've heard there are some spa deals, etc for people who don't disembark in ports. Has anyone stayed on board in Labadee? Is there any reason to stay onboard?

2.) Is getting one of those cabana things worth the price? Is there a benefit to it? (I heard they were expensive and hard to reserve.)

We found in the past that it was difficult to get beach chairs in front of the area to swim.

While it is pretty, we wondered if there is a way to enjoy this day better onboard or offboard.

Thanks for your thoughts!

S

The only reason to stay on board in Labadee is if you are not a beach person.  

Yes there will be spa deals in port just as there are in most ports.  Lines in places like the Windjammer will be shorter in port.  

If you desire front row chairs get off early.  No different than the pool deck.  Getting up at 10am on a sea day and expecting front row pool chairs is going to lead to disappointment.  Getting off at Labadee late will yield similar results but plenty of seats further from the front line of the beach will be available. 

Cabanas and less expensive alternatives are popular so they sell out quickly.  On a smaller ship that is less of any issue but still occurs.  Book them early, months before sailing if it's important to you.  

Consider exploring Labadee beyond the beach.  The nature trails, some excursions by boat that take you down the coast to see more of Haiti for example.  

I love Labadee.  I'll be there soon, for nearly the 10th time.  Still one of my favorite stops.

Beach bungalows ($200-$250) are a less expensive option to the cabanas ($400+).  They hold 8 people so it is a really good deal if you have a group. These are on Columbus Cove which is a great swimming beach.  There are only 8 and you do need to reserve them online in the cruise planner a few months before your cruise.  They don't always sell out but if you don't see the option on the cruise planner that means they are sold out. 

Other options are beach beds or the clamshells that are less expensive but a decent price if you don't want to fight for a beach chair.  

On port days, there are still things to do on the ship.  There are just less organized activities and more limited hours for things like the flowrider, slides, etc.  The spa does have port day sales (you can see those in the cruise planner now). 

We love Labadee and usually always go off the ship.  We may skip another port to have a ship day.

Regarding the cabanas...if you have a larger group (up to 6 persons) and especially if you have small children in the group, the cabana is worth the cost.  If, however, it is just 2 of you, I would say that one of the less expensive options should be considered.  We no longer get off in Labadee and usually do a spa day or just enjoy the ship but we aren't beach people to start with and I can no longer make that trek down that LONG pier comfortably.

11 minutes ago, JBC said:

The Bungalows in Labadee are worth every penny imo and I book one every time I am there.  It is the first thing I do once my cruise is booked and the cruise planner is open. 

Ditto for the cabanas. I love to splurge for them!

11 hours ago, Matt said:

Ditto for the cabanas. I love to splurge for them!

I second this. I've only been to Labadee once, but the Cabana for my family of four was worth every penny.

And regarding the cost -- Maybe this is becoming less frequent, but I got a cabana for under $300 when we went there on Freedom last April. It was a one-time deal that I spotted somewhere around a year before sail date, but if you check regularly you can find deals like this. You can always start off by booking the bungalow, and then if you spy the cabana for as good or better a price, cancel the bungalow and switch over to the cabana.

12 hours ago, JLMoran said:

And regarding the cost -- Maybe this is becoming less frequent, but I got a cabana for under $300 when we went there on Freedom last April. It was a one-time deal that I spotted somewhere around a year before sail date, but if you check regularly you can find deals like this. You can always start off by booking the bungalow, and then if you spy the cabana for as good or better a price, cancel the bungalow and switch over to the cabana.

Regarding the cost, if you break down the cost per person, per hour, a cabana is an excellent value compared to other shore excursions.

• 2 weeks later...

The water park at Labadee is the inflatables in the water.  At least that is what I am assuming you are referring to.  The bungalows are very close, I don't believe the cabanas are.  For that water park though, you have to buy a time slot, they are 1 hour increments.  I don't believe there is an all day pass, unless they changed that.